• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Joseph Barnett is the prime suspect in the Jack The Ripper murders

http://andrewkomyati.livejournal.com/627.html

http://andrewkomyati.blog.com/

50 Reasons I have come up with.

Figures another Hungarian would put together a list of fifty of something.....I've done that too !
    http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=393

Nice list, A.K. !!
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Thank you! I tried to have 100 reasons but that was a little difficult.

Comment

He in my opinion is certainly 'in the frame' for the MJK killing. It would be interesting if a connection between Barnett and Hutchinson could be found. I also believe that Hutchinson may have been in collusion with the killer. Have you considered that MJK was not a ripper victim but made to look as if it was? If that was the case Barnett would be the prime suspect.

Comment

Very nice list! I find number 9 especially interesting:

"Almost everything that is known about Mary Jane Kelly comes from Joseph Barnett!"

It's something I never noticed or thought about.

I would place Barnett very high on my list of who killed MJK. And, I would place MJK very high on my list of "not killed by the Ripper."

Comment

I think it's reasonable to believe that Barnett gave a broadly accurate account of what MJK told him about herself. MJK must have conversed with her friends - they probably knew one another's life histories. So it wouldn't make sense for Barnett to go into court and tell a pack of lies.

Comment

Barnett is so obvious, at least for the MJK murder, that it seems the police would have done everything in their power to nail him for it, but they didn't. I think there was even a suggestion that Barnett's brother was working to reunite the two. It would make a lot of sense for Barnett to rap on the door around 2:00 am, be let in and welcomed to bed.

One thing I consider about poor men who might have been Jack is that people then didn't have many clothes. Quite probably Barnett wore the same clothes every day. Were they blood stained? Would police believe any stains were fish blood? Maybe. If Barnett was invited into Mary's bed perhaps he stripped down to his under shirt.

Beyond that I would say the murderer of MJK would have had blood crusted under his fingernails and on his hands and arms. There would be far more than could be easily washed off. (I am a hunter. I know about cutting up meat in the field.) Surely police looked for things like that or checked to see if Barnett had been to the public baths.

I think someone at some time tried to make a connection between Barnett and Hutchinson and the Victoria Workingmen's Home, but Barnett was staying with his sister supposedly when MJK was killed.

Beyond that I assume the police were able to prove an alibi that proved innocence.

Other reasons Barnett could be guilty:

51) Was said Barnett's brother Daniel was an intermediary in getting Barnett & Mary back together and that Daniel and Mary had been together the evening previous.

52) Mary was in bed in her chemise or was nude when killed which is the way a woman would dress to go to bed with a lover or someone she knew.

53) If 51 above is correct, Mary might have made a move toward Barnett's brother and Joe became jealous. (Has anyone ever tried to figure out if Blotchy could have been Daniel Barnett?)

54) Of the C-5 MJK is the only one killed indoors and that indoor space was a place where Barnett knew how to gain entry at any time.

55) Mary would likely have let him in.

56) Mary may have or probably did reject him the previous evening. Barnett had a number of hours to drink and brood and decide on murder.

57) Mary was having sex with men for money but rejected her long time live-in lover who had no money. Had Barnett showed up with the price of her bed, would she have spent the night with him? If not, why not? Bet she would have.

58) The clothing burned in the fireplace could have some special meaning to Barnett. Plus the laundry which consisted mainly of men's articles could have been a source of additional jealous rage. Barnett could have assumed Mary had invited another man to stay. Or perhaps she did and the laundry tale was a fabrication, though Maria Harvey told it.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Joseph Fleming makes a better suspect.

Comment

Hi Andrew
                  Interesting list but I'm a bit dubious about #3-that his mother abandoned the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                    I think Jack the Ripper is an even better suspect for the Kelly murder. Something very shady about that guy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

In my opinion, not one of the 50 claims stands up to close scrutinity (I did not think that space should be taken up to go thru all 50) for Barnett to be the killer of Mary Jane - let alone 5 victims...
                      Some people see things as they are and ask: "Why?"
                      I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?" - Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                        Significantly better.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

59) LEANNE! says so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob McCullough View Post
                            Very nice list! I find number 9 especially interesting:

"Almost everything that is known about Mary Jane Kelly comes from Joseph Barnett!"
                            It should not be forgotten that Mrs Elizabeth Felix (formerly known as Mrs "Phoenix") provides us with a sizeable amount of information, too - independently corroborating parts of Barnett's story in many places, and adding detail where Barnett's account is deficient.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Sam: That is correct that Mrs. Felix/Phoenix adds information. What bothers me is that Mary's friends and contacts before Barnett don't seem to have information on Mary's family or early life. So I wonder if they knew what Barnett knew, backed up his information and Barnett was given the last word legally, or if acquaintances other than Barnett didn't know anything.

Sometimes I have the feeling that Mary's family wasn't unknown and un-located, but that information was protected to spare family embarrassment or other problems.
                              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                              X