Arrested in connection-Henry Shaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrested in connection-Henry Shaw?

Has anyone come across a man named Henry Shaw or seen anything posted before and can point me in the right direction?
    He was supposedly arrested on 'suspicion of being implicated in the Jack the Ripper crimes in the Whitechapel district', but said he was cleared of the charge. He apparently left for Australia soon afterwards and it seems ended up in the US.
    Thanks for any help.

Debs:

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....shaw#post93773

That link is in regard to the Pennock murder and a James Shaw. Its not Henry Shaw, but I figured you might want to see it anyway.

I'll look into it right now for you on my end.

Happy Valentine's Day
    XO

How
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Debs:

Here's something from the immediate area. You may have already seen this:
      http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.jacobs/1813/mb.ashx
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Debs:

Comin' up empty dear. I'm sorry. I can try tomorrow.

I tried the Yank papers to no avail. If we had an age and he came here as you stated, then maybe Nina can help you out with this.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks for that How, the Ancestry message was interesting, I hadn't imagined a possible Jewish connection to a name like Henry Shaw. There is no age or other details given unfortunately.

The reason I was asking about him is because of this 1910 US press article and I was just wondering if there was something out there on him already (google isn't what it used to be, so very hard to check!)

Something Rob House mentioned on the Dr. Halpen thread prompted me to look at suspects that may have been mentioned in the years 1900 to 1910, in the papers. There are a couple but Henry is the first I posted about. I just wondered if there was any truth in the story of Henry being suspected, particularly as checking the Whitechapel Infirmary records on XL, kindly provided by Chris Scott on casebook, I found that there was a Henry Shaw living at the Victoria Home, 41 Commercial Street, in 1889.

Here's one of the articles from Los Angeles Herald 13 Dec 1910, another article is shorter but says Shaw first went to Australia :

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 33, Number 73, 13 December 1910.gif

Comment

Debs, I'm probably howling at the wrong moon, but wasn't it Shaw who wrote to the Treasury complaining of his arrest as the Whitechapel Murderer and demanding compensation?

Comment

I don't know AP, I've never come across Shaw before, but others may have. Can you remember any more of the details? Thanks

Comment

Many thanks to Debra for bringing Shaw's name up in the first place.

Shaw was known as John and Henry as you will see in the three articles from the Los Angeles Herald.

L.A.Herald
                Dec. 3,1910

L.A.Herald
                Dec. 6, 1910

L.A.Herald
                Dec.13,1910

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Nina Brown located this article from
                  the Los Angeles Herald on December 7th,1910.

The very next day ( December 6th ) after his December 5th lunacy hearing ( which is mentioned in the December 6th,1910 L.A. Herald article), Shaw deemed competent is arrested by the police in regard to the following matter for a prior warrant.

I just noticed that the girl mentioned was a minor, yet it gave her name, which is not your usual standard operating procedure. I suppose that some states had or have different statutes about that.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

If Shaw's "ballpark figure" age of 45-50 as mentioned is close to his true age in 1910, he'd have been born somewhere between 1860 and 1865.

Shaw may have been between 23 to 28 years old at the time of the WM.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

He also used the alias Monohan.

Comment

Dear Debs:

Thanks for that.
                        Nina was trying to find out what happened after he was arrested by L.A. police, but its been a stone wall so far.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

See Yahoo Answers: Is Shaw a Jewish last name?.

"Shaw" is a Scottish, Irish, or English name. But Jews can adopt such names.

As stated on the above cited site, "Any name can be Jewish. Jews do not agree on the definition of a Jew."

Chris
                          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                            Dear Debs:

Thanks for that.
                            Nina was trying to find out what happened after he was arrested by L.A. police, but its been a stone wall so far.
                            How, Nina,
                            It seems he was in trouble in 1911 as well. There are a fair few pay per view articles from the LA Times, available through Proquest but they don't accept my card unfortunately!
                            Here is a sample of some of the headlines with dates and snippets, it looks like he got a suspended sentence:

DID MAN IN AN ELEVATOR MURDER HIS HALF-BROTHER?
                            Pitiful Girl in Institution Sobs Out Confession That Her Brother, Who Was Killed, Was Slain After a Quarrel--Henry Shaw, the Man Accused, Is Taken Into Custody as He Is Preparing to Make a Hasty Flight.

Los Angeles Times (1886-1922) - Los Angeles, Calif.
                            Date: Oct 30, 1910
                            Start Page: I9
                            Pages: 1
                            Text Word Count: 1450
                            Abstract (Document Summary)
                            BENDING forward in her chair as though to hide at least a portion

of the heart-sick agony that the words cost her, Edith Tyson, once a pretty and ambitious English girls, now a betrayed and destitute inmate of the...

SHAW IN TOILS AGAIN.
                            Man Who Proclaimed Himself "Jack the Ripper" of London is Gathered in by the Police.
                            Date: Jul 8, 1911
                            Start Page: II7
                            Section: Editorial
                            Text Word Count: 284
                            For the third time within a year, Henry Shaw, alias Monahan, who, on several occasions has proclaimed himself the notorious "Jack the Ripper" of London, fell into the toils of the police last night and was locked up on a charge of suspicion.

THIS PRISONER LONDON FIEND?
                            Mental and Criminal Traits Lead to Surmise; Henry Shaw Presents Study to Police Officials; Chain Forging May Convict Him of Fratricide.
                            Date: Mar 9, 1911
                            Start Page: I12
                            Section: Classified Advertisement
                            Text Word Count: 649
                            That Henry Shaw, thought by the police to be the notorious "Jack the Ripper" who terrorized Whitechepel, London, in the early 80's, will never be made to suffer punishment for his crimes, was the declaration of Petrolmen Sweeny and McAuliffe yesterday...

IS MUCH-ARRESTED MAN.
                            Held by Police on Serious Charge and May Be Made to Serve Suspended Sentence.
                            Date: Jul 9, 1911
                            Start Page: V20
                            Section: Real Estate and Development Section
                            Text Word Count: 533

FEEBLE MINDED, THINK THE JURY
                            ALLEGED "JACK THE RIPPER" LET OFF EASY; Man of Strange Habits, Suspected of Having Been Terror of London Long Ago, Gets Suspended Sentence on Charge of Battery--Sister Testifies to Character.

Date: Mar 18, 1911
                            Start Page: II2
                            Section: Editorial
                            Text Word Count: 601

Henry Shaw, suspected of being "Jack, the Ripper," who terrorized London years ago, and who slept with an ax by his bed and a rifle within reach, prior to his brother's death last September, was found guilty in...

Comment

Dear Debs:

I will let Nina know of what you've provided. I'll give it a shot with my card...and as soon as I am able will put those articles on the thread.

Thanks for this Debs because we both didn't think of pay per view articles.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X