Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboy Charley Of Mexican Joe's Co. ( R. J. Palmer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A description provided by a man who went on an adventure with yet another Colorado Charley and some others in the 1860's. Its not Utter or Lacey.

Lima News
    Lima, Ohio
    June 3, 1895
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I always thought Tumblety styled himself as an East Indian doctor or an herb doctor with exotic East Indian knowledge? Did he mean North American Indian? I got the idea in something I read, maybe one of Tumblety's own ads. Maybe I got it wrong. Or maybe he was both kinds of Indian at different times?
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I always thought Tumblety styled himself as an East Indian doctor or an herb doctor with exotic East Indian knowledge? Did he mean North American Indian?
        -Anna Morris-

No, Anna...North American Indian, not the ones from India or points east....
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

April 13, 2018

https://www.annmarieackermann.com/bl...ipper-suspect/

More about Mexican Joe
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Dere?

Hey guys!

I was reading a book called Black Elk: The Life Of An American Visionary by Joe Jackson and came across the name Richard Chester Dere in the list of Mexican Joe's wild west show performers.

Given the propensity for alternate spellings in 19th century journalism, could this be the cowboy 'Dare' mentioned as being one of the three the police questioned in 1888?

Comment

Welcome Ed and many thanks for providing this information....I'm sure Roger will re-appear on the thread soon.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Ed. Brilliant observation; I own a copy of Black Elk Speaks, but haven't read it in years, and never made the connection, but you're undoubtedly correct. Dare/Dere was in London in August 1888.

Check out the following from Lloyd's Weekly News (London) for 5 August 1888.

It shows that Richard Chester Dare/Dere was arrested in London's West End on Friday, August 3rd, on an assault charge. Depending on whether he made bail, he may have been on remand on the night of Martha Tabram's murder. (I take it that John Dunn was another member of the troupe).

It looks like he enjoyed hanging out in the saloons with the ladies. What cowboys doesn't?

After 130 years, have we identified a couple of the cowboys questioned by the Metropolitan Police?

Thanks for you post, and I will keep looking into it. RP
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the follow up to Ed's info, R.J. !
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Here's another account, this time from the London Evening Standard, Oct. 4th.

According to this one, Dare stabbed the man with a knife, which could explain why the men were later questioned in connection with the East End murders.

The Black Elk biography mentioned by Ed identifies John Dunn as one of Dare/Dere's mates, along with "Bronco Charlie Miller" and "Pedro Esquival."
                    Attached Files

Comment

A reference to the Buffalo Bill 'pseudo cowboys'.....I'll bet the Brooklynite would think twice about wranglin' with any of the cowpokes in the troupe.

Brooklyn Citizen
                      October 2, 1888

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                      X