Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. J. Palmer
    replied
    I have a copy from a London source. Maybe I'll transcribe it someday when I get the time.

This 'weak-brained zealot of the purity class' is back in the news just now: the murderer of Asian massage parlor employees in Atlanta, who was the son of an evangelical pastor, claimed he was murdering those who had led him astray. He was headed to Florida , allegedly to shoot more women, when arrested. Asian massage parlors in Florida had been in the news in recent years, due to wide publicity after the owner of the New England Patriots was arrested for a sexual transaction in one of these parlors. I don't think the connection is accidental.

Many contemporaries theorized that the 'Ripper' was also a religious fanatic, and AP Wolf explored this possibility in his book.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Claudia:

Unfortunately, this article is obviously not in good shape. I was hoping that some of it could be deciphered.

One of these days, I'll try to find a copy of the article in another paper.

I'll try to find it in the New York Herald, which was James Gordon Bennett's tabloid and it was he who wrote it.

The person who uttered the words, 'weak brained zealot of the purity class' was George Moore, a British author.

Leave a comment:

• Claudia Barlow
    replied
    How does one actually see article??

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    ST:
    If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try to make it more legible.
    I spent a couple of minutes on it before I finally posted it up...but to no avail.
    This Cincy paper is almost always in this condition.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Cincinnati Commercial Tribune
    July 18, 1889

That's a terrific article you've unearthed there, Howard.

A pity though that it's so difficult to read.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    started a topic Weak Brained Zealot Of The Purity Class

Weak Brained Zealot Of The Purity Class

Cincinnati Commercial Tribune
    July 18, 1889

Working...
X