Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Smith's Man From Rupert Street.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Smith's Man From Rupert Street.......

Has anyone ever tried to locate this fellow ?
    The man in Rupert Street....

There was a Rupert Street right behind Leman Street in 1888...and yes, I know Smith says Rupert Street, Haymarket.
    Just wondering.....

East London Advertiser
    October 15, 1910

To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com

Here's proof of a Rupert Street being in close proximity to Leman Street....no surprise, it references a murder.

East London Advertiser
    March 27, 1909

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Another article

East London Advertiser

April 10, 1909

Maybe its just me....but the distance between Rupert Street, Haymarket and Leman Street, Whitechapel militates against the man Smith refers to in the original article.....4 miles.

Rupert Street, behind Leman, is spitting distance from the murders.

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
        Here's proof of a Rupert Street being in close proximity to Leman Street...
        Indeed, the description "Rupert Street, Leman Street" suggests that Rupert St was an offshoot of Leman St.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Even if we look at the distance from Old Jewry ( in the City of London) to Rupert Street, Haymarket...its still 2 1/2 miles away.

There are at least two Berner Streets in London and I'm sure several other similarly named roads in London.
          Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Gareth:

Just wondering out loud....but could Smith or the person writing the piece for the paper confused the two ?

To me, it just seems a stretch that Smith really meant Rupert Street, Haymarket.

Like many here, I have a contemporary map of the area and Rupert Street was between Leman ( on the west) and Lambeth Street ( to the east)....all north-south streets running into Little Alie Street, which lay at the north running east to west......
            Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Having read his memoirs, my money's on Smith being confused.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Gareth:

If that's the case, then I wonder if there's anyone from Rupert Street, Leman Street worth tracking down.
                Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Gareth:

If that's the case, then I wonder if there's anyone from Rupert Street, Leman Street worth tracking down.
                  Howard,

Patrick Mulshaw, night watchman for the Board of Works on the night of the Nichols murder, was living on Rupert Street in 1888. He also previously lived on Goulston Street (1871) and Thrawl Street (1861).

Comment

Also, Henry Orford, a medical student was living on Rupert Street. Seems to be the West End one, though??

See Complete History by Sugden #20 and #21 on this page.

https://books.google.com/books?id=vN...201888&f=false

Comment

Jerry:

Thanks amigo....that was awful quick.

What do you think about this Rupert Street idea I mentioned ?
                      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Jerry:

Thanks amigo....that was awful quick.

What do you think about this Rupert Street idea I mentioned ?
                        Not sure what to make of it, Howard. The one near Backchurch Lane makes more sense, but then again he is specific to the Rupert Street at Haymarket.

A couple of things about the Haymarket reference. Richard Patterson claims the Poet Francis Thompson was living at some point in a street (Panton) which is a block away from Rupert, Haymarket . He was a former medical student. Richard makes the claim Henry Smith may have been talking about Francis Thompson?

Also, the Haymarket area was home or former home to Jack Saul and Charles Hammond. Both lived on Oxenden Street in 1879. By the time Hammond absconded to Seattle in 1889, he opened a saloon. The name was the Haymarket Saloon. Saul was a regular in that area (Leicester Square/Compton Street) during the Cleveland Street scandal. Although neither were medical students, Hammond had all kinds of aristocrats at his house on Cleveland Street. It was this neighborhood that Jack Saul allegedly picked up Lord Euston.

And last, Claude Mellor, the journalist that found the thigh of Elizabeth Jackson at the Shelley House, had either an office or home at 8, Lyric Chambers, Haymarket. This address was basically at the corner of Coventry Street and Rupert Street on Whitcomb.

Sorry if I side-tracked a little. Never know if any of these guys may have had connections to the murderer, themselves?

Comment

Thanks for all this excellent info, JD.

You aren't sidetracking by any means...it shows you know your business, buddy.

Much appreciated.
                          Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I didn't see this thread when it first appeared.

A City of London Police report identifies the Rupert Street suspect as Oswald Puckridge (a possibility Philip Sugden had looked into). Smith was correct that it was the West End Rupert Street:
                            https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...407#post235407

Comment

Working...
                            X