Letters to Grande in prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    Did James Hall have any legal experience? In 1891 he was a tailor's clerk.

Are you sure that wasn't tailer's clerk?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Did James Hall have any legal experience? In 1891 he was a tailor's clerk.
      Hi Robert,
      Hall was never involved as a legal clerk as far as I know. I've always got the impression he was a simple man, quite naive and vulnerable despite being in his 40's when he met Grande.
      I was reading the passage as though Grande wasn't referring specifically to just those involved in the legal side of his trial and sentencing but continued with his rants that almost everyone involved in it, giving evidence as well, had stitched him up, but that idea might be wrong.
      He was particularly annoyed about Hall giving evidence against him in connection with the letter writing (with Sgt James encouragement) as I recall and he certainly held a grudge against James so I took it he was still blaming everyone in his appeals to the Danish consul.
      Like Kattrup mentioned earlier, it is difficult with some things to weigh up what was being said by Grande and having his letters for comparison would probably set us straight.

Comment

Hi Debs

Yes, I think Hall was exactly what Grande wanted - someone who was not the sharpest knife in the box (despite coming from Sheffield) and who would have reason to feel gratitude towards him, having been in a bad way before Grande took him on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Are you sure that wasn't tailer's clerk?
          Ba-dum tss

Good one

Comment

I never posted photos of these, my apologies.

Letter 1:
            Sir,
            Per receipt of your letter of 24th inst, I hardly see what I can do for you, as you appear to have been sentenced in the normal way, and four years having lapsed since your conviction a new trial would now scarcely be granted. In the other hand a pardon cannot be expected until a much longer part of the twenty years has passed.
            If, however, you will give me all the particulars of your case, where and when the trial took place, the name of the solicitor who acted for you, and the nature of the accusations against you I shall see if I can do anything in the matter.
            It cannot be correct that you were sentenced to 20 years hard lab [labour] for writing a threatening letter, there must have been something far more serious than that, and if I shall take any steps in your favor I must know the whole truth.
            You say you are a Danish subject, but your name is not a Danish one. Please therefore to let me know whether it is the real or an assumed one, and in the former case what is your real name, where are you born and have you any relatives left in Denmark.
            If commissioner Anderson is the administrator of your property you might ask him whether part of the £60. you say you have got in his hands, can be used for your defence.
            The Consulate requires no fees, but legal expenses must of course be paid.

E. A. Delcomyn
            Attached Files

Comment

Letter 2:
              March 6th 96

Sir!
              I duly received your letter of 22nd ulto and have perused its contents.
              It is a very complicated statement, parts of it appear rather improbable, and I am afraid that nothing can be done in the matter at present. The Home secretary cannot upset a judgement given by a proper tribunal. In rare cases where new facts have come to light after the judgement, a fresh trial … [? word illegible] ordered, but this is rarely done, and in your case, as far as I can see, no new acts have come to light.
              Your statement is based upon accusations against a great number of people, not only private persons, but your own clerk, several solicitors and the police. I need hardly say that [most p]eople will consider such a string of conspiracies, without adequate motive, as very improbable, and the case having been tried by one of our most eminent judges, I fear that an application to the Home Secretary for a new trial will be utterly useless.
              That the sentence is an extremely severe one I fully admit and an application to the Home Secretary later on for a reduction of your term may be desired but you have not been long enough in prison to make such an application at present of the slightest use.
              I will confer with the Danish Minister, Kammerherre de Bille, about you but he will probably be of the same opinion as I am, that it is too soon to take any steps [in] your favor.
              I can of course lay the whole case before a respectable solicitor or even before a [Relevant coroner ?….some words missing] and if any steps are to be taken to your sentence, or to ascertain the truth, it will be expensive.
              If the money in the hands of the police can be applied for this purpose, and you wish to have it done, I am willing to undertake it, but I would deceive you if I said that there can be much hope of a good result.

E. A. Delcomyn.
              Attached Files

Comment

Letter 3:
                March 12th 96
                Sir!
                Referring to my letter of 5th inst I have done as promised, conferred with the Danish [? word illegible] Minister, Kammerherre de Bille, about you and have asked him to read your statement. This he has done and has also seen the report of the case in the papers, after which he has conferred with the Home Secretary and the Lord Chancellor both of whom appeared well acquainted with the case. As I expected there is nothing to be done at the present moment, nobody believes that you have been unjustly condemned, and it is too soon to expect a [? word illegible]. It is the custom, when 5 and 10 years have passed, that the case of […words missing] prisoners is put before the Home Secretary and with good conduct in the prison there may then be a chance of release, but before these times no modifications are made.
                To see a solicitor about it will, I fear, be only waste of money as there are no new facts brought to light which can justify a fresh trial.
                E.A. Delcomyn
                Attached Files

Comment

Letter 4: 24 June 97
                  To
                  DR 751 C. Grande
                  Parkhurst Prison
                  Isle of Wight

I am directed by the Consul General Delcomyn to acknowledge the receipt of your letters dated April 21 and june 21 and in reply to refer you to his letter dated March 12. 1896 in which you are informed that the Danish Minister M de Bille had put your case before the Home Secretary and the Lord Chancellor, who did however not believe that you were unjustly sentenced and who declared that there was not sufficient reason to justify a fresh trial.This Consulat-General is therefore, I regret to say, unable to do anything more in the matter.

Julius Clan

Vice Consul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X