Thomas Fogarty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Yes, it is Debs, but the location varies in different reports. In one it's in Spitalfields Market, in another between Hanbury Street and Buck's Row, and in yet another in Buck's Row itself.

I thought I'd seen post '95 entries where he was recorded as single?

When did Poll first start using STGITE parish amenities (couldn't think of a better word)?

If her Foggy is who I think he is, then he was basically a STGITE man. I was wondering whether we might get a clue about when the two first hooked up from her movements.
    Yes, I knew about the location changes.

She was using the facilities right after the murder of Tabram, as listed on the very first post of the recent thread that I added the death I found to, and seemed to have upset someone for it.
    http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=23130

Then there's some previous to 88 on the other thread on PP that I started here that as an addition to those Whitechapel ones already known at the time:
    http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=17649

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      I thought it was a bit too similar!

It's probably my fault, It was me who first mentioned this story up on the other thread. As soon as you mentioned Fogerty was blind and living with a woman named Mary Ann Connolly possibly Pearly Poll, the incident sprung to mind as no one had ever found who the victim in that was, despite several researchers looking through the LH records.
      It's ingrained on my mind because Susan Ward was ruled out by me and I've always wanted to find who it was.

Anyway, the victim can't have been Pearly Poll if there was any link to Fogerty as she entered St George in the East Infirmary on Aug 27th 1888 and wasn't discharged until Oct 6 1888 as I posted on the old Pearly Poll thread.

Someone asked me this question very recently and I thought it worth asking here just to be certain: Once someone was admitted to an infirmary or workhouse , what were the chances they were able to come and go as they pleased during that timethe time of their recorded stay at that institution? I don't think someone under treatment in an infirmary would be allowed to leave the premises but does anyone know for certain or have a different opinion on this?
      I did initially wonder whether Poll was the victim, and then I checked your research and decided she couldn't be. I'm sure that if someone was considered unwell enough to be admitted to an infirmary, they probably wouldn't have been allowed to come and go as they pleased.

Comment

I did initially wonder whether Poll was the victim, and then I checked your research and decided she couldn't be. I'm sure that if someone was considered unwell enough to be admitted to an infirmary, they probably wouldn't have been allowed to come and go as they pleased.
        I think the same but there has been past discussion about whether or not people could leave the workhouse or infirmaries during the day when Mei Trow proposed Mann as a suspect and he was in the workhouse or infirmary, I forget which.
        It would seem silly and unecessary extra work to provide an admittance and discharge date in the registers if inmates or patients were free to come and go as they pleased within those dates? People were obviously allowed to discharge themselves when they wanted in the infirmary but it was always recorded as such I've found.

Comment

I think the same but there has been past discussion about whether or not people could leave the workhouse or infirmaries during the day when Mei Trow proposed Mann as a suspect and he was in the workhouse or infirmary, I forget which.
          It would seem silly and unecessary extra work to provide an admittance and discharge date in the registers if inmates or patients were free to come and go as they pleased within those dates? People were obviously allowed to discharge themselves when they wanted in the infirmary but it was always recorded as such I've found.
          I've just had a look at the links you provided below and I'm wondering whether your initial suggestion that Poll's address was 8, Cable Street when she was admitted to Whitechapel Infirmary in 1893 wasn't right. No. 8 would have been in Whitechapel, I think, a stone's throw from Wellclose Sq., whereas 208 would have been much further east, almost in Shadwell.

Comment

I've just had a look at the links you provided below and I'm wondering whether your initial suggestion that Poll's address was 8, Cable Street when she was admitted to Whitechapel Infirmary in 1893 wasn't right. No. 8 would have been in Whitechapel, I think, a stone's throw from Wellclose Sq., whereas 208 would have been much further east, almost in Shadwell.
            Yes, looking again I can see why I said No 8 but I wonder if there was something else that made me change my mind to 208. I can't remember now.

208.JPG

Comment

Foggy Dew

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Not a political message, just achingly beautiful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yaS3vaNUYgs

Comment

Yes, looking again I can see why I said No 8 but I wonder if there was something else that made me change my mind to 208. I can't remember now.

[ATTACH]17353[/ATTACH]
                I can't remember seeing no. in those records before. Or perhaps I have and just haven't remembered.

Funnily enough, that 'Whitechapel' address is closer to Foggy's manor than 208 which would have been very near to STGITE church.

Comment

I've been searching high and low for my copy of Tom's TBHM, but can't seem to find it.

I need a refresher course on the dodginess of Poll's Tabram performance. While I could never see her as an agent in some grand conspiracy, I can well imagine her being coerced into giving false evidence to divert suspicion from a violent partner.

Looking at the man she married gives you some idea of Poll's qualities, I'd say.

Comment

[ATTACH]17353[/ATTACH]
                    BTW, the infamous JTR museum is at No. 12. I bet the ghost of PP, hands on hips, paces up and down outside that establishment.

Comment

How very convenient that PP was in the SGITE infirmary 20 days after her friend Martha was murdered, until discharge 6 October, 1888. Maybe she avoided extra questioning that way. I was wondering today how she avoided being one of Jack's victims...
                      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

-Gary Barnett-

Got that beat, G-Man, with some mountain music....Foggy Mountain, that is.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Y3mnj-8lA
                        To Join JTR Forums :
                        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post

-Gary Barnett-

Got that beat, G-Man, with some mountain music....Foggy Mountain, that is.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Y3mnj-8lA
                          Love it! My kinda music.

Comment

So, the vicious blind beggar married his Poll at the Church of the English Martyrs in Prescot Street. But there wasn't much of a happy ever after. Poll died a couple of years later and Foggy seems to have spent most of the next decade bouncing between the streets and the workhouse/infirmary.

image.jpeg

Comment

So, the vicious blind beggar married his Poll at the Church of the English Martyrs in Prescot Street. But there wasn't much of a happy ever after. Poll died a couple of years later and Foggy seems to have spent most of the next decade bouncing between the streets and the workhouse/infirmary.

[ATTACH]17358[/ATTACH]
                              But not Berner or Princelet Street

Comment

But not Berner or Princelet Street
                                Not Berner or 9, NEP (the labourer) but Princelet Street's OK.

image.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                                X