Farquharson named and another suspect detailed - Feb 1892

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farquharson named and another suspect detailed - Feb 1892

This article names Farquharson as the source of the suicide theory but dismissed that in favour of another suspect allegedly still alive and known to the police.
    This suspect had been known to the police for two years, was known as a begging letter writer and had been watched day and night, knew his address and acquaintances.
    Any thoughts?

Gloucester Citizen
    26 Feb 1892
    Attached Files

This is a terrific find, Chris.
    Further proof that more Case related information is still being revealed.

IMHO, the following excerpt sounds as if Charles LeGrand or someone like him, is being referenced.

The reason being, is that Le Grand immediately comes to mind, as letter writing and the inference to blackmail are made here.

Great eye and again. a great find old pal.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

On the other hand, LeGrand didn't simply "left London because his business was much too hampered by police" in the fashion the article maintains. He was incarcerated for two years in 1889....link below for those unaware of Le Grand's court trial in 1889 :

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-563#highlight

Damn...this might mean you've uncovered a totally new fellow who we need to put a name to, Chris.

Is this the first article which actually names Farquharson by name as the author of the drowned suspect ?
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks How
        yes LG would certainly come to mind - I also wonder who the "London detective" was who was the alleged source of this info
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
          On the other hand, LeGrand didn't simply leave London in the fashion the article maintains. He was incarcerated for two years in 1889....link below for those unaware of Le Grand's court trial in 1889 :

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-563#highlight

Damn...this might mean you've uncovered a totally new fellow who we need to put a name to, Chris.
          Hmmmm - sorry bout that :-)
          The phrase "The suspected criminal, till within a month, at any rate, has been watched and shadowed night and day, awake and asleep, by Scotland Yard detectives" would suggest that the man was still in London until very shortly before the article was written. The question, of course, is how long a time was there between the article being written and published?

Comment

Chris:

There is mention of the man/suspect "never being nailed"...and of course, Le Grand was "nailed" for crimes perpetrated in early 1889.

Sgt. William James ( D division) appeared at the June 1889 trial. Whether or not the Gloucester newspaper report refers to him is hard to tell.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Le Grand does come to mind due to previous posts about a similar article - was it when he was described as the "veritable Ripper"?

The second part about the man writing the begging letters reminds me of a previous article in which the suspect was described (IIRC) as a philanthropist writing from the London Hospital

Comment

Neems:

On both, the claim of "veritable Ripper" and the December 31st article featuring the philanthropist ( Pall Mall Gazette, Dec. 31st, 1888 )...could be applied to Roslyn D'Onston.

Stead claimed in 1896 to have believed RDS as being the "veritable Ripper" in an issue of Borderland.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

It also brings to mind one fellow who "left London" and if you could call them friends...the 4 men mentioned in his late 1888 charge...we might put Tumblety in the frame for this article.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Howard

I am thinking of the article where it was said the veritable Ripper had been locked up for 20 years and this was identified as Le Grand

I have an inkling the story about one more link in the chain being required cropping up at that time IIRC

I'm probably mistaken - I'll have a look

Comment

Neems:

Mike or Debs located that article...I dismember it now.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The article was discussed in this thread from 1212 onwards

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=181&page=122

I'll have a look for the London Hospital guy who I think we speculated might have been Robert Donston Stephenson

Comment

Yourself and Mike discussed the December 31st 1888 PMG article here Howard but you didn't post the article there...

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....philanthropist

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember that....that was from my "Hardass" period. I'm a lot less antagonistic to pro-D'Onston claptrap nowadays...no need to be a hardass anymore.
                            The article probably refers to Stephenson, Nemo....as in he was the fellow under suspicion. The Hospital knew full well he signed himself out ( Dr. Sutton, the one and only, himself doing the honors ). I think the police might have suspected RDS for writing Ripper letters at most.
                            The philanthropist cannot be Stephenson. He was always the recipient of philanthropy, not the other way around.

Want me to post it here ?
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The begging letter writer is a separate criminal who left London, not the Ripper suspect

Comment

Working...
                              X