Arrested in connection-Henry Shaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debs:

One solution to the problem Nina is having accessing ProQuest is that she and I will probably have to go to the library to get access to the articles. She's still trying to figure out how to circumlocute the problem.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
      Dear Debs:

I will let Nina know of what you've provided. I'll give it a shot with my card...and as soon as I am able will put those articles on the thread.

Thanks for this Debs because we both didn't think of pay per view articles.
      How, pay per view is always my last resort being a Yorkshire woman

Comment

One bright spot which we can count on each month is the digitization of articles.

While this doesn't improve or upgrade our knowledge of Shaw, the Cleveland Plain Dealer mentions him in late 1910. It didn't last month.

Debra and I ran into a stone wall, but hopefully more will appear on this interesting individual.

Cleveland Plain Dealer
        December 4,1910

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Great stuff, How! Hopefully more will come online eventually like you say.
          Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Debs:

Taking a look into the subsequent year 1911 produced nothing on Shaw.
            I'll be keeping an eye out for him in the GenBank search site...and elsewhere.
            Its irritating that the Los Angeles paper which most of the material on him came from ceased operation right when the gettin' was good.

But,we'll keep at it.

XX
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Debs:
              Now he's "Jack" Shaw...

Sheboygan(Wis) Daily Press
              December 5, 1910
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks, How XX

I would be great to see those 1911 Los Angeles Times articles I mentioned in those abstracts wouldn't it? They seem to have covered the story in a lot more depth than any of the other US papers.

Comment

It sure would Debs.
                  What I'd like to know is the name of the facility he was sent to.
                  If we could get that, my brother lives in Los Angeles...and I could ask him to help out.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How, Debs,

Is this the same feller?

Dave
                    "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Hi Dave,
                      Good question, and thanks for posting this.

I have seen a similar report before but never really paid much attention to it.

I suppose it's possible there might be a link, he seems to have had a few name changes. He also used the surname Monahan in case you come across anything else.

Edit: I see How linked to some earlier discussion of this case. I'll have a good read of it again.
                      Thanks, How.

Comment

Debs, Dave...

Two things militate against the Shaw/Pennock who is featured in Dave's article as being the one we're looking for...the L.A. character.

One,being his age. The article Dave placed just today mentions him being 47.
                        The Shaw Debs,Nina and I have been looking for was that age in 1910.

Two, if the Shaw/Pennock ( I believe his true name was Pennock ) was charged and convicted of uxoricide, then I doubt he made it to the USA.
                        You never know....but I feel these are two different people altogether.

It might be worthwhile to check the records in the U.K. to see if Pennock was executed or not....as I do not know.

Thanks for your help, DJ.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How, Debs,

Pennock committed suicide. Which begs the question where did the Shaw name come from? He was supposed to have given the police a reason for using a false name, is there anything in US papers as to what that reaso was?

Dave
                          "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

I'm confused here, Dave & Debs...
                            If Pennock was using the name Shaw at the time of his December 1888 capture...how is it that Dave's latest post & article from April 1889 mentions the body was in the water since November 1888 ?

Furthermore...why would a man, who originally used the name Shaw, upon being arrested in New York in December...admit to being the man, (according once more to Dave's latest article from 1889), who had been dead a month prior to this arrest in New York ?
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, Dave, the story does seem all to cock and confusing.
                              I agree it doesn't seem to be related to Harry Shaw, How.
                              An interestingly odd story though!

Comment

Working...
                              X