Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    It looks very similar to me.
    Apart from that "H" being different, I reckon it's rather neater than Toppy's or Hutch's, Debs - more practised, if you like. Besides, it would also be nice if we had another few samples of that person's sig so that we can check it for consistency over 23 years, like we can with Toppy/Hutch.
    Do we really need a connection to Romford? The witness said he'd been to Romford and that's it, he doesn't say why and we can only guess why. Casual workers often traveled from place to place looking for work. The vagrant and casual ward registers are full of people travelling between London and Essex.
    I'm looking at several factors which might not be decisive in and of themselves, but which might paint a compelling picture when taken as a whole. Potential Romford connections are one such factor, his age group is another, as are the signatures, and the family history... as told by Reg, but also revealed by the Census and electoral rolls (kudos to Ed Stow for digging out the latter).
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      There is no reason to suppose that he hadn't been working as a labourer - as had his father, a plumber's son himself, at one time. If he'd spent some time hod-carrying, road-laying or digging holes to earn a crust and had recently dropped out of employment, why should he not describe himself as an unemployed labourer? I'd imagine that, then as now, there would have been rather more work opportunities for labourers than plumbers, and Toppy had to pay his way somehow.
      He must have packed a lot in his short life, groom to labourer to plumber!

The ID has a lot going for it but after all these years discussing it I'm still not totally convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        He must have packed a lot in his short life, groom to labourer to plumber!
        Like father, like son, I guess. Besides, I daresay that most working-class men back then wouldn't have turned down the chance to earn some dosh mucking out horses or carrying bricks, before landing more steady employment.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I think the G in George is important too. There are two major ways to write G in English and IMO a person with a G-name picks one or the other. I have been Mrs. G________ and I decided at first how I would write the capital G. I do it like George H. did. Others use the other form. Either way, it is a choice and habit. In the examples of GH signatures, we never see the other version of G, as if someone else wrote it for him or there was another GH with a different style.
          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Blimey, I disappear for one day! :O interesting stuff, guys. Thanks. I wonder how similar my signature would be to other peoples' of the same name.

Comment

Thanks Debra and Sam! I had heard a story along the line somewhere that Hutchinson may have been traced to Australia later in his life, which of course piqued my interest.

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                I had heard a story along the line somewhere that Hutchinson may have been traced to Australia later in his life, which of course piqued my interest.

If that's the story I'm thinking about, it turned out to be a dead end, as the chap in question was actually a George HutchISon who was on board a ship headed to Oz at precisely the right time to rule him out as the Ripper.

Author Stephen Senise wrote a fine - and still recommended - book proposing that the emigre Hutchi(n)son was both Miller's Court witness and the Ripper, and he commendably informed us as soon as he'd discovered the evidence to the contrary.

Thread here: http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=31606&page=9
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Thanks very much for that, Sam!

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Working...
                  X