Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glorification Of Serial Killers In Our Times...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glorification Of Serial Killers In Our Times...

.....I wanted to initiate this thread to perhaps discuss the ways in which serial killers have become fused into our civilization. From our ideas on their development to the impact they have on our own psyches. Everyone with ideas,please contribute to the thread.....I'll open with the media. I believe that they contribute to the numbing of people in a variety of ways....whats your take on it?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

!@#$ the media

IMHO, the media glorifies this kind of thing. Look at all the crime shows on TV - CSI, etc. Our buddy Patsy seems incapable of writing about anything else, and her novels sell in the millions. Sensational trials with 24/7 coverage by newspapers, magazines, investigative reporters, etc. all overload us such that we become inured to it, and the perps become instant celebrities.

The more outrageous the better....

Comment

Tim.........Like to have a dollar for everytime you saw a Jason mask on Halloween? Me too.....How about a dollar for everytime you saw Anthony Hopkins' mug on a bus kiosk or even the bus itself,promoting HANNIBAL ? Whats next? Trading cards of s.k.'s? Oh yeah.....thats been done. A "GOT MILK?" t-shirt with Manson's face on it? They've "Got" them too !
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

imo the media must take some responsibility in that they promote some types of crimes into seemingly epedemic proportions, in particular crimes against children. If one was to look at the actual volumes of this type of crime it is actually a lot lower than the media would have us believe. That is not to say it is any less horrific

In England we had the case of James Bulger who was killed by two school children. In the house of one of the killers was the video Childs play 3. One of the tabloids began a campaign to burn this 'vile' movie, many people followed the initiative despite the fact that there was no evidence that the boy in question had even seen it. This is the power of the media.

Dr Lecter is now perceived as some form of hero, but lets not forget that Rambo killed many more people and in some quarters is also a hero.

I know about the trading cards - ive got them, but not the t-shirt. Altthough you can purchase a cd of manson 'live at san quentin'

Mart

Comment

Roll Over Baumeister,Tell Ted Bundy The News !!!

Mart: Yeah....I had a vinyl LP of Manson,funded by Dennis Wilson,from 1968 or '69.......I had it 33 years ago and gave it away. It had the Manson girls singing in the background. Classics like "Garbage Dump" were on it.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

a manson song is on the Guns and Roses album - the Spaghetti Junction. Campaigners wanted it banned because of the connection

Mart

Comment

Mart...You're on target about Rambo killing more than Dr Lector. No question. The Heroic Ethos of the West,from Charles Martel to Field Marshal "Monty" ( not our Monty....the other guy) has always minimalized savagery in the field of battle. There there are identifiable combatants. In serial killing,as you know,there is only perp and victim. However,scumbags like Himmler and Heydrich and Stalin could be classified as "state-sanctioned serial killers".....
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Media Disservice ?

Folks........Does the media do us,as a society, a disservice with the promulgation of the idea that "profilers" are valuable in the apprehension and capture of s.k.'s ?
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

there isnt a case where a profile has directly led to the apprehension of a serial killer.

Everyone remembers the total error, made worse by media hype, of the white van in the washington sniper case. Suspicion of neighbours increased, yet the true killers continued.

The reverse however is also true, in the Sutcliffe case in England, the police got in badly wrong in believing a hoax and used the media to help their case.

Mart

Comment

Regarding The Maryland Snipers

Mart...thats a great example. I remember watching this talking head on television while at work,a profiler, blabbering about how this crime was "probably" being committed by a disgruntled White guy,25-30,blah blah blah,.....A Puerto Rican co-worker made a joke about how it had to be a White guy...I asked him why he would say that,knowing full well what his reply would be. He said, "Thats a kind of crime White guys do. I heard that before." When the guys were eventually nabbed and descriptions given,the friend said, "Wow...thats a surprise, I thought they were White guys." Profiler,take a bow.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Profiling is based on statistics, so its more likely............ which is why it was so wrong.

I believe there is a case to revisit the statistics again, based on social changes etc

mart

Comment

By bombarding us with story after story, and grisly photo after photo of serial killers and their handywork, it's only natural they numb us as a result. The military trains a soldier to kill in much the same fashion. Exposure through repetition, in hopes it will become second nature, and eventually lose it's emotional effect on the soldier. My former boss served in Viet Nam, and he told me he was trained in much the same way, for the same desired effect. "My first kill, I puked my guts out.", he told me. "After that, the rest were a piece of cake.".
                        So it goes without saying, the more the media serves out the gruesome details of serial killers, and portrays them in a light that makes them appear more like celebrities than criminals, the more they, and their crimes, will lose their shock value. Remember when Bundy was shocking? Yup. Is he by today's standards? Nope. He's yesterday's news. Because Dahmer not only killed his victim's, but had sex with them, and eventually ate them afterwards.
                        How many TV shows are there centered around serial homocide? I won't even bother to count. There's that many. That speaks volumes as well. So I wonder why we become numb in that aspect.
                        Serial killers develop no differnently than anyone else. I've known countless people, raised under the very same harsh, deprived, and abusive conditions some serial killers have been raised under. Regardless of their past situations, they've turned out to be productive members of society. From bankers, to police officers, to ordained ministers. In my opinion, where the two deviate, is in the concept of free will. One will choose not to use their past as an excuse to hurt others, while some will. With the exception of the occasional case of "mental incompetency", due to illness or injury. But even then, how hard is it to grasp the concept, that, outside of self defense, it's wrong to kill?

Comment

Ghost........Outstanding and accurate point about how there are many people who suffer as much as s.k.'s,yet don't sink to that level. Ghost, is it the amount of conscience that we innately have and do our damndest to maintain contrasted to the lack of conscience and concern in retaining it in s.k.'s ,that separates us ? Your opinion,sir.....
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

All and especially Mart and Jacqui: Since your site deals with serial killers from all over the world, is it just in the West that this numbing that Ghost mentions in relation to the "absorption" of serial killers occurs ? Do you see this pattern anywhere else in the world,or is it something peculiar to the Western Civilization, my country above all? I would appreciate your expertise in answering this question. Thanks.........
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Howard....

I have tried to examine that question, in many different directions, and using many different schools of thought. In the end, I STILL maintain, that a person, and their subsequent actions, rests soley on their shoulders. With the occasional exception, of those too damaged or ill psychologically to know right from wrong. In those cases (and I truly believe they are VERY few), I think it is up to society as a whole, and the established federal government, to monitor, and care for those few who pose a threat to society. If they don't, they are, in essence, a walking time bomb, with no right to be out amongst normal society. They are just TOO dangerous, in their inability to distinguish right from wrong, and nobody should have to lose their life as a result.
                              For those of us of sound mind (the majority), we HAVE this ability. As a result, no matter how harsh, abusive, or unfair the circumstances around us are, we conciously decide what to do in such situations. A person consiously decides to take the route of a sociopath, and to find their actions excusable in their own mind, as a result of all they have been though. They WILL it to be that way, and their actions follow suit. They WILL themselves to see it in whichever light best allows them to do as they wish. They CHOOSE not to care. The CHOOSE to kill. They CHOOSE to perpetuate the pain inflicted upon them. Even unto people whom are completely innocent strangers, in some cases. A strong-willed person presses forth through the worst adversity imaginable, and breaks the cycle. A weak-willed person perpetuates it, and ruins lives in the process.

We all have the same "amount" of concious. Some just choose to ignore their's.

Comment

Working...
                              X