An Inconvenient Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Inconvenient Book

I am thinking of calling my talk "An Inconvenient Book - Everything You Wanted to Know About the Diary Tests But Were Afraid to Ask".....but I am going to cheat and address some other things as well such as the Liverpool Library Miracle. (I posted this over on the Conference thread....what I would add here is that I would love to hear suggestions as to topics or questions Forum members would like to see addressed.)

Opening sentences:

"There is no man alive today that knows the identity of the author of the Maybrick Diary. And by that statement I do not mean that Melvin Harris took the secret to his grave; far from it. I believe we have a better grip today on WHERE it came from, but the HOW and the WHY of its creation remain as much a mystery as the name of the Ripper himself."

Dear Prodigal Son :

For starters, good to see you again.
    Secondly...are there any possible updates on what Keith Skinner was working on 5 years ago which can be discussed ?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
      Dear Prodigal Son :

For starters, good to see you again.
      Secondly...are there any possible updates on what Keith Skinner was working on 5 years ago which can be discussed ?
      I am going to address what I believe Mr Skinner knows. I should emphasize that neither Keith nor Caz were harmed in the creation of this talk...i.e. they have information that they cannot discuss and I certainly respect that. But a combination of reverse engineering of some public statements as well as a new piece of information that came to light in an interview I conducted in April makes me believe I have a decent idea of what is known/surmised/believed.

Of course I could be dead wrong. But I have a reasonable working theory that explains a lot.

Comment

Bob:

Thanks for this information.
        I sincerely hope someone has taken it upon themselves to tape this Convention ( Probably a done deal, but I'm just checking...)...because I'm interested in your presentation.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bob:

Thanks for this information.
          I sincerely hope someone has taken it upon themselves to tape this Convention ( Probably a done deal, but I'm just checking...)...because I'm interested in your presentation.
          I will certainly post my notes here and on the Casebook Wiki. (After I am ridden out of York on a rail.....)

Comment

I have promised myself to be good and not ask anything! Jenni
            "be just and fear not"

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Shelden View Post
              I have promised myself to be good and not ask anything! Jenni
              I welcome tough questions. Seriously. It will make for a better talk.

Comment

Do you believe that the author of the Diary is no longer with us, Robert?
                "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Do you believe that author is with us and prowls the two Message Boards ?
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                    Do you believe that the author of the Diary is no longer with us, Robert?
                    Long dead, Magpie.

FWIW, I believe the Diary and the Watch both came out of Battlecrease. The Watch is the far stickier wicket in the sense that the handwriting closely matches than of James Maybrick. Obviously, the Diary's handwriting does not, at least as far as we know. I certainly don't think it was done as a prank.

But the combination of the two leads me to believe that somebody connected Sir Jim to the Whitechapel Murders. Why we may never know. But if someone put a gun to my head and said when these objects came into existence I would say the Watch was inscribed in 1888, and the Diary sometime between 1888 and the 1920s.

Comment

Do you believe that author is with us and prowls the two Message Boards ?
                      In spirit perhaps.....

But, no, Howard. He's long dead.

Comment

I will be showing about 50 photographs taken of the Diary about 3 years ago. Here's a teaser. You'll have to come to York to see the rest.

(Photograph taken by Dr. Mark Hughes with the kind permission of Robert Smith.)

Comment

Alrighty one more.....

Comment

Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
                            Long dead, Magpie.

FWIW, I believe the Diary and the Watch both came out of Battlecrease. The Watch is the far stickier wicket in the sense that the handwriting closely matches than of James Maybrick. Obviously, the Diary's handwriting does not, at least as far as we know. I certainly don't think it was done as a prank.

But the combination of the two leads me to believe that somebody connected Sir Jim to the Whitechapel Murders. Why we may never know. But if someone put a gun to my head and said when these objects came into existence I would say the Watch was inscribed in 1888, and the Diary sometime between 1888 and the 1920s.

I'm cool with that.
                            "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                              I'm cool with that.
                              I will try to remember that as I am stoned in York. (Stoned in the Taliban sense....)

Comment

Working...
                              X