Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacob Levy

Hi all

For a while now *my* suspect has been Jacob Levy and while he is not a new suspect, for me he is very underrated as one.

One question that has been asked over the years was why was Joseph Levy so reluctant to point the finger at a specific person. The obvious answer was he knew that person. While researching into his family tree I have found that Joseph Levy was indeed related to Jacob Levy, they were cousins. There fathers being brother (Hyam Levy and Joseph Levy.)

Here are a just a few known facts :-

The suspect looked like a Jew - Jacob was a Jew

He was the correct height according to witness statements - (Joseph Lawende and Joseph Levy) He was 5ft and 3" and 9st 3lb when admitted to Stone Asylum in 1890.

He was the right age - witness reports between 30 and 35 - he was 32.

He needed to know the area - He had lived in the area all his life, with family members living near some of the murder sights.

Was Jtr insane - It looks like there was a genetic illness in the family. His maternal uncle died insane and his brother committed suicide whilst of unsound mind.

According to the Evening News in Oct 1888, they state that Joseph Levy "Is absolutely obstinate and refuses to give the slightest information and he leaves one to infer that he knows something." - Jacob was family.

JTr had to be able to move around freely at night - Sarah, Jacob's wife, complained that Jacob was restless at night pacing the floor before walking the streets aimlessly at night.

The killer needed some skills with a knife - Jacob was a butcher, in fact he grew up in a family of butchers.

Jacob's mother, Caroline died in June of 1888 - the murders started a few weeks later - stressor?

Jtr had a hatred of women, or the very least prostitutes - Jacob died of syphillis.

Lady Anderson states that Jtr was sent to an asylum near Stone. - Jacob was sent to stone Asylum.

* I have put I/my but it was actually a team effort with Jimi, who as of yet is not a member of theses boards.

Tj
    If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Hey Tracy

Not to ruin any spoilers for you but in the SHerlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper game, the killer turns out to be Jacob Levy.

Comment

Hi Sickert

I know, that turned out to be a shocker!!

I haven't played the game though so I am not sure how much research they had done on Jacob Levy, I would love to know who did the research and what documents they were allowed to access!!

tj

Comment

Dear Tracy:

Nice idea for a thread. Thanks....
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Hi How

Not at all, I aim to please.

tj

Comment

Hi Tracy you have made an excellent case against Levy. I was just interested to know when you were researching him did you find any thing that went against him being the ripper?

Comment

Interestingly enough, in the Mystery Files episode on Levy (Howard, if you're still after it, pretty sure it's available through the History Channel, but as a series), it does mention Joseph Levy and his statement, but I don't remember it mentioning anything about the two of them being related. It did say that they were both butchers who worked in the same area and would have known each other through their trades, but nothing about them being family IIRC. So maybe they weren't aware of it at the time or for some reason just chose not to use it....

Anyway, he's a good and very under-rated suspect, is Jacob Levy.

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

AW:

Thanks for mentioning the availability of the program.
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
                  Hi Sickert

I know, that turned out to be a shocker!!

I haven't played the game though so I am not sure how much research they had done on Jacob Levy, I would love to know who did the research and what documents they were allowed to access!!

tj
                  Tracy,

I have the game myself and also there are videos for it on Youtube that you can watch. The video walkthrough is divided into 36 10-minute clips. I believe the last 2 or 3 (33-36) outline the basic evidence of why Levy is the Ripper. I can't remember off the top of my head what evidence they listed but I do believe it is a lot of the same stuff you already listed yourself. I suggest you check it out.

Also, the ending shows Levy "re-enacting" the murders in front of Holmes. A very, very chilling scene.

Comment

Hi String

Hi Tracy you have made an excellent case against Levy. I was just interested to know when you were researching him did you find any thing that went against him being the ripper

Boy, did you give me something to think about!
                    I am normally that busy defending my opinions, it is quite a turnabout to refute them.

I think one of the main problems is his name isn't mentioned in any of the official documents, he is of a similar description to kosminski, local, Jewish etc. Levy is a better fit for Jtr but it is Kosminski who officially gets mentioned, why?

Another problem is lack of evidence, what we have learnt we have had to do so by ourselves, no official documents are in circulation on Jacob Levy so all we have is conjecture.

Everything is so tantalising, Jimi found details of a Jacob Levy acquitted for sexual assault at the age of 16 at Clerkenwell magistrates, but that is all we can access. If it is our Jacob Levy, it shows he had priors, so we are so close but no physical evidence to back it up.

Tj

Comment

Hi Adam

it does mention Joseph Levy and his statement, but I don't remember it mentioning anything about the two of them being related. It did say that they were both butchers who worked in the same area and would have known each other through their trades, but nothing about them being family IIRC. So maybe they weren't aware of it at the time or for some reason just chose not to use it....

We have never seen the link between Joseph and Jacob mentioned before we noticed it. As you say a few people mentioned they may be related but couldn't prove it. It was only through spending months trawling through the family trees of the Levy's in the East End we noticed it. (And my God there were a lot!!)

We weren't even looking at Hyam and Joseph Levy being brothers, (these are Joseph and Jacob's fathers) we were going the hard way round trying to get Hyam's wife Frances Napthali linked with Sarah Levy, Hyam and Joseph's mother and it was staring us in the face the whole time. See, sometimes it is best being simple.

Tj

Comment

Hi Sickert

I think I may have to start saving my pennies and treat myself.

Hi Jon

The description does sound like one man Henry Cox described, 5 ft 6in with dark curly hair, and a habit of taking late night walks.

I would love to know which shop it was, he was watching it may have been Butcher's row (Sagar's man) but he is quoted as saying 'the officers allayed the suspicions of the Jewish inhabitants of the street by telling them they were factory inspectors.' so I am assuming there must have been factories nearby.

Tj

Comment

Very interesting stuff, Tracy....goes to show that some solid research can go a long way!

Also interestingly enough, saw Pat Brown (who was interviewed on the Mystery Files episode) on TV again a week or two ago....being interviewed by Larry King about prison reform.

Cheers,
                          Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Simons
                            I rule out Butchers Row as Cox states:"His place of business was in a certain street".
                            Aldgate-High Street was/is a street, which had numerous businesses. Research on George Bolam, the cow keeper, who had a business near Levy on Middlesex St. and across from Butcher's Row on AHS may be an interesting avenue of study.

Comment

Hi all

Just a quick thank you for all the replies, I will be away from the boards for a few days but there are definitely some things on here worth thinking about. Thanks.

Tj

Comment

Working...
                              X