Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumblety referred to as "Brooklyn's beauty" by Anderson

The clip below is new to me
    It claims that Robert Anderson sent a cable to Supt. Campbell of Brooklyn asking him to make inquiries about Tumblety.
    Certain things about this account caught my eye:-
    It claims to quote from the cable "He (Tumblety) says he is known to you (Campbell) as Brooklyn's beauty." I haven't seen this name for Tumblety before.
    Also, interestingly, this account gives the real reason for Tumblety's arrest in London. Normally accounts from the US in December 1888 state that Tumblety was arrested for being concerned in the killings, but this account specifically says he was arrested for indecent assault.

It is from the New Ulm Weekly Review (Minnesota) of 5 December 1888
    Attached Files

Hello Chris

That term for Tumblety also appears in an article from the Brooklyn Citizen of November 23, 1888, as posted by Mike Hawley on the Casebook Forums in the thread on "Was Tumblety in Jail during the Kelly Murder?" (post number 250).

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
      Hello Chris

That term for Tumblety also appears in an article from the Brooklyn Citizen of November 23, 1888, as posted by Mike Hawley on the Casebook Forums in the thread on "Was Tumblety in Jail during the Kelly Murder?" (post number 2500).

Best regards

Chris
      many thanks Chris

Comment

CG,Chris....

Nice find, Chris...and you are correct, of course, that an overwhelming majority of US newspaper accounts mention the Whitechapel Murders in connection to Brooklyn's Beauty...a.k.a. Tumblety... during December..but not simply the indecent assault charges.

The article CG refers to ( Brooklyn Citizen, November 23, 1888) also mentions the indecent assault...and nothing more.
        To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
        Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

This thread began with Chris Scott posting a report that had made its way to a Minnesota newspaper. The first time I read that report was in 2010 when it appeared in the Casebook Examiner. Roger displayed it in Part Two of his series: Inspector Andrews Revisited.

"Tumblety was arrested in London some weeks ago as the supposed Whitechapel murderer. Since his incarceration in prison he has boasted of how he has succeeded in baffling the police."

If Tumblety did indeed shoot off his mouth while in a London jail, then he probably would have done so privately while in conversation with another prisoner. A lad who Tumblety figured he could impress by the force of his personality. That was usually how he operated. I don't think Tumblety would have directly confronted policemen with this type of bragging talk about how he had successfully baffled them.

I bring this topic up because I have been reading an old article by Bernard Brown about Charles Peace, the infamous burglar and murderer. Peace was arrested in Oct 1878 while using an alias name. He was confined at the Park Row police station and was eventually questioned by Detective Inspector Henry Phillips of the CID. But Peace was stubborn. He kept to his alias name and he wouldn't reveal his home address. Then a detective was planted in Peace's jail cell to pose as a prisoner, but Peace didn't fall for the trick. He kept quiet.

It makes me wonder if the cops tried this same trick 10 years later by planting a mole in Tumblety's cell to pose as a prisoner. A gullible-looking young man who Tumblety would enjoy bragging to.

Comment

Working...
          X