Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What of James CARNAC?

Greetings, All!
    I was once very active in Ripperology over a decade ago, and am just getting back to it after a career change and the birth of a son. Hope you all will be patient with me as I ‘catch up’.
    By chance I saw Carnac’s autobiography, and just finished it.
    I noticed that the copyright is several years old, and wonder if any more investigation or results have been yielded about Carnac since. I noted dozens of leads that could/should have been looked into in the text (“Mrs. Gummidge” utterance; locations described/ census records; doctors registered in the area; murder/suicide of his parents - newspaper accounts? Police reports? Inquest records? And so on...)
    I know many of you might be tired of ‘new’ suspects, but I rather enjoy them - even if their likelihood seems dubious- so long as they are at least plausible.
    Anyway - is there any more to the story now?
    Thank you.

Originally posted by Patrick Kelley View Post
    Greetings, All!
    I was once very active in Ripperology over a decade ago, and am just getting back to it after a career change and the birth of a son. Hope you all will be patient with me as I ‘catch up’.
    By chance I saw Carnac’s autobiography, and just finished it.
    I noticed that the copyright is several years old, and wonder if any more investigation or results have been yielded about Carnac since. I noted dozens of leads that could/should have been looked into in the text (“Mrs. Gummidge” utterance; locations described/ census records; doctors registered in the area; murder/suicide of his parents - newspaper accounts? Police reports? Inquest records? And so on...)
    I know many of you might be tired of ‘new’ suspects, but I rather enjoy them - even if their likelihood seems dubious- so long as they are at least plausible.
    Anyway - is there any more to the story now?
    Thank you.
    Hi Patrick
    I regard this as a work of fiction c. 1930. Did some basic checks a few years ago and found nothing to challenge that conclusion. There was a discussion on the casebook forums around the time of publication and others may have looked in greater detail.

Comment

Paul -

Thank you for your kind response.
      I put little stock in it, too, but it was a good read, and interesting from a historical standpoint.

Comment

Ripperologist issue #124 in Feb 2012 had an article on James Carnac. John Bennett wrote it. I might as well dig it up and read it again tonight.

Comment

The cover of the Italian edition says "The memoirs of the most famous killer ever". To me it's very misleading, it makes it looks like the editor is selling it as genuine.

I haven't read it yet, though.
          Jack lo Squartatore 1888 - http://jacklosquartatore1888.blogspot.it/

Comment

Working...
          X