• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maybrick Case ( Macdougall, 1891) Online

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ul...page&q&f=false
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

I've been on the Ripper message boards for 16 years, and I think this is the first time I ever posted on a Maybrick thread.

Anyway, I've been looking over the Oct 1999 issue of the Ripperologist journal, and I came across a letter to the editor sent in by Scott Hannaford. He had just read a book entitled Victorian Murders written in 1988 by the author Roy Harley Lewis.

Scott said, "This book is an interesting read not only because it devotes a large section to JTR but also because it covers the Maybrick trial in very great detail. I wonder if anybody else has come across a book mentioning the two cases...?"

I never read Victorian Murders. Was it the first book that covered the Ripper crimes and the Maybrick trial together inside one binder?

Comment

Lewis died in 1996.

Not sure if it was the first, Joe....I believe there may have been books prior to Lewis's that covered both cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Lewis
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

My copy of Encyclopaedia of Murder by Colin Wilson and Pat Pitman is dated 1961 and it covers both cases.

Even earlier, and perhaps more significantly, Nigel Moreland's 1957 book about the Maybrick case, "This Friendless Lady", mentions the murders on page 23!
        Thanks for your time,
        dusty miller

Comment

Thanks Howard and Dusty. The 1957 book looks like the winner.

It's a delight to read the old issues of the Ripperologist journal. Especially from the late 1990s. Today I looked at an old issue that gave a full report on a Cloak & Dagger Club meeting that was held on April 10, 1999. Michael Barrett was the invited guest to the meeting and the crowd in attendance was filled with elite contributors to the field of Ripperology. I wish more photographs were taken at that meeting.

It was held at the City Darts in London, and it sounded like a special night.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
            I never read Victorian Murders. Was it the first book that covered the Ripper crimes and the Maybrick trial together inside one binder?
            Hi Joe.

This doesn't quite answer your question, but Richard Altick's book Victorian Studies in Scarlet (1970), although only dealing with the latter case in any detail, mentions both Jack the Ripper and the Maybrick trial in the same sentence.

"The case of Florence Maybrick offers, if anybody is disposed to look at it that way, a fortuitous conjunction of Jack the Ripper and Henry James. The former's association with Mrs. Maybrick is chronological: the sixth victim attributed to him by some authorities, and, as it turns out, the last according to anyone's count, was found on July 18, 1889, and her trial opened in Liverpool thirteen days later." (p. 252)

Atlick's book is widely considered a classic of the genre, but maybe it is starting to become a forgotten one.

Comment

Snippet of a review of the book Rajah mentioned :

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3825970?seq=1
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Your brain is still pretty sharp, Roger. You were able to remember a book from 50 years ago that combined the Maybrick trial and the Ripper all in one sentence. Good job. That sentence even had enough room for Henry James.

Henry lived for 72 years and he authored tons of books, letters, and plays. But around here, he is better known for being lumped together with Maybrick and the Ripper. The Jtrforums can do that to people, heh heh.

Comment

I always think of that old cartoon, with Florie Maybrick on one side [of the scales of justice?] and Jack the Ripper on t'other.

Love,

Saucy Caz
                  X
                  I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Working...
                  X