Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Men Who Weren't The Man Who Wasn't JtR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Men Who Weren't The Man Who Wasn't JtR.

I thought I'd start a separate thread concerning the legion of poor bastards who not only weren't Jack the Ripper, but weren't even Dr. Alfred Pearson (or at least not our Dr. Alfred Pearson).

The only thing these guys have to do with the case is to possess a name suitably similar to Dr. Pearson's, and as such to have come to the attention of "Five Lies" Trenouth.
    "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

The Kidderminster Police Surgeon.

This is the gentleman who Karen claims is actually Dr. Pearson, acting as the Police Surgeon for Kidderminster Five-O...I mean PD.

The claim is based on the summary of a Google Book search for "Pearson + Kidderminster PD" which turns up a hit on a 1898 edition of the Lancet. The edition is not available to view online, so Karen is speculating based entirely on this summary.

I've since read the edition in question--it is simply an acknowledgement that the Lancet received some correspondence from a Mr. Pearson of Kidderminster among the dozens of similar correspondence that week. Said correspondence was not even considered worthy of publication.

There's no mention of any police force or Police Surgeon, rendering Karen's claim ridiculous from the start, but even if this gentleman was a Police Surgeon, he is obviously not our Alfred, because his address is explicitly given as Kidderminster, and it's an established fact that Dr. Pearson lived in Kingswinford.

Comment

The Murchison Memorial Donor

Karen found a list of donors to the Murchison Memorial Fund that included a "Dr. Pearson", which she confidently claimed must be Alfred.

Unfortunately the list is from 1879, a year before Pearson first appeared in the Medical Directory. As such, using the honorific of "Dr."--even as a courtesy title--would have been illegal, leaving Pearson open to not only professional censure, but criminal charges.

As soon as I pointed this out, the references to this Dr. Pearson promptly disappeared from Karen's blog without a word of explanation. What a surprise!

Comment

The Rugby Star.

Karen found a refence to an "AW Pearson" who played rugby for Guy's Hospital and Blackheath, going so far as to be named on the Honours Board for Guy's Hospital Rugby Football Club
        Internationals from 1875-78 and acting as Secretary for the Blackheath club.

On the face of it quite promising--I'd thought so myself several months earlier when I contacted Guy's Hospital to learn more. What they told me was that this "A.W. Pearson" was in fact Alec Pearson, who was neither a Doctor or a a Medical Student, and who played for Guy's as a guest.

Karen tried to contact Blackheath Rugby club, to no avail, at which point she gave up all efforts to research further and simply declared that her initial speculation--that this Pearson was our Alfred--was correct, without any further evidence.

Just for the record, the reason why Karen's IP was blocked from the Blackheath appears to be a lack of paid membership, rather than any nefarious plot to thwart her inquiries.

Comment

The First Cricket Star.

Karen claims that an article from The Medical Times and Gazette, July 4, 1874 entitled "United Hospital's Athletic Sports", listing AW Pearson of Guy's Hospital as the winner of the "Throwing The Cricket Ball", is evidence of our Alfred playing cricket and by extension is the same AW Pearson who played Rugby for Guy's Hospital. Neither is likely for two reasons, which will get to shortly.

Some background--the article concerns the results for an event very much like a school's "Games Day"--medical students from various London hospitals competing against each other in a variety of games, one of which is obviously "throwing the cricket ball". This doesn't mean the winner (or any participant) was necessarily a cricketer, and it doesn't refer to a game of cricket.

Okay, now the two reasons why this AW Pearson can't be both our Alfred and the Rugby star (who I've already shown wasn't our Alfred). He can't be the Rugby star because the games day was for medical students of London hospitals. The AW Pearson who won the cricket ball toss was a medical student, while the AW Pearson who won accolades on the Rugby pitch was not. Ergo they aren't the same person.

Further, the AW Pearson who won the cricket ball toss was a student at Guy's Hospital. Our Alfred was a student at Queen's College, Birmingham, and there's absolutely no record of him ever attending Guy's Hospital. Ergo, they aren't the same person.

So who was this AW Pearson? Well actually there was a medical student at Guy's Hospital named AW Pearson at around this time . I know this because he testified at an Old Bailey trail concerning an assault in which he had treated the victim. In his brief testimony, he states that he was in residence at Guy's Hospital.

Although I can't say for sure that this is the same AW Pearson who won the ball toss--after all, we now have three confirmed AW Pearson's in play with a possible fourth waiting in the wings, so it's impossible to state that there can't be more-- I can say with confidence that he is a better candidate than the other two AW Pearsons.

Comment

The Second Cricket Star

In the same post, Karen posts a extract from a piece entitiled "Another Cricket Season" from Bailey's Magazine of Sports and Pastimes. This extract again mentions a cricketer named AW Pearson. The implication is that this is the same AW Pearson who won the ball toss for Guy's Hospital, who in turn is the same AW Pearson who played rugby for Guy's, who in turn is our Alfred (anyone feeling dizzy yet).

