Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
    Hi All,

The case of Colin Ireland, active from March to June 1993, between the Maybrick diary's emergence and publication, very much demonstrates that the argument for Maybrick being a terrible choice for Jack for geographical reasons fell down before it was ever made.

The trains from Liverpool to London ran just as efficiently in the 1880s, and perhaps more so, than from Southend-on-Sea to London in the 1990s. Maybrick at least had legitimate reasons for going to London; not so much Ireland, who picked up all his victims from the same pub and seems to have had no other purpose for his travelling. The diary author clearly saw no problem with portraying Maybrick as a Colin Ireland type, before Colin Ireland had even begun killing, and despite Chris George's instincts that it would have been safer and far more credible to opt for a London based Jack.

One might ask, in Chris's shoes, why any hoaxer would make it so hard on themselves by picking someone who had lived so far from the crimes. But my answer would be that this one didn't give two hoots about impressing Chris George, and would have been highly gratified to see a real live example, Colin Ireland, proving the point, just a year after the diary first came to light.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Thanks, Caz. I'm certain that the hoaxer of the Diary didn't think about impressing me. I'm surprised that you still believe the Diary is the real thing when in reality it's a rather crude artifact created to put James Maybrick in the frame for having been the Ripper. There are too many strikes against it having been written by the East End killer.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

• Er, where did I say I have ever believed the diary is the 'real thing', Chris?

Read my post again, especially this:

...the argument for Maybrick being a terrible choice for Jack...

And this:

The diary author clearly saw no problem with portraying Maybrick as...

And this:

One might ask, in Chris's shoes, why any hoaxer would make it so hard on themselves by picking someone who had lived so far from the crimes. But my answer would be that this one didn't give two hoots about impressing Chris George, and would have been highly gratified to see a real live example, Colin Ireland, proving the point, just a year after the diary first came to light.

Was this a case of seeing what you expected to see, Chris, and not what I actually wrote?

Love,

Caz
      X
      I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

• I note with considerable amusement that the passing of almost a decade has not compromised the premises of the original post. The Diary's Fingerprints continue to point directly at James Maybrick being the Whitechapel killer and not a single argument has been made (nor piece of evidence produced) in the passing years (nor the twenty before it) which compromises that argument in any way. I am glad that I missed the statistical misrepresentations of 2017 - though I note they reared their ugly head, with their unaltered errors of calculation, again in another place as recently as this year. Some posters managed to overcome the easy mistakes which can be made when seeing the variables through myopic eyes, but others sadly succumbed to the horrors of misunderstanding the premises which underpin such analysis.

Fatuous 'arguments' against the authenticity of the diary continue to haunt these pages, though, I also note. For example, the fact that James Maybrick did not live in Whitechapel, London, at the time of the crimes is taken by some to be evidenced towards a hoax. The reality is that it is obviously perfectly plausible (given that he was never caught) that he abided elsewhere and simply travelled in to kill. Such 'arguments' neither move the debate forwards nor backwards however adamantine the poster may be in claiming otherwise.

Best wishes,

Tom

Comment

• The fact that this has even been a debate over all this time only highlights how gullible human beings can be.
          Best Wishes,
          Cris Malone

Comment

• Hi Cris,

To be fair, the overwhelming majority of posters who have fanned the flames of this debate over the years are among the most gullible human beings I ever encountered, given that they swallowed the various claims once made by serial liar, Mike Barrett, to have written the diary himself or to have known who did. Yet the handwriting cannot be attributed to any named individual, alive or dead.

Nobody ever seems to want to look beneath the surface and ask themselves why Mike couldn't decide on a single straight story concerning his own involvement, but instead made a series of contradictory claims which were either unsupported, unsupportable, retracted or even disproven.

While I don't see Maybrick's hand in the diary, that doesn't mean I've lost all my marbles and have to see a Barrett hand there. I have never understood why it has to be a case of either/or.

Love,

Caz
            X

I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

• I don't either Caz, when we've got the flamboyant playwright, Harry Dam to consider.

Comment

Working...
              X