Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Few Passages In The Life Of Dr. Francis Tumblety (Cincinnati, 1866 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Passages In The Life Of Dr. Francis Tumblety (Cincinnati, 1866 )

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Dr T

Hi How,

Did any handwriting notes get sent to Scotland Yard from Frisco police to match up with the JtR letters?

I know both police were in contact with one another, but I cannot find out if SY did definitely receive samples of Tumblety's writing.

Many thanks,

Paul

Comment

Dear Paul:

You know, I ought to know the answer ( if Tumblety's handwriting was actually compared to any of the missives ), but damned if I recall reading a clear cut yes or no. Sorry, Paul.

Here's what I do know. A New York Times article from November 23rd, 1888 stated that as early as November 19th. Scotland Yard had been in touch with the police in San Francisco, seeking examples of Tumblety's handwriting.

Tim Riordan, in Prince of Quacks, points out that the Times report was a reprint of articles in the San Francisco papers which indicated that the head of SFPD, Chief Crowley got in touch with Scotland Yard after reports of Tumblety's arrest were widely circulated.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Paul and Howard.

The New York Times, 23 November, 1888, stated that San Francisco Chief of Police Crowley sent a message to Scotland Yard on the 29th of October saying that he could "furnish specimens of Tumblety's handwriting." The date is wrong.

From the San Francisco newspapers we know that Crowley sent his telegram to London on the 19th of November, not the 29th of October. Also, the Times was correct in stating that it was Crowley who first contacted London offering handwriting samples and not London contacting San Francisco seeking handwriting samples. Three days later, on the 22nd of November, Crowley received a reply from London stating: "Thanks. Send handwriting and all details you can of Tumblety." The telegram was signed "Anderson, Scotland Yard."

Presumably Crowley sent the handwriting samples, taken from letters Tumblety wrote to the Hibernia Bank, his San Francisco bank, and, presumably, Scotland Yard received them. As Tumblety's handwriting doesn't seem to match any of the letters, and Scotland Yard doesn't seemed to have believed in the authenticity of the letters anyway, it's difficult to say what ever came of it all. The one thing that it does point to is that Tumblety certainly was a person of interest to Scotland Yard at the time.

Wolf.

Comment

Wolf:

Thank you for the correction. I wrote down what Tim had written in Prince Of Quacks...

Glad you don't charge me for the number of corrections you make. Well, at least I keep you busy, buddy.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How.

Recently there has been a lot of utter bilge tossed out there concerning Tumblety (not by you, of course). I just like to keep everyone honest.

Wolf.

Comment

Working...
            X