Dr Morgan Davies' Grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Morgan Davies' Grave

I took this photo in the summer, just happened to be passing Llangwyryfon (not a lot of people can say that!)

This is the grave of Dr Morgan Davies, his wife Margaret and son Geraint.

The inscription reads 'Meddyg, Llenor, Cymwynaswr' (Doctor, Writer, Benefactor).

The interesting thing is that although Davies died in 1920, the memorial stone was not erected until 1974, around about the time his name was first publicly connected with Jack the Ripper.
    Attached Files

Nice photo, Dave. The church looks nice but the yard is a bit over-run!

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

Hi Adam

I don't know - some churchyards ease up on the mowing in order to give various threatened species of flora and fauna a chance to maintain a foothold. Churchyards and railway embankments are two of the main refuges, apparently.

Comment

Dr. Kelrburne King, another man associated with Stephenson, has a grave that is almost impossible to find on account of the cemetery being more like a forest these days.

Comment

Hi Robert,

That might be the case on some occasions but as Mike mentiones, some old cemeteries i've seen look more like jungle territory, home to snakes and so forth rather than any flora and fauna.

Indeed, a decade or so ago in my local community, the council were removing some heavily overgrown areas of the cemetery (now closed) when they discovered a bunch of graves that nobody realised actually existed there because it was so overgrown.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Sculcoates, where Robert D'Onston Stephenson and his siblings and relatives were Christened, has three old cemeteries on one long lane. Every year the local Sculcoates Neighbourhood Association goes in to clear them, and plant around the cemetery. It has really made a difference, but sadly the great efforts rarely last, with people using them as camp sites, and more recently criminals using them to strip cables so that they can sell the metal at scrap yards.

Comment

Sickening as that is, Mike, it is a fairly regular occurrence - those sorts of things along with hoons turning cemeteries into their own private race track, etc etc.

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

Dave:

I neglected to thank you for sharing the photo & information....
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact [email protected]

Comment

Robert D'Onston Stephenson's family grave, holding his parents and aunt, is now gone, it was demolished years ago. Robert D'Onston Stephenson's grandfather, grandmother etc (the Dawbers) grave is the same. Luckily records of the inscriptions were made prior to them beingf removed but it's such a shame.

Comment

Working...
                  X