**Another Tumblety Lie ? : In Washington, 1862**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Another Tumblety Lie ? : In Washington, 1862**

In looking through some of the papers I've been scouring for Tumblety related articles....I saw this testimonial to his uncanny abilities to cure consumption, as well as the occasional pimple.

Evening Star
    Washington
    March 19, 1862

Remember the date this article was signed....March 18, 1862

Moving right along....I looked into the list of Mayors of D.C. during the Civil War and located the actual, not just 'acting', Mayor of D.C.....Richard Wallach....Mayor from September 14, 1861 – June 8, 1868

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wallach

I then became curious about this 'Acting Mayor' William T. Dove, so I looked around and came up with essentially zilch. It was then I asked Nina to do some looking.

William T. Dove
    Dove was born in 1813 in either D.C.. He was married to Ann Parker, June 26, 1838 in D.C.
    Dove was a coal merchant in 1850 and living in D. C.
    He was a slave owner in 1857
    His net worth in real estate in 1850 : 1,600 dollars

In 1860, he had 5,000 in real and 1,000 in his pocket.....and is listed as a merchant...in D.C.

In 1870, he has 600 dollars in his pocket and 4,000 in real estate....and he's a farmer living in Maryland.

In 1880, he's in Maryland....all alone, occupation : Office.

He died on February 3, 1892....Oak Hill Cemetery, Washington.

Dove was, as you will read, an Alderman....the head of the Board of Alderman and a candidate for the position of Mayor after the arrest of Mayor James Berret for sedition in August of 1861.

This article mentions Dove in his 'actual', not 'acting' role but his position as President of the Board of Aldermen.

National Republican
    Washington
    February 22, 1861

Then the arrest and hoopla about Berret's arrest...and mention of three candidates for interim Mayor....Dove being one of them.

Wallach, of course, was chosen and began serving 19 days after Berret's arrest.....and served for 7 years.

National Republican

August 26, 1861

Refer back to the original article about the wunderkind curing some fellow's consumption. On that date, March 18, 1862, Richard Wallach, not William Thomas Dove, was acting and actual Mayor of Washington.

Census work and one article located by wunderkind Nina Brown
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Well done, How and Nina.

Despicable for someone to make money out of desperately ill people by selling them something that doesn't work, plus using names of prominent people to assist in the scam. They should have sued him.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Well done, How and Nina.

Despicable for someone to make money out of desperately ill people by selling them something that doesn't work, plus using names of prominent people to assist in the scam. They should have sued him.
      Interesting stuff, How and Nina
      Robert, I wonder why they didn't sue him? These adverts were in the Washington papers? Why didn't they print retractions? ...maybe they did?
      In 1868 there was a situation where the head of the Aldermen automatically became acting mayor but in this case the dates obviously don't tally as there was a mayor in office.

Comment

Robert, I wonder why they didn't sue him? These adverts were in the Washington papers? Why didn't they print retractions? ...maybe they did?
        -Debs-

I haven't seen any, Debs....this was also around the time ( back in late 1861, I recall ) Tumblety was being parodied on stage in D.C.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Debs, Bob.....by the way :

Nina scoured the census ( 1860 ) and found ONE John Laird ( The man 'cured' of consumption in the Tumblety ad ) for the region. No middle initial 'A'.

Plus this article.......last name on the list.....32 days before the Tumblety ad appeared.

National Republican
          Washington
          February 10, 1862

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Wow! What's going on there, then?

Tumblety was repeating this stuff as late as 1870 (Daily Evening Bulletin, San Francisco, April 8th).

Comment

The article Robert found and mentioned....

Daily Evening Bulletin

San Francisco
              April 8, 1870
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, Laird may technically have been part of the US Capitol Police. I don't know if records survive :

https://www.archives.gov/legislative...apitol-police/

Comment

Tumblety's testimonials appeared daily throughout April of 1862...

This one which follows is similar to the March 1862 testimonial, featuring an acting Mayor.

Trouble is, is that there never was a Mayor of Quebec or an 'acting' Mayor of Quebec ( Quebec City, to be precise ) by the name of George Hall.
                  See for yourself.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...of_Quebec_City

There was a George Hall on the City Council.....in 1847

Scobie & Balfour's Canadian Almanac, and Repository of Useful Knowledge
                  Toronto

The fact that Tumblety used phony testimonials isn't surprising......but what does surprise me somewhat as I think it does Debs....is that no one apparently took the time to question whether there were 'acting' Mayors by the names Tumblety used. Using the name of a man who wasn't Quebec's Mayor would probably fool most people since, after all, it was Canadian, not American.
                  But Tumblety had them as big as pumpkins to use the Dove testimonial, in my opinion. Using it in the same city in which he claimed Dove was an 'acting' Mayor.

Evening Star

May 10, 1862
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, Laird may technically have been part of the US Capitol Police. I don't know if records survive :

-Bob Linford-

I think he was serving in the role of a lookout or, as his job description in the newspaper article mentions, Watchman.
                    He may have mouthed off or associated with a known Reb sympathizer...the War wasn't going as well for the North thought it would at that time....which is why I became as interested in that testimonial as I've become. I hope it might lead to Tumblety and known CSA spies, etc.....it still might.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, I was going by this, which mentions the force having 8 watchmen in 1873 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-RARE-ID...V/120879302178

Comment

Thanks Bob.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                        X