Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
    Gary
    You have to remember that David Orsam only got (re-)involved in Ripperology due to his intense interest in the Lechmere case. Bearing that in mind he would have a great interest in a suspect's 'real' name.

P.S. I'm still waiting for his reply to my friendly and longish (but not long-winded) message to him of some years ago about Tumblety. He apparently responds at length to other people.
    His Lordship has already addressed this:

I need to correct some shockingly false statements made about me by Edward Stow.

Apparently it’s your memory that is at fault.

Comment

I know he takes an interest in things Lechmerian.

Having found the press report of a Pickfords cart driver named Charles Cross running over and killing a child in Islington (close to John Harrison’s knacker’s yard and the Regent’s Canal) I posted a comment about his address not being revealed at the inquest. I pointed out that addresses were given for all the other witnesses and wondered whether Cross’s address was deliberately withheld because he might have been held responsible for the death by the child’s parents.

His Lordship tore my musings to shreds, pointing out that one of the addresses was actually that of the witness’s brother and not that of the witness himself. (This witness was described as a ‘traveller’ and may well have stayed with his brother when in town, and in any case, printing the address of someone’s close family might enable you to track him down.)

It was a pathetic attempt on his Lordship’s part to discredit my suggestion. And why did he bother? Because the suggestion was so absurd that it couldn’t go unchallenged? Or because anyone who fails to tug the forelock before his Orsamness must be put in their place?

Read his blog, with sections headed ‘Brown’, ‘Barnett’, ‘Menges’, ‘Stow’, ‘Poster’ etc. That’ll give you the measure of the man.

He may be one of us (you) soon. What a frabjous day that will be for Ripperology.

Comment

I like his Spandau Ballet stuff.

Its probably more important than climate change.

P

Comment

Lord Orsams blog is must read. His research and analysis are excellent and I particularily like how he debunks a lot of the nonsense stuff..cough diary cough. : )
          and ive noticed if people are civil and honest with him he returns the favor. I don't always agree with him and had a little back and forth with him on the other forum about the validity of Maxwell as a witness. It didn't get nasty although we totally disagreed.

he certainly gives as good as he gets and no one is above (or below) his critiques. Hes also the first one to admit his mistakes-and moves on.

IMHO I cant help to notice that a lot of it might have to do with him being an "outsider" and not part of any clique. hes also persistant as hell and I think that rubs people the wrong way.

to me first and foremost hes passionate about the truth and honesty and if treated with respect he does the same. And I know this might sound crazy but hes actually quite humble once you get to know him. I once suggested he should write a book on the torsos and his response-I know nothing about the torsos-"it would be the worst book on torsos in the history of torso books". HAHAHA!

hes also friggen hilarious. Lord Orsam-I mean cmon that's just funny.

and yes his book on Spandeau Ballet was excellent and very interesting.

Comment

Yes Gary I noticed his allegation about shockingly false statements but I am afraid he doth protest too much.

It was my long (not over long and long-winded I hasten to add) message to him about Tumblety that he refused to respond to - I notice he glossed over that bit. I had forgotten that I had messaged him on Facebook prior to that - but he seems to have logged it all away somewhere.
            He has a habit of seizing on a loose word here or there to prove a point - as with those witnesses who testified under alternative names - or indeed a slight over-generalisation by Christer over the number of records where Lechmere called himself Lechmere and not Cross.

But I have always been quite 'generous' with respect to Orsam and think he is a valuable contributor to this field and find his attacks quite amusing and sardonic. For example his quotations always snip off the bits where I say something positive about him!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              I once suggested he should write a book on the torsos and his response-I know nothing about the torsos-"it would be the worst book on torsos in the history of torso books". HAHAHA!
              Is there anyone you haven't asked to write that book Abby?!

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                Is there anyone you haven't asked to write that book Abby?!
                hi debs!

only you, Lord Orsam, fish/ ed and i think jerry dunlop.
                youre my first choice though!!

ed
                you and or fisherman are writing a book on the torso/ripper/ lechmere correct?

Comment

Yes Mr Normal, I am.
                  I'm solving every unsolved murder in Victorian London.

Comment

his book on Spandeau Ballet was excellent and very interesting.
                    Indeed it was and it says a lot about the man that he was willing to selflessly devote time, energy and a lot of text to what has been an intractable problem that was of not inconsiderable concern to many.

For that alone he should be praised.

P

Comment

Yes unlike 'Ripperology'.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                        Yes Mr Normal, I am.
                        I'm solving every unsolved murder in Victorian London.
                        awesome-looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
                          Indeed it was and it says a lot about the man that he was willing to selflessly devote time, energy and a lot of text to what has been an intractable problem that was of not inconsiderable concern to many.

For that alone he should be praised.

P
                          lol.I sense a bit of sarcasm

Comment

Gary
                            You may be pleased to note that he 'performed' some sort of self-regarding song about his research that he uploaded via his blog - it sounds less like Spandau Ballet but more like a sub standard version of Soft Cell or the Pet Shop Boys.

Comment

Working...
                            X