Mrs. Claxton's grave...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs. Claxton's grave...

Spring is (tentatively) here, and once the ground dries out a little I shall return to my regular habit of luncheoning with the Prime Minister. On one of those afternoons, should the sun be bright and the sky clear, I shall take my digital camera over to Mrs. Claxton's gravesite and take some nice photos to replace the fuzzy cell-phone snapshots I posted previously.

"The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Smoking guns...

Now that my local library offers access to Ancestry.com (for free, for those keeping track of the Claxton investigation expenses) I was able to find pretty conclusive proof that Edith Claxton was not Mary Kelly (okay, so no-one believed that anyway, but still).

What I found:

William Jr's birth record, listing William Claxton and "meifh" bond, dated 1884 in Ontario, Canada

1891 census record showing the whole family living together.

1901 census showing the whole family still together

The 1911 census showing Edith and Winnifred (the only "evidence" that Karen previously provided that Edith Claxton was Mary Kelly and Winnifred was Jack The Ripper's offspring)

Marriage Certificate for Helen Winnifred Claxton to George Wood. Father listed as William Claxton, Mother listed as "Bond" Birthplace listed as "Verona, Ont.". Witnessed by Edith A Claxton

William Claxton's death notice (not a lot of info, but it does mention that he was a member of the Queen's University Faculty of Medicine, opening up further research possiblities)

1912 Record of William Claxton Jr entering Cape Vincent from Canada--Citizenship listed as "Canadian", closest relative listed as "Edith Claxton, Kingston Ontario". Destination: Fort Smith

Passenger list from the "St. Paul" showing Winnifred returning from Liverpool in 1915. Place of birth? "Canada" Destination? "Kingston"

Passenger list from the "Bermudian" shows Edith and Winnifred arriving in New York City from Hamilton, Bermuda. Country of birth is listed as "Canada" for both. The record lists Edith's age as 61 and asks passengers whether they've been in Canada before, and if so, for how long. Edith's answer? "61 years"

Karen had access to all this stuff; so did she not find it, or did she find it and ignore it?

Edith Bond was born in Ontario, married William Claxton in Ontario, had two children (William and Helen Winnifred) in Ontario, died in Ontario and was buried in Cataraqui Cemetary in Kingston, Ontario next to her husband, children and son in law.

Comment

The wife and I had lunch with the Prime Minister today, and afterwards decided to visit the Claxton family, since we were in the neighbourhood.

The wet spring has been a mixed blessing. On the plus sign the grass is a thick, luxerious green, but sadly because they inhabit a corner lot of a very narrow intersection, there are deep tire ruts that have become waterlogged. Hopefully the groundkeepers (who do an excellent job) will fix that up soon.

Comment

How odd...

La Trenouth has someone apparently willing to listen to her "Claxton is Kelly" nonsense and instead of providing him with the census information she's been claiming for years backs up her story, she's burying the poor guy under a deluge of Clastons, Claxtons, Cloustons etc. etc.

It can't be because she's finally admitting she was wrong--she's still making the absurd claim that Mary was whisked away to Kingston and transformed into Edith Claxton--she just won't give the guy the same "evidence" she's been pawning off on everyone else for years.

Interesting....

Comment

Hi Magpie

Do you know where KT got the "nee O'Brian" bit from in reference to Kelly?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
            Hi Magpie

Do you know where KT got the "nee O'Brian" bit from in reference to Kelly?

Hi Nemo.

Probably from Fairclough, but I remember some article on her previous blog claiming (with scant evidence) that Mary Kelly was actually Mary O'Brien. Sadly that particular "Ripper Expert" blog no longer exists, and I dont believe that she copied that specific article onto her new forum.

Feel free to ask her to repost it--I'm sure she would if you asked nicely.

Comment

Yeah right - lol

I tend not to visit her site unless I want a laugh

She did post something from Lloyds Weekly I hadn't seen before which reported that one of the soldiers had asseulted Pearly Poll near George yard, and that the speculation was that Tabram was dragged up the stairs to where she was murdered

It was just that the name O'Brian has emerged from the Scotland Yard ledgers so I was wondering if that might turn out to be connected in some way

Comment

Sorry, that should read "Special Branch ledgers" and the name is O'Brien"

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                  Yeah right - lol

I tend not to visit her site unless I want a laugh
                  Usually I pop in when Bob alerts me to something he thinks I should see, lol.

Actually Karen fairly frequently posts some very interesting articles that she's dug up. Now that she's given up on the third tome, she doesn't seem to have the same driving need to bend everything to fit her theories, and she just presents the info as is.

I confess that I like the podcasts too....

Comment

Working...
                  X