Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glorification Of Serial Killers In Our Times...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghost........Thanks for the reply.I agree with you,because I am of the opinion that "disheveled types" like our Kosminski( for example ) ARE NOT in control of their destiny,but rather a bad break with the genetic make-up....To me,and I hope Mart reads this thread, it appears that serial killers fall in between the "disheveled types" and "us"...What differentiates them is ,as you stated so correctly, the DENIAL of application of conscience in social/personal affairs. Ego, revenge, and low self-esteem( or exaggerated self -esteem ) seem to be the prime factors in the creation of this type...not poverty( Kentucky,Haiti,Portugal all under-represented in s.k. activity,yet very poor comparitively)...However,California,Washington(sta te),and Florida aren't poor by any stretch.Yet one can find a disproportionate amount of serial killers in each of these three states.... No serial killers found recently on Canadian Indian reservations or their American counterparts....Good post,my friend....
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

It depends what you mean by numbing. The public, certainly in the western world, has become casually numbed to the shock that death brings, it takes something unusual to really grab the attention. But this is also true with so many things in life. For example, television programmes are rarely unique, but when one does come along it becomes a highlight, but this can result in the format being copied by other programs and so the cycle repeats until the next effort to be different. Perhaps the need for geater and greater forms of entertainment has a part for some sk's?

To be fair the numbers of serial killers worldwide are nowhere near as high as in the US so its more difficult to identify patterns of causes. In the 1990's South Africa had a sudden 'explosion' in cases of blacks. China had a similar increase of cases in 2003.

i believe, as Howard knows, that social choice plays a large part in the development of serial killers, but once you get past the initialization of their spree, the origins of their reasons become lost as habit begins to take over. The need to kill becomes greater than the need to live 'normally'. As with a drug, the need to get a high, is replaced by the need to avoid feeling low. Of course this will never answer all sk's as each case must be analysed on its own. For each case that fits a theory there is another that does not.

Mart

Comment

Nietzsche said that "Once one acheives one's goal,one has automatically gone past it..." (Beyond Good and Evil...I think !). A great post with much to learn from Mart ( and Ghost's likewise ) below. Its unfortunate that a few profilers don't take the time to examine the last two sentences Mart wrote. Each case must be taken as unique. Here's another question( unless someone else wished to add to Mart and Ghost's posts....)= Does the media give ideas to serial killers with some of the bizarre films and programs they broadcast?
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Howard, i didnt mean each case was unique, just that each case must be judged seperately. Its too easy to place serial killers into easy to read categories, without looking at the causes of each.

i think it was Ressler who said that TV plays no part in people becoming criminals, but may give them ideas of how to do it. He was suggesting that the individual is already on the path of crime. The argument could be taken both ways, do programs like CSI, Law and Order etc show the futilty of trying to escape justice.

Mart

Comment

I stand corrected Mart....Ressler does make a very valid point....Thanks buddy !
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Indeed, profilers have attempted to profile JTR with mixed results in their arguments. Profiling came about through interviews with American serial killers during the 70's. So many things changed between these interviews and England in the 1880's.

Mart

Comment

Working...
              X