Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Narrative Of Doctor Tumblety ( 1872, New York)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrative Of Doctor Tumblety ( 1872, New York)

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Follow the arrow at bottom right to take you to the next page.

Let me know if you can't do that.

https://play.google.com/books/reader...=en&pg=GBS.PR2
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Tumblety

Howard,

Tumblety arrested on 7 Nov 1888 for acts of gross indecency. Where was he arrested and by whom?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sullivan View Post
        Howard,

Tumblety arrested on 7 Nov 1888 for acts of gross indecency. Where was he arrested and by whom?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul
        Hello Paul

I would direct you to Stewart P. Evans and Paul Gainey's Jack the Ripper: American Serial Killer (Kodansha, 1995), as well as to Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner's The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook: An Illustrated Encyclopedia (Robinson Publishing, 2000). Also listen to Mike Hawley's talk at RipperCon in Baltimore --

Michael Hawley's talk, "Dr. Francis Tumblety: Among the Best Suspects," is available on Rippercast to stream or download at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=127.

Best regards

Chris

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
        Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Hi again Paul

The latest Rippercast podcast, on "'The Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" is also relevant because Janis Wilson at one point "rips" into the idea that Tumblety could possibly have been the Ripper. Check it out at

http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=131

Best regards

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Paul:

Sorry to respond so slowly.

There are some scans here in the Tumblety section of the arrest sheets ( I'm sorry but I do not recall the name of the arresting officer). I'll try to find them and add them to the thread.

My advice or suggestion is to pick up a copy of Timothy Riordan's book, Prince Of Quacks. He doesn't have an urge to prove Tumblety guilty of anything other than being a quack and reckless individual when it came to risky behavior with men when it was really risky.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Here you go Paul :

Again, the name of the arresting officer escapes me at the moment.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

By the way, Paul....

Tumblety went by the name 'Dr. Sullivan' while in Nova Scotia.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=22648
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

My two cents worth -

The name of the two officers who apparently arrested Tumblety on the indecency charges were Detective Sergeant Frank Froest, C.O., and Detective Sergeant Walter Dinnie, C.O.

We don't know exactly where Tumblety was arrested but when he was taken before a Magistrate he appeared before J.L. Hannay at the Marlborough Street Police Court at 21 Great Marlborough Street, London West (so not in the East End).

It does not appear that Tumblety ever did work in Nova Scotia or that he used the name Sullivan (although that's not certain). The supposed details of his Nova Scotian exploits (said to have taken place in 1864) seem to be a muddling of his time in St. John, New Brunswick, in 1860.

I, too, would recommend Tim Riordan's book for a balanced view of Tumblety's life. I bought a copy of Mike Hawley's book but haven't read it yet. Just from leafing through it and reading bits that have caught my eye, however, I can say that I wouldn't recommend it.

Wolf.

Comment

Tumblety

Many thanks to CG, HB and WV for your replies and help on Dr T.

All the best,

Paul

Comment

Wolf:

Thanks for the names of the two policemen....and for this :

It does not appear that Tumblety ever did work in Nova Scotia or that he used the name Sullivan (although that's not certain). The supposed details of his Nova Scotian exploits (said to have taken place in 1864) seem to be a muddling of his time in St. John, New Brunswick, in 1860.

Much appreciated.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Paul and How.

My pleasure.

Apparently, How, Mike Hawley didn't like the fact that we endorsed Tim's book over his own. I'm not surprised, but it is only my opinion. Nothing more.

Wolf.

Comment

Wolf:

Its a thing that Ripperologists who happen to be in the teaching profession share. A near manic response to any criticism. If not manic, then an over- dramatic reaction to criticism of said suspect.

Thing is...is that I wasn't criticizing him or anyone in particular. Tim's book doesn't twist things around like Harris's D'Onston trilogy did...or other books which try to fit ten pounds of sugar into a five pound bag. Which is what the Tumblety-as-Ripper theory is...but something else, not sugar.

Thanks for letting me know Wolf.

P.S. If he had asked me what I meant by my post here on The Forums, I'd have told him.
                          I'd have also told him as someone, like him, who has tried to find out every iota of possible data on a suspect ( Me with D'Onston ), that that is excellent work. Its whats needed in our field.
                          Last edited by Howard Brown; June 18, 2016, 01:16 PM. Reason: Edited to properly phrase a sentence
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How.

I just laughed out loud! The ten pound/five pound "sugar" analogy is exactly what I thought of when I glanced through Mike's book.

I know that sounds like I'm being an asshole but what I see, again at only a first glance, is a book filled with old Casebook posts; old articles and what I suspect is a lot of help from other Tumblety supporters. You might think there's nothing wrong with any of that but the problems arise when Mike uses old Casebook posts which have been refuted by others: Mike posted X, someone responded to show how this is wrong, Mike reprints X in his book as fact anyway.

Small case in point: back in 2008 or 9 Mike posted on Casebook that in 1891 Tumblety lived in New York fairly close (as the crow flies if I remember correctly) to the East River Hotel where Carrie Brown was murdered. Therefore Tumblety might have been the killer!

It was pointed out to Mike that in fact we don't know if Tumblety was even in New York at the time of the Brown murder (he had, only days earlier been in Hot Springs, Arkansas, where he was robbed, and he next turned up in St Louis a couple of weeks later).

I pointed out that the man who murdered Brown was seen by at least one (and probably a second) excellent witness(s) and that we have a fairly detailed description of the killer and that this man was not Tumblety. I even posted the description so that everyone could see for themselves.

Glancing through Mike's book I found that he has completely ignore what others had told him and, instead, suggests that Tumblety might have killed Brown (because he lived in New York fairly close to the East River Hotel).

The parts that I have read so far are all much like the above. This is basically why I would recommend Tim's book over Mike's any day.

Sorry for the rant.

Wolf.

Comment

Dr T

Hi all,

Just quickly, who were the police apparently watching at 22 Batty St, was it Dr T?

If so, we know this lodger left the day after the "Double Event". If this was our dear old Dr T, where was he residing in London until his arrest on the 7th Nov after fleeing Batty Street?

All the best,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X