Salvation Army material researched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
    The 1891 Census for the Victoria Home is available. That's the one that has James T. Sadler living there. I looked through all the records and could not find Hutch in there, though. I think there are some 400 names recorded. Charles William Mowl was the keeper. Maybe searching him can find some fruit?
    Thanks, Jerry. Did you see the photo Kattrup posted of the group of Danish Tourists outside the Home? Iím not sure he found an explicit reference to their staying at the Home, but the photo implies so. They looked very respectable - a million miles from the types you would have found in Dorset Street.

Comment

Henry Turner was there in 1888.

Comment

You can get into the VH for 1901 by searching for Harry Gatling - that old son of a gun - aged c29.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          You can get into the VH for 1901 by searching for Harry Gatling - that old son of a gun - aged c29.
          Did he have a brother named Tommy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Did he have a brother named Tommy?
            My first job was in a stockbrokers in the City and my manager was Benny Gatling.

Comment

Ah, Ben Gunn.

For 1911 do Peter Cahill, aged 58.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                Ah, Ben Gunn.

For 1911 do Peter Cahill, aged 58.
                No cheese jokes please!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlP26Hv2B8

Comment

In the new Ripperologist #164, Stephen Senise has an article about George Hutchinson's signatures.

I noticed it starts off with him mentioning him and his daughter "tracking down and viewing the Victoria Home file at the Salvation Army Heritage Centre (William Booth College) near Peckham, in November 2016."

Apparently there is some mention of it in his book Jewbaiter Jack the Ripper.

Comment

The William Booth College is in Camberwell, at the top of Dog Kennel Hill. Near Peckham but not in it...

Comment

Working...
                      X