Updated info on Edith (and Helen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated info on Edith (and Helen)

Ancestry's having a freebie weekend, so I'm taking the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps of Ripper non-victim Edith and the allegedly "royal" heir, "Winnifred" (actually Helen)

The 1891 census has the Claxton family living in Addington (a district containing several smallish villages North of Kingston) Hubby William is there, as is Helen. Interesting for three reasons.

1) Both of Edith's parents are listed as been born in Ontario
    2) Edith's daughter is clearly listed as "Helen", unlike the later census were she was listed as "Winnifred". Obviously she went by her actual given name until she was old enough to decide for herself that she preferred her middle name of Winnifred.
    3) Helen's birthdate is listed as "circa 1890", meaning that if "Mary Kelly" was noticably pregnant in Nov of 1888, her pregnancy lasted at least about 14 months....
    "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Addendum: The Claxton family was, at least nominally, Anglican.

Comment

Passenger list from The Bermudian shows that Edith and Helen arrived in New York from Hamilton, Bermuda on 7 Feb. 1917

Edith's birthplace is listed as Inverary, Ontario, Helen's is listed as Verona, Ontario. Oddly, Helen's birthdate is incorrect on both lists, listed as 1896 (possibly as a result of misreading the "0" as a "6"--gods knows it happens even today).

At the risk of fuelling certain paranoid fantasies, I should point out that I have connections both Inverary and Verona (both villages to the north of here)

Comment

1901 census, Helen is still listed as Helen (albeit misspelled as "Hellen")

Comment

Passenger List from the St. Paul, arriving New York from Liverpool 9 Aug, 1915. Helen appearantly traveling without Edith. Birthdate listed as "circa 1892", final destination listed as "Kingston", status is "Canadian Citizen", current and intended employed listed as "nil".

Another list from the same trip lists "nearest friend or relative from whence alien came" lists Col. B.D. Gordon of Kensington, London as a "friend". page also stamped "non-Immigrant Alien"

Comment

Now this is interesting.

Passenger list from the Hesperian, arriving in Liverpool from St. John, New Brunswick on May 10 1915 lists a "Winnifred Claxton", born "about 1892". Occupation listed as "Nurse" (and travelling with several other women also listing "Nurse" as their occupation")

Is this our Helen? I'd hazard to guess yes, but impossible to say for sure without more info.

Comment

Commerical Directory for Verona shows a William Claxton, M.D. as the local "druggist". Lists population as 300 and--this is funny--mentions that there is a daily stage to Enterprise. This is funny (to me, anyway) because today, Enterprise is literally a crossroads*, with a population smaller than most professional sports teams. The idea of someone wanting to travel from Verona to Enterprise is amusing.

* okay, so it's not "literally" a crossroads--it's actually a T-Junction, but no-one ever wrote a blue classic about goin' down to the T-Junction, did they?

Comment

I've found (at least one) of Edith and Helen's home here in Kingston. I know the area quite well--it's just a few doors down from the Polish Consulate in the old area of town. Now it's quite gentrified, and at the time she was living there it was quite a "toney" area.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                  Now this is interesting.

Passenger list from the Hesperian, arriving in Liverpool from St. John, New Brunswick on May 10 1915 lists a "Winnifred Claxton", born "about 1892". Occupation listed as "Nurse" (and travelling with several other women also listing "Nurse" as their occupation")

Is this our Helen? I'd hazard to guess yes, but impossible to say for sure without more info.
                  I can understand why Helen was going to Liverpool in 1915 as a Nurse given that WWI or the Great War as that conflict was then known there was a very high demand for Nurses. I wonder if you run across any records of her in France or England serving at a camp or soldier's hospital.

In fact while this war was raging there was such a demand for Nurses that a lot of Women were getting some very fast training so that could indeed be your Helen.

Comment

Ran across some City Directories for Kingston that cover Edith and Helen from the early 1900's to the early '20's.

The interesting thing is the Edith (listed as the widow Claxton) and Helen lived at the same Lower Union St. address throughout this time, but for one year. That year, Helen was still at the Lower Union address, but Edith was listed as living at 154 Earl St. What makes it interesting is that 154 Earl St (which still exists) was just down the street from the home of Sir John A Macdonald--the first Prime Minister of Canada and the Father of Confederation. And where was Sir John's law office in 1888? Clarence St.

It is indeed a small world.

Comment

Nice juicy news on the Claxton front.

I found the record for Helen's marraige to George Wood in 1917.

Helen's date of birth is listed as "abt 1891" and her birthplace as "Verona"

Her hubby was born in Scotland and they were married in York (although it doesn't specify whether that was York county or York district).

Comment

Working...
                      X