• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Ripper.....A Mormon

Leighton Buzzard
    September 27, 1892

To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com

Living in Mormon country, I feel the need to say all this is hogwash and worse. Even the reporter back then knew as much.

I have wondered why the poor in Whitechapel did not join the Mormons and emigrate to Utah. There were lots of Mormon missionaries working European cities. One thing I am unclear about is if the missionaries targeted people with at least some means who could provide somewhat for themselves in the pioneer communities here in the west. Perhaps the poorest of the poor were not targeted.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Anna:

I've come across several articles which blasted the Mormons ( in English papers) and advocated their expulsion.

Maybe the English didn't buy into the nonsense of a burning bush speaking to Joseph Smith or the magic underwear thing. Mormons were a formidable pest to the United States Govt back in the days of Brigham Young. On the other hand, Mormons are disproportionately represented within the ranks of the FBI.

Young's descendant, Steve Young, is a Hall of Fame QB who played for the San Francisco 49ers.

Just to be clear....I have nothing against people of the Mormon faith.
      To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I very much enjoyed Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven, which explores an undercurrent of blood and violence historically plaguing some strands of mormonism.

The preacher in Howard's clipping probably referenced stories of mormon massacres when brandishing a dagger

Comment

Apparently this William Jarman was a well known figure. Susan Howard published an article on him in the Journal of Mormon history in 2017:
          https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406...3.1.0059?seq=1

It seems he even published a book (or perhaps a pamphlet) entitled "Jack the Ripper Mormons" in 1884:
          https://atom.lib.byu.edu/mormonbib/4360/
          It is on Google Books, but not available in the UK. Maybe in the USA?
          https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ir_esc=y&hl=en

But judging by this blog post he may have been just comparing Jack the Ripper to his Mormon enemies, not claiming knowledge of the real killer:
          http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2012/0...ipper-mormons/

Comment

There were a number of things about the Mormons which made them beyond controversial. What the man said in his lecture is inaccurate.

Mormons got a bad name for polygamy and violence. The violence stems from early persecutions when Mormons formed their own militia, the Dannites. Violence against an opposition newspaper led to Prophet Joseph Smith and others being jailed during which time an equally violent mob stormed the jail and killed Smith and others.

Out west there is the Mountain Meadows Massacre which Mormons attempted to blame on Native Americans. Only recently is this openly discussed.

Temple ceremonies are based upon Masonic ritual which, as Ripperologists know, has violent imagery.

The speaker who described nude anointing was also referencing the temple ceremonies where members are anointed through a veil/curtain by elders. Gowns are worn and certain parts of the body are anointed. I have no idea how extensive this was in the old days since those doing the anointing would always have been male.

A great book on the subject is "No Man Knows My History" by Fawn Brodie. For decades this book was quietly removed from library shelves. I own a copy. It is a very fair historic work.

Even considering all this, Mormons traditionally have lived very decent lives. In general, Mormons are honest and trustworthy. The reason the FBI is full of them is because they don't drink, do drugs and get into embarrassing messes as often as others. On the negative side, as with a number of groups or religions, they can be clannish. Many of our small town governing bodies end up controlled by Mormons which is not always good.

I have a friend who was a school teacher over near Boise, Idaho. He tells of the somewhat wild escapades he and his fellow teachers sometimes got into. His stories are shocking to me and I keep saying, "I can't believe you were a school teacher." I finally figured out that school districts with which I am most familiar, were run by Mormons who required very strict moral behavior in all teachers.

For good or ill....that is my opinion of Mormons.
            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
              It seems he even published a book (or perhaps a pamphlet) entitled "Jack the Ripper Mormons" in 1884
              I don't think this is a book, or even a pamphlet; the only extant copy seems to be at Brigham Young University and is described as a 'broadside.' I think it is nothing more than an advertisement for one of Jarman's lectures. Clearly the year '1884' is wrong; it must be a misprint for 1889.

Jarman strikes me as a complete charlatan; one of those blokes who traveled around and gave blood and thunder lectures that had no foundation in reality. I used to backpack a fair amount down in Utah and picked up a little knowledge of Mormonism; calling them bloodthirsty is about as accurate as calling the Amish or the Quakers bloodthirsty. They still have 'dry' counties in Utah where you can't buy so much as a bottle of beer, but the modern versions are more likely to kill you with kindness than with a dagger. There's a humorous book by John D. Fitzgerald about his Irish Catholic father who married a Mormon woman in Salt Lake City at the turn of the last century, and the horror it caused the in-laws on both sides of the family.

This probably tells you all you need to know about William Jarman, from the Western Mail, 9 Feb 1889. As I say, he must have been what we sometimes call a 'b.s. merchant' out here in the west:

Jarman 1.JPG
              Jarman 2.JPG
              Jarman 3.JPG

Sorry, Mr. Jarman, you've been "busted."

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

I don't think this is a book, or even a pamphlet; the only extant copy seems to be at Brigham Young University and is described as a 'broadside.' I think it is nothing more than an advertisement for one of Jarman's lectures. Clearly the year '1884' is wrong; it must be a misprint for 1889.
                Well spotted :-)

Actually it was in [...], so someone must have drawn a false inference.

Comment

Working...
                X