X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betsy Dyson: Suspicious Bolton Death Feb 20 1888

Betsy Dyson: Suspicious Bolton Death Feb 12, 1888

THE MYSTERIOUS POISONING CASE AT FARNWORTH

The inquest upon the body of a collier's wife, named Betsy Dyson, aged 27, of Hill-street, Farnworth, the cause of whose death, occurred on Sunday week last, is shrouded in mystery, was resumed yesterday afternoon, by Mr. Hardy, the deputy coroner. As result of the examination of the body, made by Dr. Bradley, of Farnworth, that medical gentleman was strongly convinced that death was not the result of natural causes but of poisoning, and therefore the contents the stomach were submitted to Dr. Estcourt of Manchester, for analysis. The inquiry was adjourned until yesterday. On the assembling of the jury yesterday the Deputy Coroner explained that Dr. Estcourt bad been unable to complete the analysis of the contents of the stomach, so he would therefore have to again adjourn the inquiry. He added, however, that the police had been unremitting their energies to ascertain the cause of death, and he asked them to persevere their inquiries. He thought it would only be right that chemist's shops in the neighbourhood should be visited to see whether poisons and been sold to the deceased.-—The inquiry was again adjourned.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Friday 24 February 1888

Originally posted by San Fran View Post
    I'm surprised no one has done this before but I've ordered the death certificate of Betsy Dyson.

And I've contacted the Bolton Library for local articles about the suspicious death.

Something to look forward to.
    It was thought to be a poisoning, but the pathologist couldn't identify the poison, so the coroner directed the jury to return an open verdict.

Comment

I would be interested to know if there was an autopsy and why doctors believed the death was unnatural and by poisoning. She could have had one of the many unknown, undiagnosable, untreatable diseases of the day and simply succumbed. Rheumatism, cough and then vomiting? Could she have been allergic to whatever was in the cough medicine? But like you suggest, maybe something was scraped off the fly paper and put into the bottle of cough syrup.
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Okay I've picked up the Diary book to look at the Diary text. There is usually a line between the entries when there's a gap of several weeks and this gap doesn't have one but I don't think it matters. He could have said "summer is near" at the end of February.

Shirley Harrison says it was probably around March (probably because it was "cold and wet") and James had gone to visit his brother Thomas in Moss Side, Manchester, as he writes that he is doing well.

Wouldn't he have visited on a weekend? That makes a Sunday night murder more likely, following his visit? Farnworth would have been on a direct north railway line from Moss Side and only about 15 kilometers away.

Comment

Okay, Betsy Dyson died on the 12th of February according to a March Manchester Courier article. It wasn't the 20th as I wrote in the title.

The death certificate says it was the 11th but that was a Saturday and all accounts say it was a Sunday so the certificate was off by a day, most likely.

The 20th was a Monday. Must have been trying to push the death closer to March because Shirley Harrison said it was probably March and closer to spring because the diary goes on to say summer is close.

Missed the first week of press reports, it seems. Have to go back.

Comment

The last person who I know that died in Bolton is Sam Allardyce.... Oh wait! You aren't talking about footie....!!!!

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Allardyce....Dyson....eerie....

Comment

Originally posted by San Fran View Post
                Allardyce....Dyson....eerie....
                Slicing and dicing....

Indeed!
                Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

"Conjestion of the stomach" is consistent with asphyxia. "Squeezing" death.

fetch?id=727429&d=1574038274.jpg

dysondeath.JPG betsydeath2.jpg

Comment

IMG_1215.PNG

Comment

lloyds-weather-3.png

lloyds weekly newspaper sunday 12th.GIF
                      Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper, Sunday Feb 12, 1888

Comment

A February 12 Manchester Murder should have been excluded with a c. "March 1888" move to Battlecrease where the Diary action begins. But the lease was actually taken on Feb 1 (Graham and Emmas, 1999). So I don't think it's excluded.

I also believe the house was bigger so afforded more privacy, including a private den. So he could start a secret diary.

The letter from Thomas asked for an immediate meeting. James says "I have no inclination as regards the matter he describes as most urgent. Never the less I shall endeavor to meet his request."

I doubt that he'd wait a month to go to Manchester to meet with him.

Comment

Working...
                        X