Joseph Barnett's Wife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Barnett's Wife.

I thought I might have discovered something new till I discovered Chris Scott was talking about this back in 2004......
    However there is one aspect that has not been investigated.

In 1891 census in Sheppey Kent there is a Joseph Barnett right age and birth living with a Catherine Barnett and a daughter Florence Teresa aged 11 months in Sheppey Kent.
    Through Florences birth (Florence Catherine b 1890 Sheppey) I found that Catherine's maiden name was Wilson. It seems they may not have been married but lived as man and wife (I cant find marriage)

In the 1901 and 1911 census wife Catherine became Katherine then Catherine again but in both born in Canterbury or Bridge Kent (also in Canterbury) 1853 and 1852.

The one thing I wondered about was could this Catherine Wilson be Ada Wilson? I say this because I seem to recall reading that Joseph Barnett took up with a lady who was connected to the case ? Ada was attacked by a chap who was thought by some to be Jack. One could understand how Joseph might feel connected to her in some way. She was also thought to be a prostitute.

Any thoughts on this anyone ?
    Pat............

Interesting. (San Fran will be thrilled with the name Wilson so close to the action.)

I don't really have much to say except I have never had the opportunity to discuss Joe B.'s wife/wives. I thought everyone accepted that he was married to a woman named Louisa and there is a problem with dates because it looks like he was married to her before he took up with MJK. I have wondered if this is the correct Joe B. but do not have any material to offer in refutation or clarification so I stay quiet.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

His date of birth is all over the place:

1891: 1853
      1901: 1847
      1911: 1866

In 1911 the couple said they had been married since 1881, although according to Joseph’s POB he would have only been 15 at the time.

One thing that is consistent is this Joseph’s Spitalfields birth place, which is wrong for the man accepted as MJK’s Joe. He was born in Hairbrain Court, Whitechapel which is very definitely not Spitalfields.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        One thing that is consistent is this Joseph’s Spitalfields birth place, which is wrong for the man accepted as MJK’s Joe. He was born in Hairbrain Court, Whitechapel which is very definitely not Spitalfields.
        And I don't think we ever got to the bottom of Joseph's mother's maiden name given as O'Brian/Bryan/Brien, Shannahan and Hayes or whether or not there were two Joseph Barnett's born around the same time with parents Catherine and John

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....barnett+allman

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
          And I don't think we ever got to the bottom of Joseph's mother's maiden name given as O'Brian/Bryan/Brien, Shannahan and Hayes or whether or not there were two Joseph Barnett's born around the same time with parents Catherine and John

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....barnett+allman
          I don’t think we did, Debs.

Comment

As to the woman, I'm not sure how "Ada" becomes Catherine/Katherine.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

That 1866 one is so out of synch, I wondered if he'd entered his birth year by mistake, instead of his age.

Comment

I think 'Sally' and 'Miss Marple' on Casebook also found Barnett living with a woman named Emily in 1901? They were living with Isaac Hostler and his family at Old Gravel Lane.
                https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...arnett-in-1901

I wrote this in support of that identification back then -

On Aug 18 1897 Daniel Barnett age 49 , of 66 Leman St, porter, was admitted to the Whitechapel Infirmary with an injury to his ribs. He was discharged on 26th Aug 1897, in the notes it says that he has a brother, Joseph Barnett, and Joseph's address is given as 4 James Place Cannon St Rd. SGE.
                STBG/WH/123/030

From other entries for this same Daniel I know he was a fish porter specifically.

Checking 4 James Place SGE in the 1891 and 1901 census the same family is living at that address, so were there when this was given as Joseph Barnett's address in 1897;
                Thomas Hostler, variously a labourer and dock labourer, his wife Jane and their children Julia and Mary Ann (Juliah and Marianne in 1901) in both , son Thos in 1891 and a son George in 1901. The family have different lodgers in 1891 and 1901 but neither is Joseph Barnett.

The 1901 census entry posted here shows this Joseph Barnett and Emily also living with a family named Hostler; Isaac and his wife Annie and children. Checking the 1861 and 1871 census, I believe Isaac Hostler from the 1901 census and Thomas Hostler from the 1891, (1897) and 01 entries were in fact brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  As to the woman, I'm not sure how "Ada" becomes Catherine/Katherine.
                  I still quite fancy Ada Tradigan as Ada Wilson.
                  http://jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=26340

Comment

What about Joe Barnett and Louisa? I know their lives were worked out till dates of death in the 1900s. It seemed so certain, the way it was presented. It never felt right to me but without other information I had no way to ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                      What about Joe Barnett and Louisa? I know their lives were worked out till dates of death in the 1900s. It seemed so certain, the way it was presented. It never felt right to me but without other information I had no way to ask questions.
                      Anna, I think there was an idea that Louisa may also have been Emily. Not sure as it was a while back.
                      The thing about the Emily and Joseph 1901 entry is that it seems to be confirmed by the Hostler connection I mentioned in my post that I noted from the record in 2016.

Barnett and Louisa in the SGE records seems to fit with the 1911 census as Louisa is in the infirmary as married and Joseph is listed at home, alone but married. He also has entries in the SGE infirmary. Not to be confused with the Louise Rowe marriage which was a red herring and proven to be wrong a while ago. No marriage has been found as yet as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        Anna, I think there was an idea that Louisa may also have been Emily. Not sure as it was a while back.
                        The thing about the Emily and Joseph 1901 entry is that it seems to be confirmed by the Hostler connection I mentioned in my post that I noted from the record in 2016.

Barnett and Louisa in the SGE records seems to fit with the 1911 census as Louisa is in the infirmary as married and Joseph is listed at home, alone but married. He also has entries in the SGE infirmary. Not to be confused with the Louise Rowe marriage which was a red herring and proven to be wrong a while ago. No marriage has been found as yet as far as I know.
                        Thank you!

So maybe a direction for research would be Emily Louisa, Emily Lizzie, Louisa Emily, etc.?

Comment

And as Catherine/Katherine Wilson/Barnett consistently stated Canterbury being her place of birth you would think I could find her birth, but no I cant grrrr
                          Pat.....

Comment

Working...
                          X