Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Tumblety & Black Bart Together**

Talk about bizarre.....

This German language article appeared on page 9 of the Wichita Daily Eagle, an English language newspaper.
    For some mysterious reason, the first six columns are in German and the last column, the 7th, is in English. On no other page in this 12 page edition does this happen.

Wichita Daily Eagle
    Wichita Kansas
    December 30, 1888

Attached Files
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Black Bart ( Charles Earl Bowles )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bart_(outlaw)

Black Bart was the most prolific stage coach robber in the Western United States in the 1879's and 1880's.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I've asked three German language speakers to see if they can translate the article.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Katya Nieder, one of the folks I asked to translate the article, has put something together...which I will post when I get home from work.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The article translated from German.
          Many thanks to Katya for her assistance !!!

"Another Pair

One hates women, the other one is a robber.

As is generally known, some time ago the London police arrested a certain “Dr” Tumblety, an American of rather mysterious background, on suspicion of being responsible for the murders of women, but had to release him soon after for lack of evidence. Shortly after that, the alleged doctor, who is said to be a very eccentric character and is well known in various towns of this country, took a ship to New York, where he arrived a couple of days ago. At least for the first days he was kept under surveillance by the police, although they did not believe he was in any way connected to the said murders. The reason why some wanted to see him as the notorious “Jack the Ripper” was that he had always shown a great dislike, even hatred of the female sex, and had often expressed his feelings in a very drastic manner. Where from he got his doctorate nobody knows, and it is also quite a mystery how he came by the abundant means he seems to have at his disposal at all times.

Another man who has been talked about much lately is the notorious “Black Bart”, who has a lively business of street robbery in California. For the diversion and entertainment of the ladies who cross the path of his business travels he hands out poems he writes on the fly, but he doesn´t rob them. His audacity and impudence are legendary. Although always alone, he still robs coaches full of passengers, makes the latter stand in line wearing masks, robs them of their valuables and then uses them as threatening props while robbing the coach approaching from the opposite direction. Its passengers regard the masked figures as the audacious robber´s accomplices in crime, and let themselves be looted without resistance. As soon as he has completed the robbery he orders his victims to remain in this position for a certain time while he sneaks away, looking for a new field of action. The poems dedicated to the ladies are said to be remarkable rather for their biting sarcasm than for their elegance of expression. This is an example of what he composed for a lady´s album: “Women´s sword is their tongue, and they take care that it won´t go rusty.” "
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Wasn’t Black Bart an Englishman? From Norfolk?

Comment

Yes he was Gary....his family emigrated when he was 2 years old.

I've labored long and hard for bread,
                For honor, and for riches,
                But on my corns too long you've tread,
                You fine-haired sons of bitches.

— Black Bart, 1877
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                X