Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hutchinson and Kelly?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hutchinson and Kelly?

    Total newbie, so I'm sorry if this is pointless.

    Is this anything? It was posted in a Facebook group I'm in, so probably nothing, but piqued my interest anyway.

    Police gazette 5th December 1881, apparently.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    The age for Kelly matches up well enough, does anyone know Hutchinson's age? Trying to dig a little deeper but my children are being a time-suck

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ellie Blume View Post
      The age for Kelly matches up well enough, does anyone know Hutchinson's age?
      Hutchinson was 22 in 1888.

      I note also that the 35 year old Hutchinson in that Police Gazette snippet doesn't appear to be connected to that Mary Kelly. Hutchinson's hearing was in Surrey and Kelly's was in Birmingham, and they were tried for separate offences. Also, they don't seem to say that his name was George... or anything else, for that matter
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

      "Suche Nullen"
      (F. Nietzsche)

      Comment


      • #4
        Do you have a link to that please Sam? I couldn't find his DOB when I looked (admittedly, very briefly) Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello Ellie

          I have no doubt whatsoever that our man was George William Topping Hutchinson, who was 22 at the time of the Miller's Court murder.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

          "Suche Nullen"
          (F. Nietzsche)

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Sam I don't know enough about that to comment, so I'll have to do some further snooping.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Hello Ellie

              I have no doubt whatsoever that our man was George William Topping Hutchinson, who was 22 at the time of the Miller's Court murder.
              Why? The family history is compelling but I get a different mental picture of the GH with Mary Kelly. For one thing, George William was said to have a trade and was seldom out of work. Mary's GH had spent all his money going to Romford looking for work and apparently spent the night on the street.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                Why? The family history is compelling...
                Toppy was of the same age-group as Mary Kelly, came from a South-East London family, can be placed in London (at least in 1891), and went on to marry a girl from Bethnal Green. The family history is interesting and, even if one doesn't believe its every detail, he's the only known George Hutchinson with a family history that connects him to the Kelly case. Finally, Toppy's signatures are an extremely close match for those on Hutchinson's witness statement - indeed, for me, they're an almost perfect match, which is why I have no doubts at all that he is our man.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                "Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi Ellie
                  George Hutchinson's age is not known as it is not given on his statement and the press did not record it either.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    Toppy was of the same age-group as Mary Kelly, came from a South-East London family, can be placed in London (at least in 1891), and went on to marry a girl from Bethnal Green. The family history is interesting and, even if one doesn't believe its every detail, he's the only known George Hutchinson with a family history that connects him to the Kelly case. Finally, Toppy's signatures are an extremely close match for those on Hutchinson's witness statement - indeed, for me, they're an almost perfect match, which is why I have no doubts at all that he is our man.
                    Thanks.
                    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      ...... Also, they don't seem to say that his name was George... or anything else, for that matter

                      Wasn't that implied by the alias?
                      "...alias George Ayres, and Hutchinson"

                      Another one of many, no doubt.
                      Regards, Jon S.
                      "
                      The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                      " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                      Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
                        Wasn't that implied by the alias?
                        "...alias George Ayres, and Hutchinson".
                        I think you're right, Jon. "Hutchinson" was probably just another alias in this case.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                        "Suche Nullen"
                        (F. Nietzsche)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Apologies if this is a dumb question and i've just missed it, but has any more been found out about Hutchinson after he faded out of the Ripper case? Last I knew, he was one of the more obscure witnesses to track down in later years.

                          Cheers,
                          Adam.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                            Apologies if this is a dumb question and i've just missed it, but has any more been found out about Hutchinson after he faded out of the Ripper case? Last I knew, he was one of the more obscure witnesses to track down in later years.

                            Cheers,
                            Adam.
                            Hi Adam
                            Several identifications have been made but not one that everyone agrees on.

                            I think there are also some men named George Hutchinson who look promising but are difficult to follow up as they didn't leave much of a trail. Pat Marshall's 1884 casual ward groom for example.

                            One I am interested in lived in the Whitechapel area but died before 1901 never marrying or placing his signature to any document.

                            In the Catholic registers for Underwood Road, the Catholic church for the parish of Spitalfields where the McCarthys, Crossighams and some other names known in the case etc had links right in to the early 1900's as mentioned in an article about donations to the collection plate, there is also a man named George Hutchinson and although he lived out of the area he has links to Spitalfields and possibly other case related characters because of his links to the church, worth further research. He was a married man living out of the area and had a trade though, IIRC.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                              I think there are also some men named George Hutchinson who look promising but are difficult to follow up as they didn't leave much of a trail.
                              George Topping Hutchinson left a trail of signatures on his marriage certificate and 1911 census return, all of which closely resemble those on the 1888 witness statement... with the single exception of the "H" on p1. Given that that one "H" is different, I've left it out of the following montage of the "meat" of his signatures from 1888 to 1911, which I've mixed up to show that they're quite hard to tell apart:

                              Utchinso.jpg

                              Leaving aside the anomalous signature on p1 of the witness statement, here are three full signatures from 1888, 1898 and 1911:

                              Hutchinsons.jpg
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                              "Suche Nullen"
                              (F. Nietzsche)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X