Tumblety in Philadelphia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumblety in Philadelphia

North American and United States Gazette (Philadelphia)
    July 2, 1863

ANOTHER QUEER CASE

A warrant was issued by the mayor yesterday for the arrest of one of the characters of Philadelphia. He calls himself the great Indian doctor, and professes the ability to tell any person's ailments without asking a question. He has an office in Chestnut street. He is the most decided fop on the promonade, and rides a "spotty" horse of circus-like appearance. He wears pants and gloves to match, always of the stunning and outre colors. He caused the arrest of a man some time ago, whom he charged with stealing from him a medal of solid gold, costing $800, which he said was given to him by the city of Montreal for distinguished services in time of epidemic. He made affidavit to that effect. Chief Franklin has since written to the Mayor of Montreal, who replies that the city never gave him any medal, but that he had himself caused one to be made worth about fifty dollars. The charge against him now is perjury. He was not to be found last night, and the "spotty" horse was also missing.

North American and United States Gazette (Philadelphia)
    July 3, 1863

CAN'T BE FOUND

The Indian doctor to whom we referred yesterday as "wanted" at the detective's office, cannot be found. He rejoices in the name of Dr. Tumblety. In Chestnut street, below Fourth, of late a picture has been suspended as an advertisement of the Doctor. It represents two squaws and a male Chippeway, done in chrome and cochineal, while an inscription says that the great Indian doctor across the way will describe the ailments of anybody without asking any questions. Dr. Tumblety boarded at the Girard House. The "spotty" horse that he ostentatiously rode boarded at the stables in the rear. The doctor's wardrobe was extensive, and his pants were invariably of the most stunning shades. The Mayor issued a warrant for his arrest, but he cannot be found. He has probably ridden the "spotty" horse out of the city. The present charge against him is perjury.

Comment

Girard House

Girard House where Tumblety boarded near 9th & Chestnut streets ( Downtown area).
      Attached Files

Comment

Nina and I took a ride this afternoon to go see the Girard House Hotel, which according to the Philadelphia Blue Book catered to the "upper class".

Here's an early photo of it...

Its no longer there, having been turned into a parking lot years ago on 823-835 Chestnut Street.
        Attached Files
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

The Philadelphia Inquirer
          June 27, 1863

TEN DOLLARS REWARD, if the Indian Herb Doctor from Canada fails to describe diseases and tell his patients the nature of their complaints without receiving any information from them. No charge for advice or consultation.
          No. 333 Chestnut street, below Fourth.

Ad placed by Tumbelty

Comment

There's nothing there at 333 Chestnut Street anymore. Its close to Carpenter's Hall, which has been there for quite sometime. But whatever outfit was there, ain't there now.

It used to be this... Stephen Greenley's Cigars back in 1867

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search

Check out the second URL

The handbill of the "Seegar" store.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Vaux

This is the Mayor of Philadelphia who put out the warrant for Tumbelty. The street he had named for him is less than two and a half miles from my front door.

Two bits of useless info here...

32 years later...one of my cousin Bonnie's Great Grandfathers was the Mayor of Philadelphia, Charles Warwick in 1895.

When I placed Stephen Greenley in to the search engine, there were references to Kingston Upon Hull...of all places.

Small world.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Ten Dollar Reward

Philadelphia Inquirer
                May 15,1863
                Page 4

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Howard,

Interesting find. Question: How long was Francis in Philly? Also, since this time was during the American Civil War, did he involve himself with Union activities? Thanks again

Comment

JT:

Tim Riordan has him here ( by virtue of the ad on the previous post) around May 15th,1863 and leaving prior to July 3rd.
                    He probably didn't spend enough time here to take in a decent cheesesteak or wash it down with a raspberry gelati....6 weeks in 1863.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                      JT:

Tim Riordan has him here ( by virtue of the ad on the previous post) around May 15th,1863 and leaving prior to July 3rd.
                      He probably didn't spend enough time here to take in a decent cheesesteak or wash it down with a raspberry gelati....6 weeks in 1863.
                      One of the astonishing things about Dr. Tumblety is that he was at one time or another virtually in every city of the United States as well as the fact that he visited and/or resided places in Canada, Britain and elsewhere. Considering that some people live in a certain place and never move out of it, he has to be one of the most travelled of individuals. This is one of the things that makes him such a fascinating character, whether he was or was not Jack the Ripper.

All the best

Chris
                      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

I hear ya, Chris. However, I've been all over this world (Europe 4 times), but I don't think I'll be mentioned in any books.

Here's some interesting food for thought: if Tumblety was NOT a JTR suspect, would he still be mentioned in books? To me, I doubt it.

Comment

JT:

I think his notoriety has definitely been raised by SPE & Paul Gainey. He's more noteworthy than John Buchanan, who is alleged to have been responsible for tens of thousands of bogus degrees contemporaneously of Tumblety. With Tim Riordan's book, that notoriety has only increased.

You raised a good point pardner.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The site of Tumblety's HQ in Philadelphia in 1863
                            330 Chestnut Street.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I came upon this advertisement in the Philadelphia Inquirer which demonstrates that Tumblety's merchandise was sold by retailers. I think some people out there in the civilian world may be under the impression that Tumblety, alone or with one of his hirelings, distributed his herbal remedies with no outside assistance.

This reference to Manderson's Medicine Depot is from the

Catholic Herald
                              Philadelphia
                              November 30, 1861

The advertisement in the Inquirer is from

Philadelphia Inquirer
                              August 24,1861
                              Tim Riordan mentions in Prince Of Quacks that the ad ran up to October of 1861. In an ad from September ( 28th), Manderson's states that it was the sole agent of Tumblety's merchandise.

Tumblety's digs in 1863 were 72 feet away from Manderson's front door. He being at 333 and they at 318, Chestnut.

He was comfortable in Chestnut Street, apparently.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X