• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Largest Estate Of All St. Louis Misers...'

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    February 26, 1911

To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com

The previous post mistakenly claimed that Tumblety died in 1904, but he died in 1903.

The May 1903 calendar is exactly the same as the current May 2020 calendar. 117 years ago today, it was Sunday May 24, 1903. The Superioress of St. John's Hospital in St. Louis, Sister Mary Teresa Gillis, mailed a letter on that Sunday to Tumblety's banker Henry Clews. That letter was sent four days prior to Tumblety's death. I presented the letter in the Oct/Nov 2017 issue of Ripperologist, and I will present it again on the next post. The letter was originally discovered by Michael Sandknop.

Comment

St. Louis, Mo, May 24th 1903.

Mr. Henry Clews,

Respected Sir;

You will pardon me for taking the liberty of writing to you, but we have a patient by the name of Dr. Tumblety who claims he knows you. He came to us in a very sad plight and the most abject-looking individual and I was more than astonished when I had a little conversation with him that he could possibly get so down low. With a great deal of diplomacy I got him to take a bath and get on some class clothes, he had some money, about $167 and he gave it to me to put in the safe for him but the last money you sent him he carried on his person and (he) wanders out on the street corners and I was afraid somebody would knock him down and take it from him. Now what I want to say is this, according to his own statement he has means and we are afraid to say anything to him about it as he may suspect that we want him to will some to us. Of course, we as a religious body and have a great many calls upon our charity, would make good use of all we could get but we don't want to influence any one unless disposed to give voluntarily.

The poor doctor has only a very short time to live and we know absolutely nothing about him or if he has relatives and he will not tell us anything about himself and therefore I thought you would write to him and ask him to settle his affairs so that I would know what to do with him when he does die. He is fully aware of his approaching death and says he will have to fix things up, but thinks that perhaps in a day or two he may feel better but that is not likely as it is Bright's Disease, his poor heart is nearly played out, poor man I feel so sorry for him so lonely and old among strangers, of course he has all the attention we can possibly give him but he is so peculiar that we cannot make him as comfortable as we could a more tractable person. Pardon me, for writing at such length but I really do not know what to do and I would be so grateful for any information or advice you could give me.

I am with great respect,

Sincerely,

Sister Mary Teresa

Comment

Working...
      X