X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes please Howard

Here 'tis Nemo :

Comment

The article's content first appeared in the Sunday Times on December 30th.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

That's the one Howard, many thanks

Comment

After a further look, doesn't the article seem to suggest more than one person here ?

If so, I apologize for misdirecting Chris's thread & fine find.

Man One :

Man Two :

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
            This article names Farquharson as the source of the suicide theory but dismissed that in favour of another suspect allegedly still alive and known to the police.
            This suspect had been known to the police for two years, was known as a begging letter writer and had been watched day and night, knew his address and acquaintances.
            Any thoughts?

Gloucester Citizen
            26 Feb 1892
            Hi Chris and Howard

Chris, I believe you are misreading the article, as Howard says. The article starts by talking about a suspect whom the police believed was the Ripper and that he watched constantly, explaining the lack of additional murders, and then makes a comparison with a second man who had sent a begging letter and who was also being watched.

Best regards

Chris
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

No, CG....I wasn't claiming Chris misread it...I was stating that I misread it into being about one man alone.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                No, CG....I wasn't claiming Chris misread it...I was stating that I misread it into being about one man alone.
                You both misread it then. Chris wrote, "This [Ripper] suspect had been known to the police for two years, was known as a begging letter writer and had been watched day and night, knew his address and acquaintances." That is not correct.

Cheers

Chris
                Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Careful re-reading proves you are right gents:-)
                  I put my misreading down to old age!
                  Apologies - no intention to mislead was meant
                  Chris S

Comment

Everyone wants to claim this story as referring to their suspect.
                    The timing certainly coincides with the one known to be about Le Grand (Ripper serving 20 years in Portland Prison for blackmailing elderly ladies) and in that case the detective would be Sgt James who I discovered was the ex detective convict who pointed out Le Grand as being the Ripper to Jabez Balfour while all 3 were at Parkhurst Prison.

Comment

Debs:

Foul, foul !
                      Dear woman, I have no suspect !
                      XXXXX
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                        Debs:

Foul, foul !
                        Dear woman, I have no suspect !
                        XXXXX
                        I meant past discussion on CB, How.
                        Simon once dated it to 1891 by mistake and so it was for a brief moment about Kosminski, followed by Deeming, nudged gently into Le Grand's direction by me.
                        Later on I did come to doubt it referred to the same suspect as the other Feb 1892 reports about the Portland Prison suspect (which we know was definitely Le Grand) as he was most definitely not watched night and day up until a month before that newspaper report...he was sent down in November 1891.
                        But it could be a very garbled version of one or more stories I suppose.

Comment

Ah, Jack the Begging Letter Writer
                          Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

The Scotland Yard detective was probably Metropl. Superintendent James Butcher. The suspect was the insane barrister, Newland Smith.

Comment

That's your answer to everything, Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                                The Scotland Yard detective was probably Metropl. Superintendent James Butcher. The suspect was the insane barrister, Newland Smith.
                                Scott, I've seen you post in the past that you thought Farquharson was referring to Newland Smith and not Druitt, yes? So, you are saying the suspect watched day and night by Scotland yard detectives was also Smith?
                                I read this article as though Farquaharson's suspect and the suspect watched day and night by Scotland Yard are being discussed as two different individuals. Does anyone else?
                                Smith does seem to fit with the man mentioned as being watched by detectives.

Comment

Working...
                                X