Mr. Larkins & The Lusitanians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Larkins & The Lusitanians

Lusitanian is another name for Portuguese....the original name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusitanians

A poster on Casebook mentioned Customs House employee E. K. Larkins' reason for proposing Portuguese cattle boat men was that they were 'there' at the time of the crimes and that their profession had nothing to do with his ( Larkins ) elaborate theory. I'd like to add on to that.

Actually, if you read between the lines, Larkins was one of those people that believed an ethnic group other than the native born were responsible for the murders. This is natural, for many people, in a city or neighborhood where the ethnic composition is in flux.

With that in mind, his choice of the Portuguese fellows had more to do with his view of them as an ethnicity where violence was concerned.

In the Larkins theory, he brings up the Peninsular War ( 1812 ) and how Portuguese peasants took the knife to French troops unfortunate enough to not make it to safety. In his view, the WM were the sort of murder that wouldn't trouble people of Portuguese lineage.

Larkins' proposal of persons of the Portuguese persuasion was based on his ethnocentrism first and foremost..with the cattle boat men-as-culprits secondary or at best on equal footing with the ethnic make up of the boat men.

Since men from the four corners of the globe were docked in London and Liverpool...Greeks, Germans, Malays, Africans, every food group under the sun....all peoples who are familiar with a knife and how to use it.... it makes you wonder whether it was something personal in why he chose the Portuguese and so vigorously pursued it.

I'd wager that it was possible he was aware of the ferocious defense of lands ( by women and men ) controlled by Lusitanians but soon to be incorporated into greater Rome 22 centuries ago......
    Or maybe some Portuguese chick turned him down for a date.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

There's an 1882 newspaper item in which his right to vote is being disputed. Larkins comes across as rather bad-tempered ("I will make you pay for it, if I can.")

Comment

Nice find, Bob.
      May I ask, where did you locate that ?
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

From FMP

Woolwich Gazette 14 Oct 1882
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Bob.....
          To Join JTR Forums :