X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jay Hartley
    Crime Fiction Writer
    • May 2021

Originally posted by Markus Aurelius Franzoi
    Actually I have no DNA match evidence to show Margaret's mother (Paul's 2x great grandmother) was Sarah Ann Robertson as opposed to Elizabeth King/Edges.

With Gertrude Conconi now shown not to be a Conconi, Robertson, or Maybrick, I see no reason to believe that Margaret Minetta Maybrick was a Maybrick or a Robertson.

Her baptismal record records the parents as James and Elizabeth Edges and she lived with them. Her birth certificate might show otherwise but I doubt it.

So I don't think we have to look for a link between the Edges family and the Robertsons besides the one we have between Margaret and Sarah Ann.
    Theories matter Markus. You solve problems by staying with them.

She used the name Maybrick for a reason - that is a fundamentally human action which means something. She had a reason.

I see James Jacob Edges with your DNA work and my genealogy work making a very convincing case that he was indeed her father. So was that the only scenario we should look at? Is this the only line of investigation worth following?

There are two theories I am working on of which I do not yet have proof for either of them as yet:

1) Margaret Edges gave birth to a Maybrick child who died. WINIFRED MAY EDGES born in 1902 could have been a Maybrick. Michael, Edwin or even young William Maybrick could all have been in Kensington around 1902 where she ended up giving birth.
    2) I am led to believe THOMAS WOOLSTON of HUNTINGDON was a former business associate of James Maybrick. I am told that Paul Feldman was convinced that link held the key to why Margaret carried on the name. Mark was the Maybrick and not Margaret

With these theories, I can search the records to see if I can find any missing links. If the above theories are not right, then I will think of another.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

• Markus Aurelius Franzoi
      Former Critic of Barrett
      • Nov 2016

Those theories sound more plausible than the one I thought I was left with - that Sarah Ann and Margaret teamed up to extort the Maybricks with a fake love child. That doesn’t make too much sense with James dead by the time Margaret was 8.

Comment

• Jay Hartley
        Crime Fiction Writer
        • May 2021

Here is Margaret Jane Edges Birth certificate, which legally confirms that JJ Edges and Elizabeth King were her parents, and there is the magic birthdate of 19th June 1881 that links us to the 1939 register. Margaret Minetta Maybrick was born an Edges, and her relatives' DNA is a generational match for the Edges family. This pretty much rules out the James Maybrick love child theory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1881-margaret-edges.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	597632
        JayHartley.com

Comment

• Jay Hartley
          Crime Fiction Writer
          • May 2021

During the investigations in the mid-90s, Paul Feldman found a branch of Maybrick's in Peterborough who believed they were connected to James.
          JayHartley.com

Comment

• Markus Aurelius Franzoi
            Former Critic of Barrett
            • Nov 2016

I informed Peterborough Paul and his reply was that his grandmother, whom I believe was Emily Menetta Maybrick, said she was definitely a Maybrick. So he seems to be holding on to that belief. I told him about your other Maybrick angles and he gave it thumbs-up.

I did FaceTime him and I told him he looked like a Maybrick but I could just be pulling a Feldy.

Comment

• Jay Hartley
              Crime Fiction Writer
              • May 2021

Originally posted by Markus Aurelius Franzoi
              I informed Peterborough Paul, and his reply was that his grandmother, whom I believe was Emily Menetta Maybrick, said she was definitely a Maybrick. So he seems to be holding on to that belief. I told him about your other Maybrick angles, and he gave it thumbs-up.

I did FaceTime him and I told him he looked like a Maybrick but I could just be pulling a Feldy.
              He is, of course, entitled to his own beliefs, but unless something empirical appears to contradict the evidence, then this is the best we have.
              JayHartley.com

Comment

• Jay Hartley
                Crime Fiction Writer
                • May 2021

I received the death certificate of WINIFRED MAY EDGES today and have updated my blog post to include it, but I also paste the extract below:

Winifred May's death certificate below states that on 17th November 1902, she died from 'Marasmus Convulsions' at St. Pelagia's home on Bickerton Road in Islington. It's a form of severe malnutrition. She was just five months old. The home was a Roman Catholic-run establishment for mothers of illegitimate children. They were expected to stay for 12 months, but the death of her child presumably released her from that obligation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1902-death-winifred-edges.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	663.9 KB
ID:	597685
                JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...