However, either Karen didn't read the whole article, or she did read the whole article and simply hoped that no-one else would. Because it states quite clearly that this particular AW Pearson was attending, and playing cricket for, Oxford.

I suppose it's remotely possible (although completely unproven) that one of the other "sporting Pearsons" attended Oxford at some point in their lives, but we know for a fact that our Alfred (and he's the only one who counts, in this context) most certainly didn't. Ergo this AW Pearson is not our Alfred either.

Comment

The Executor

Karen found an entry in the London Gazette dated 1907 listing an Alfred William Pearson as the executor of the estate of one George Frederick Pearson. Naturally she claimed that this must be our Alfred--and just as naturally she was dead wrong.

Had she searched further (or if she did search further, had she been honest with the results) she would have found that this same Alfred William Pearson was listed as executor for the estates of John and Charles Pearson. In both of these wills, Alfred William Pearson is named as the brother of the deceased. Our Alfred had no brothers named John or Charles.

Even worse for Karen, these entries are from 1923 and 1926 respectively--in other words 3 and 6 years after our Alfred's own demise.

If Karen has an explanation for this discrepency, I'd be interested (not to say amused) to hear it, but so far none has been forthcoming.

Comment

So anyway............

Would I be correct in saying that Alfred 'Wallaby - Smacker' Pearson who was charged with 'bestiality and other noisome things' in Garang Garra Australia 1745 is also unlikely to be our Pearson? I mean the name is the same!
                www.darkdeedswales.com

Comment

And what about................

Peter 'The pious' Pearson, the fourteenth apostle, not the same as well? Gosh this researching really is hard. I took the Krazy Karen course on research and I thought all you had to do was to pick out people with the same name or even people who's name started with the same letter, or another letter but belonging to the same alphabet.............

I mean how can you get the right Pearson if you let the minor irritation of him being dead stand in the way of brilliant research?
                  www.darkdeedswales.com

Comment

Judge Hinton:

I mean how can you get the right Pearson if you let the minor irritation of him being dead stand in the way of brilliant research?

Where have YOU been lately?

Ever hear of zombies? Pearson could have been a zombie.
                    Attached Files
                    To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

You guys mock now, but wait until your ideas turn up in The True History of the World...

Comment

The Cape Colony Doctor.

Karen gleefully posted an article by a Dr. Pearson entitled "The Value of Liquor Soda Chlorate in Enteric Fever", doing a little victory dance because she'd finally found evidence that Pearson was a published author.

As is often the case, Karen posted before bothering to read the article--the lure of the name and the prospect of proving me wrong was just too great. When I suggested that there was something hinky about the article, Karen finally got around to reading it, and immediately erased it from her blog.

The reason? The article makes it quite clear that the author's observations were from his treatment of enteric fever in....Cape Colony, South Africa.

Since Cape Colony--even for someone with Karen's geographical flexibility--is not within commuting distance of Kingswinford, it's a pretty safe bet that this Dr. Pearson was not our Alfred.

Comment

Pearson the zit-doctor.

Karen found references to a Dr. Pearson in the 1883 edition of "The Book Of Prescriptions: Containing Upwards of 3000 Prescriptions, Collected From The Practice Of The Most Eminent Physicians And Surgeons." Doubtless the combination of "Pearson" and "Eminent Physicians and Surgeons" caused shivers up and down her spine.

Sadly it is not to be--the 1853 edition of the book contains the same entries attributed to the same Dr. Pearson. I know that Karen believes Alfred to be able to travel through time and space at will, but even she would be hard pressed to explain how the good doctor managed to attain the level of "Eminent Physician and Surgeon" many years before he'd been born.

Since Karen can't claim that she didn't have access to the earlier editions (since she also quoted a reference to a Dr. Parrish from the 1853 edition in the same post) she did the next best thing and erased all mention of this "research" from her blog.

Comment

Nice work,faulty researcher !! The title of this thread is the most best title of a thread in all of Ripperology,Mag.

but even she would be hard pressed to explain how the good doctor managed to attain the level of "Eminent Physician and Surgeon" many years before he'd been born.-Mag

Wanna bet?
                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

The Leamington Pearson

Karen found an entry for an Alfred William Pearson in the 1912 edition of the Kelly's Directory for Warwickshire. This, states Karen, "is definitely our Alfred William". I don't know what basis she has for this bold assertion, because she offers no evidence whatsoever, except I guess that no evidence that this wasn't our Alfred leapt up and grabbed her by the nose.

While there's a slim (okay, downright emanciated) chance that this is our Alfred, there's no evidence so far that this is the case. The 1912 edition of the Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire still lists Dr. Pearson as living and pracitising at Townsend House, Kingswinford--confirming everything we know so far about Dr. Pearson's life.

Maybe he stayed in Leamington to shorten the commute to the Cape Colony...

Comment

Working...
                              X