Maybrick Diary/ 60 Minutes Episode Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybrick Diary/ 60 Minutes Episode Question

Anyone recall the date that the program appeared ?
    I know it was in 1992 or 1993...but thats all I recall.

Help most appreciated.

Help even more appreciated if someone has a copy of the show,
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

60 Minutes: Season 26, Episode 4
    Arms and the Women/Jack the Ripper?/Readin', Writin' and Commercials (10 Oct. 1993)

If anyone knows where this episode may be found, be sure to let me know...I appreciate it.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hello Howard

I Googled this soon after I saw this thread a few days ago before I went into a work meeting, and found the following two sites. They both appear to have it, if you trust downloading from them. For my own part, I would be reluctant to do so. I wonder if anyone else has tried to download the episode from their links?

http://vodly.in/tv-12398-60-Minutes/season-26-episode-4

http://watchseries.lt/episode/60_min...s)_s26_e4.html

Good luck, Howard.

All the best

Chris
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Thanks CG, I appreciate you taking the time to look.
        I don't trust those sites....I just wrote a letter to CBS requesting a copy of the prgoram.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Time to re-bump this mutha again.....

I can't believe this episode is so difficult to locate. One researcher told me 4 years ago that it didn't exist....but it does.

I never received word back from CBS.

Would someone else care to try ?

60 Minutes: Season 26, Episode 4
          Arms and the Women/Jack the Ripper?/Readin', Writin' and Commercials (10 Oct. 1993)
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I received an email from CBS's archivist around a month ago.

They want $500 for the rental of a MP4 copy of the program....plus another fee to examine what I intended to use it for. I had told them I was intending to write a short piece on the 1993 episode....not knowing a better way of gaining access to the 12-15 minute segment of the show.

I guess I'll let the matter drop....didn't realize the charge would be as high as it turned out to be.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I wonder why the fee is so high when so many other things are easily rented, bought and sold or free on YouTube?

Can you get a written transcript of the show for less? (I think this is the show that turned off my interest in the diary.)
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Anna:

It was actually the first program ( over here in the US, at least) that I know of that dealt with the Diary,

In case anyone thought I was bullshitting about the price :

Dear Howard,

Thank you for reaching out the CBS News Archives. The fee for use of the program for reference in your article, including quotes from the article is $500. There is a $75 fee for the screener copy of the program as well.

If you would like to move forward please fill out the attached order form. We will then begin the approval process for your project. Please note If we get initial approval to move forward there will be a second stage of approval which is a review of the completed article before publication.

Best regards,

Kevin Gippert

Account Manager, Archive Sales
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I did some research because something sounds hinky. The clip below, from our friend Chris, mentions the show.

I wonder if CBS is selling clips from the diary show and that makes it extra valuable? Maybe that is why they want to know what you want to do with it. Since a lot of it was inside Battlecrease House, maybe they have exclusive footage they don't want to end up on YouTube.

With that in mind I watched some other videos to see if there were standard clips in a number of videos. Probably, but not necessarily from the CBS show. As I recall it was more about the actual finding of the diary and interior details at Battlecrease House. (I will generally believe most anything, especially before I had internet and the ability to question everything. This was the show that caused me not to believe the story of the diary. If even I don't believe something, it is not good for the veracity of the story.)

What little I could find in a general search seems to indicate the book came out in 1992, Michael Winner in the UK did a long documentary in 1993 and then the "60 Minutes" segment also in 1993.

I know I can get different answers to questions online by asking the same thing in different ways. That technique did not get more information in this case.

There are lots of "60 Minutes" episodes available on YouTube, including segments from 1992 and 1993 but not the one in question. I could potentially have the show on tape since we taped lots of TV for later playback. The problem is I would have to run a bunch of 8 hour VCR tapes and hope it turned up. We generally did not keep shows but I saved some special programs and the show could be at the end of a tape. Or not.)

(Off topic there is an interesting video on James Kelly I had never seen before. Not "60 Minutes". I fell back asleep watching that and had a dream that I was describing every one of my cats to you. Sorry about that. I have a ranch so I can have a lot of cats without being a typical cat lady. Then I woke up and Christer's Lechmere video was playing....)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anna:

The late Philadelphia member of 60 Minutes, Ed Bradley, hosted that Maybrick episode, not Safer. You see, I saw it when it first came out but wasn't into Ripperology at the time and didn't make a VHS copy.

Palance wasn't from Philadelphia, either. He was from Lattimer, a tiny coal cracker town in northeast Pa.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                      Anna:

The late Philadelphia member of 60 Minutes, Ed Bradley, hosted that Maybrick episode, not Safer. You see, I saw it when it first came out but wasn't into Ripperology at the time and didn't make a VHS copy.

Palance wasn't from Philadelphia, either. He was from Lattimer, a tiny coal cracker town in northeast Pa.
                      I just corrected my error after re-reading Chris' post. Now I'll do a different search.

Comment

Can't even find a discussion of the show other than on forums. When I find no information on something I figure someone is restricting something. My guess is CBS got exclusive access to Battlecrease House at that time and they have something others do not, so it is worth a lot of money. I would guess they are protecting video images so it might be worthwhile to see if you can get a written transcript or even an audio only from that show. All entertainment is based on MONEY!

(Meanwhile, Bradley's interview with Michael Jackson is all over YouTube and it looks like Jackson's outfit was made out of the same material as my brocade drapes. Maybe I should cut up the drapes and sell them on e-Bay?)

Comment

PS: Is it possible your request went to the wrong department at CBS? If you do not plan to use actual video segments and if you want the show for research, it seems it could be less costly?

Comment

Anna:

Nice try, but I'm sure that it went to the only place where the episode may be accessed by the public.

Which doesn't mean that someone else couldn't try and somehow be successful where I wasn't in procuring a reasonable and less expensive copy.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                            X