Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I've no idea who the individual in this brief paragraph is...but I thought it was interesting that a Malay knife was mentioned...along with JTR....in a newspaper from Nevada...at the time of the murders ( two days after the death of Rose Mylett).

Reno Evening Gazette
    December 12, 1888

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Bump Up

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Chris:

I'm sure you've encountered the following two stories...one of the Malay sailor who was murdered in 1887 ( by three men, all three recieving a death sentence...) and another in 1891 where a Malay murdered the Captain of a British vessel.
    I'll give the Malay sailors the once over twice later and maybe something will materialize
    Yours
    Spongebob

Leave a comment:

• Chris Scott
    replied
    many thanks,amigo - appreciated

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Chris:

I found it.

Bucks County (Pa) Gazette
    November 29, 1888

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Bob:

Thats right...it was Sing Sing.
    I don't know where the article is at the moment ( I'll probably run into it accidentally)...but I'll try, Chris.

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    I think it was Sing Sing, which made it all the more remarkable.

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    There is an article which was written in 1889...an interview of some inmates of a jail ( either in London...or in Sing Sing in New York ) and they offered their views of who the Ripper was/what he was.

One of the convicts ( a man ) singled out a Malay seaman...I had forgotten to mention this to you and I just remembered it now.

The article is here on the boards.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Scott
    replied
    many thanks How
    I will be following that up...

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Bump Up:

Dear Chris Scott,senor...

There is an article which was written in 1889...an interview of some inmates of a jail ( either in London...or in Sing Sing in New York ) and they offered their views of who the Ripper was/what he was.

One of the convicts ( a man ) singled out a Malay seaman...I had forgotten to mention this to you and I just remembered it now.

The article is here on the boards.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Bob:

I set up a thread to discuss the issue elsewhere and took your last post along with it.
    http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....157#post123157

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    ...and since all the victims were considered natives or at least, actual non-Eastern Europeans...then why would the brass in 1888 prefer the perpetrator to be of The Other ?

Doesn't every society wish its monsters to be Others ?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Bob:

Please go back and re-read my previous post because I edited four words which now are in order ( the unemboldened ones). My mistake.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this point about whom the police would prefer seeing as the murderer. I don't think that any of the high ranking officials (desk jockeys) including superintendents or inspectors "wanted" the killer to be anything other than captured.

Let me give you a quick example of what I mean.

If a serial killer is loose...as one was...in Atlanta thirty years ago...and the individual committing the murders at hand has been theorized as an outsider ( in this case...a White Man...as all the victims were negroes) or theorized as being possibly sheltered by his kinsmen ( as in the Atlanta Child Murder case where the Georgia Klan was wildly and inaccurately theorized as being involved with in some way...which would constitute conspiracy...conspiracy obviously meaning more than one person being involved in some capacity )...the last thing the Atlanta police heirarchy would want is a White Man or White men being involved. We'd still be seeing pictures of burning buildings on Peachtree Street if a White man had been arrested,tried and convicted, if it would have gone through the three processes in the first place.

I believe the same holds true here 80 years before in London.

Stride,being a Swede, had lived in London for so long that she could be considered for this experiment as a native, despite her birth in Sweden. If Stride can't be considered a native, then why is Kelly...if you get my drift. ...and since all the victims were considered natives or at least, actual non-Eastern Europeans...then why would the brass in 1888 prefer the perpetrator to be of The Other ?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
    replied
    I remember I think Chris G pointing out that the number of Malay/Lascar sailors employed and possibly ashore in London numbered in their thousands

I agree with SRA that this theory of a Malay cook is connected to the idea that the killer must be a foreigner

The Malay cook theory also tries to explain the savagery of the Ripper murders by allying it to the "running amok" knife frenzy of a Malay - Tabram was a good example as well as the C5

An interesting thing I found out about the Kris type of knife is that it has a very narrow, pencil-like tang and would not be used for any type of slashing move, it was always a stabbing weapon, even though it had an edge

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    I should have been more precise, How. When I said "cops" I was thinking of the top brass, not the guys with their necks on the line out on the streets. You might still disagree but I think the "Insane Jew Posse" is but a reflection that this sort of thing just wasn't done by proper British citizens. And nailing a foreigner and a non-white to boot would have been even better.

I think Alaska is precisely the kind of guy the cops had hoped the Ripper would be, not British and certainly not a gentleman. The Jews were the next best thing -Sir Bob

Actually,I would disagree somewhat with that first one, Bob....and absolutely with the second underlined phrase.
    If the murderer had been apprehended,convicted,sentenced and had been a non-White such as a Malay...there may well have been a backlash against sailors who were native born men of color. You can see disturbances materializing.
    And..if it had been a Jew, who would have had to control the easy-to-concieve riots which would have followed ? That's right. The overworked and underpaid constable.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I think Alaska is precisely the kind of guy the cops had hoped the Ripper would be, not British and certainly not a gentleman. The Jews were the next best thing -Sir Bob

Actually,I would disagree somewhat with that first one, Bob....and absolutely with the second underlined phrase.
    If the murderer had been apprehended,convicted,sentenced and had been a non-White such as a Malay...there may well have been a backlash against sailors who were men of color. You can see disturbances materializing.
    And..if it had been a Jew, who would have had to control the easy-to-concieve riots which would have followed ? That's right. The overworked and underpaid constable.
    Last edited by Howard Brown; December 18, 2010, 06:31 PM. Reason: edited the unemboldened line...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X