Isenschmid and the mysterious George Tyler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isenschmid and the mysterious George Tyler

As many of you will know, George Tyler was the man who brought Jacob Isenschmid to the attention of the two local Doctors, who in turn reported our Swiss butcher to the Police.

I am always intrigued by the fact that Sgt Thick visited 60 Mitford St a number of times without success to interview Tyler. Thick could not even establish Tyler`s place of employment, and when he visited the address on a Sunday he is told that Tyler had removed himself to new lodgings that day.

Tyler is described as Isenschmid`s landlord, but at best, as can be seen from the above paragraph, Tyler could only have been sub-letting a room to Isenschmid.

Using H-Div and Y-Div Police reports I have constructed the following timeline of events leading up to Isenschmid been taken into custody.

Points to ponder are that Tyler seems to have visited Mrs Isenschmid (on 2nd Sept) before he has even met Jacob (on Sept 5th). This tied in with the fact that Tyler disappears once Isenchmid is taken into custody.
    Mary Isenschmid was certainly trying to get her husband taken back into care, and Tyler certainly helped that process along....

All very likely nothing of nothing but has anyone found any biographical info on the mysterious George Tyler?

Sun 2nd Sept 88 – Mary Ann Isenschmid leaves 97 Duncombe Rd to visit friends in the country

Sun 2nd Sept 88 – Isenschmid returns to 97 Duncombe Rd to collect his shirts and collars

Sun 2nd Sept 88 – George Tyler visits 97 Duncombe Rd and asks for Mary Ann Isenschmid to visit him at 60 Mitford Rd on her return from the country

Mon 3rd Sept 88 - Mary Ann Isenschmid returns from the country

Tues am 4th Sept 88 - Mary Ann Isenschmid calls on George Tyler at 60 Mitford Rd

23.00pm Wed 5th Sept 88 – George Tyler meets Jacob Isenschmid in Hornsey Rd who asks Tyler to accommodate him with lodgings. They both return to 60 Mitford Rd.

1.00am Thurs 6th Sept 88 – Isenschmid leaves 60 Mitford Rd

21.00pm Thurs 6th Sept 88 – Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd

1.00am Fri 7th Sept 88 - Isenschmid leaves 60 Mitford Rd

21.00pm Fri 7th Sept 88 - Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd

1.00am Sat 8th Sept 88 - Isenschmid leaves 60 Mitford Rd

21.00pm Sat 8th Sept 88 - Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd

6.00am Sun 9th Sept 88 - Isenschmid leaves 60 Mitford Rd

Sun 9th Sept 88 – Isenschmid visits 97 Duncombe Rd while his wife is away to collect some clothing.

18.00pm Sun 9th Sept 88 – Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd for 30 minutes

18.30pm Sun 9th Sept 88 – Isenschmid leaves for Tottenham

1.00am Mon 10th Sept 88 - Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd for an hour

2.00am Mon 10th Sept 88 - Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd

21.00pm Mon 10 Sept 88 - Isenschmid returns to 60 Mitford Rd

1.00am Tues 11th Sept 88 - Isenschmid leaves 60 Mitford Rd

22.00pm Tues 11th Sept 88 – Dr Cowan and Dr Crabb call at Holloway Police Station to report Isenschmid who was brought to their attention by George Tyler.

Evening Wed 12th Sept 88 – Isenschmid is taken into custody to Holloway Police Station by four policemen from 60 Mitford Rd.

Evening Wed 12th Sept 88 – Isenschmid is taken from Holloway Police station to Islington Workhouse and from there taken immediately to Grove Hall Asylum, Bow.

Sun 16th Sept 88 – Sgt Thick visits 60 Mitford Rd looking for George Tyler but is told by the only person in the house, a boy named Briggs, that Tyler had removed from his lodgings early that morning.

Hi Jon
    This rang a bell. At the time I typed up the asylum notes on Isenschmid I did a bit of work on the identity of Tyler. He is one of these interesting people about whom there seemed to be little or no information. Two others about whom I would like to know more are George Marsh, who has the agreement with Donston and also Jacob Cohen who was involved in the committal of Kosminski.
    I cannot guarantee that the man below IS the Tyler you are seeking but at the time he seemed the most interesting one that I found.

George Tyler
    Born about 1835

129 Maroon Street, Limehouse
    Boarder:
    George Tyler (Widower) aged 64 born Aldgate - Butcher

13 Hawkins Street, Mile End
    Head: George Tyler (Widower) aged 46 born London - Slaughterman

40 White Horse Street, Stepney
    Head: George Tyler aged 36 born Aldgate - Master butcher
    Wife: Elizabeth Tyler aged 37 born Aldgate
    Sister in Law: Amelia Jackson aged 40 born Tottenham
    Nephew: Charles Tyler aged 3 born Stepney

Death of Tyler's wife:
    Name: Elizabeth Tyler
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1879
    Age at Death: 45
    Registration district: Stepney
    Inferred County: London

Death of George Tyler:
    Name: George Tyler
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
    Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1904
    Age at Death: 68
    Registration district: Mile End Old Town
    Inferred County: London

Comment

Many thanks, Chris. The butcher bit as an occupation is interesting as that could be what initially connected him to Isenschmid, and he`s a widower by 1888, and missing from the 1891 Census when he could have been in north London- but it`s notable that his recorded whereabouts are in the East End, which is the one place we cannot tie Isenschmid to (apart from Grove Asylum in Bow)

Did you find any single, George Tyler`s in the Holloway / Islington area in 1891 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Simons View Post
        Many thanks, Chris. The butcher bit as an occupation is interesting as that could be what initially connected him to Isenschmid, and he`s a widower by 1888, and missing from the 1891 Census when he could have been in north London- but it`s notable that his recorded whereabouts are in the East End, which is the one place we cannot tie Isenschmid to.

Did you find any single, George Tyler`s in the Holloway / Islington area in 1891 ?
        Hi Jon
        The absence from 1891 may only be because I didnt at the time do a detailed search
        I will have a look and see if I can find him
        Chris

Comment

Nice one, Chris. I would be very interested to see if you can come up with an interesting George Tyler in 1891. I did have a search for him myself a few years back for my "Who`s Who" project but could not find anyone in 1891 worthy of a entry.

Comment

Chris
            He may be mis-transcribed in the Census as George Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Simons View Post
              Chris
              He may be mis-transcribed in the Census as George Taylor.
              That is always a problem - in one of the entries I found he was down as George TYLOR

Comment

Jon:

Fine work you've done...nice timeline !
                Chris...you too amigo.
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                  That is always a problem - in one of the entries I found he was down as George TYLOR
                  Indeed, I found Francis Tyler (who worked at 29 Hanbury St for Mrs Richardson) down as Francis Towler.

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                    Jon:

Fine work you've done...nice timeline !
                    Chris...you too amigo.
                    Many thanks, How!!

Notice, that Mrs Isenschmid visited friends on Sundays, which was the only opportunity for Jacob to sneak back and collect clothes while she was away.

Much has been made of these visits for clean clothing, claiming they immediately followed the murders of Nichols and Chapman, which is obviously not true in the case of Nichols.

Comment

James Tyler, carcass butcher, 52 Aldgate High Street (in the heart of Butcher's Row, Aldgate). Could they be related?

Comment

In the 1891 Census, Isenschmid is lodging with the family of 55 year old butcher, George Gayler in Camberwell.

George Tyler/ George Gayler ?

Comment

Working...
                        X