Your most likely suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christer Holmgren View Post
    Very true! Please observe how criminal anthropoloogy allowed for this thought of equality. But it was not "all humans are alike" but insted "All humans have the ability to rise to the same high standards - however, only very few have, whereas the rest lag behind".

Racism with a hopeful message? Sort of. Yuck!
    Fish,

But was this solely about race? Didn't class come in to it also?

Just as the Jews were mercilessly caricatured in the press, so were the Irish and the English 'lower classes' in general.

How did that impact on the behaviour of the average Bobby on the beat?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      Fish,

But was this solely about race? Didn't class come in to it also?

Just as the Jews were mercilessly caricatured in the press, so were the Irish and the English 'lower classes' in general.

How did that impact on the behaviour of the average Bobby on the beat?

Gary
      It´s interconnected, Gary - there was a belief that poor people were poor because they deserved it. To me, that translates to how the richer and "better" classes supposedly had earnt their privileges on accord of a moral superiority.
      It sounds bonkers, I know - but it WAS bonkers back then.

As you will appreciate, this all ends up in social politics sooner or later, and also in the strange fact that the badly payed working classes have always represented the more conservative parts of society. It opens up an extremely wide field of discussion, and I think we have better try to stay on focus, interesting though it would be to carry on along the sidestreams!

In the end, the question you pose is a very good one: how did the - scientifically sanctioned - prejudices affect the average bobby in the street?
      "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        People are, in the main, human, all too human.
        - Nietzsche!

- Bless you!
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

The most likely suspects are Joseph Barnett or George Hutchinson. No JTR Murders after Police question them.

Comment

To Andrew Komyati

According to a number of primary sources, albeit ones that disagree with each other, there were between two and four Jack murders after those men were questioned.

Rose Mylett, Alice McKenzie, the Pinchin Street Torso, and Frances Coles, the latter generally accpected at the time as the final victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Komyati View Post
              The most likely suspects are Joseph Barnett or George Hutchinson. No JTR Murders after Police question them.
              And if you take the view that Kelly was not a ripper victim but murdered by Barnett and/or Hutchinson and made to look like a ripper killing. There is the possibility that the ripper was out of the scene shortly after the double event, either dead or incarcerated. It would be an interesting exercise to study more closely any suspect who was dismissed due to his having an alibi for that particular murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Walton View Post
                And if you take the view that Kelly was not a ripper victim but murdered by Barnett and/or Hutchinson and made to look like a ripper killing. There is the possibility that the ripper was out of the scene shortly after the double event, either dead or incarcerated. It would be an interesting exercise to study more closely any suspect who was dismissed due to his having an alibi for that particular murder.
                If you take Mary Kelly away as Ripper victim that would mean that there was no more killings after Joseph Hyam Levy saw Jtr with Catharine Eddowes, quite interesting when you link his cousin as a viable suspect

Tracy
                If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Komyati View Post
                  On that basis, I'm voting for Mary Ann Cox
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                  (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I still think George Chapman / Severin Klosowski is one of the better suspects, but Tracy's excellent research has swayed me more towards Jacob Levy in recent times. IMO though it's unlikely that either Barnett or Hutchinson were responsible for Kelly's murder - it would be interesting to know more about Hutchinson, one of the more bizarre witnesses.

Cheers,
                    Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                      I still think George Chapman / Severin Klosowski is one of the better suspects, but Tracy's excellent research has swayed me more towards Jacob Levy in recent times. IMO though it's unlikely that either Barnett or Hutchinson were responsible for Kelly's murder - it would be interesting to know more about Hutchinson, one of the more bizarre witnesses.

Cheers,
                      Adam.
                      Thanks Adam!!! (Cheques in the post )

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
                        Thanks Adam!!! (Cheques in the post )
                        Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        On that basis, I'm voting for Mary Ann Cox
                        Na, I favour Jacob Levy 100% as Jack...so much adds up with him.

Comment

Hi Paul

Originally posted by Paul Sullivan View Post
                          Na, I favour Jacob Levy 100% as Jack...so much adds up with him.
                          I agree (obviously ) Can we say 100% certainty that he was Jtr, no, but I think he is stronger than most of the other suspects out there without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
                            Same here from me for William Hardiman-just my best of a bad lot. He drank poison in late 1905 (age 33) and the inquest ruled his death a suicide.
                            Is that because you had a dream that the Ripper was a teenage boy?

Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
                            Hello All. If forced at gun point to decide, I'd say Levy was the least bad of a colourless lot.

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Careful, Lynn. Next thing you know, you'll be believing in one killer.

Anyway, my top suspects would be:

1. 'Joe Bloggs'
                            2. William Bury
                            3. Jacob Levy

Comment

low order of probability

Hello Harry. Thanks.

"Careful, Lynn. Next thing you know, you'll be believing in one killer."

Um, no chance of that.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X