Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you make of this?

Hi all,

Found this today on Trove. It's from The Worker, Brisbane dated 20 May 1931.
    Attached Files
    Dave
    "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

That's a good find. I love these stories. There's enough accuracy there to suggest knowledge of something, but the rest is a garbled version of something - but what?

Comment

According to the mention of this suspect dying about ten years ago...that would mean the suspect died in 1921.
      I sort of doubt that "He met women of the unfortunate class by assignment..."
      To me, that means he had date/dates arranged with his subsequent victims.
      Sounds fishy to me.

Good find as usual D.J.
      To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Doesn't this sound like a garbled version of the Broadmoor suspect story? The writer is certain of what he is saying, and is rather smug about it, but is off in a number of his facts, e.g., the second murder of the night of the Double Event took place in "Bernier Street." I think this probably can be dismissed along with so many other theories. The writer knows what he had read but it strikes me that the story told is mostly fantasy as an "answer" to the case.

Chris
        Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
        Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I tend to agree with your assessment of the the letter, the 'died in an asylum' story had been around since at least 1895.

I should think the writer, on reading the original article, half remembered bits and pieces of the story and cobbled them together. It seems to show that the asylum story was more popular than the drown Doctor.

If I get time today, I will try to find the original JtR article referred to.
          Dave

Comment

It doesn't sound garbled to me

I'm pretty sure those "facts" relate to Forbes Winslow's lodger

He once described GWB as of slight build, albeit with light hair and blue eyes

The mention of the landlady, medical student, anatomy and being in a lunatic asylum all seem to relate to Forbes Winslow's speculations (IMO)

The last article mentioned would be an interesting find - where it says his "experiments" would have furthered surgical science

Comment

Hi all,
              Here's the original article from the Worker - nothing exciting I'm afraid, just a general resume.
              Attached Files
              Dave

Comment

That's Leonard Matters story which appears to have been mixed a little with LFW's

Comment

Working...
                X