Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Cellie:

One element of his escape that would have made ME worry in early 1888 is that he seemed to have more of his ducks in order than the rank and file lunatic.

Yes, and he managed to do it well enough to remain free for a very long time! Definitely not one of the rank and file lunatics.

I was thinking about what Stephen said. As a potential Ripper suspect, Kelly seemed to stay below the radar for some reason. Was he not named as a possible suspect because he escaped and wasn't caught, and they didn't want the public speculating on that? I also wondered if he wasn't taken seriously as a suspect, as far as we know, because the police were looking for a local man, and Kelly wasn't local enough.

Now that you mention it, the mother-in-law business was rather weird. I believe she knew he still had inheritance money and wanted to get her hands on it.

Comment

I don't understand why the press and/or the public would not be alerted to the escape of a convicted murderer from a lunatic asylum. Crazy.

Comment

I think some of the silence about Kelly's escape could have had to do with Kelly escaping execution by being declared insane. That was still kind of a new law and there could have been a public backlash about a murderer being able to run loose. It's like the modern argument we have about capital punishment in the US. Some of us argue that convicts can be locked up for life. Others argue that they could escape or get out for some other reason and that the one sure thing about capital punishment is that THAT one murderer won't murder again.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
          I think some of the silence about Kelly's escape could have had to do with Kelly escaping execution by being declared insane. That was still kind of a new law and there could have been a public backlash about a murderer being able to run loose. It's like the modern argument we have about capital punishment in the US. Some of us argue that convicts can be locked up for life. Others argue that they could escape or get out for some other reason and that the one sure thing about capital punishment is that THAT one murderer won't murder again.
          Makes sense, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X