Pizer at Crossingham's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizer at Crossingham's?

Pizer stated that he stayed at a common lodging house in Holloway Rd. called the 'Round House' on Thursday August 30th. Some books and newspapers also call this lodging house 'Crossman's'.
    I was looking through some Pizer related newspaper reports yesterday and noticed for the first time that the majority of newspapers didn't actually report that Pizer stayed at Crossman's, but instead they state 'Crossingham's' in Hollway Road.
    Thinking it was probably a mistake and checking with other researchers who also thought it probably was,I was surprised to come across a man named Albert Crossingham living at 185 Holloway Rd in 1888 in electoral registers. Checking the 1891 census Albert Crossingham is living at 160 Holloway Rd and gives his occupation as 'lodging house keeper.'
    I've looked at the genealogy of both Albert Crossingham of Holloway Rd and William Crossingham of Dorset St and they were in fact cousins.

A mistake and a coincidence?..

Timothy Donovan who was deputy at Crossingham's in Dorset Street claimed to have known 'Leather Apron' and said he had previously thrown him out of the lodging house.

Very nice work Debs.

Comment

Thanks Rob.I was going to save it for my TD article but thought I should test it out on here first seeing as no one has ever mentioned it before and you know what me and geography are.

Here's one example of the reports I'm talking about:

The Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (West Yorkshire, England), Thursday, September 13, 1888

Comment

Hi Debs

That's very astute. There must be some connection but not sure quite what it means,

Comment

I need to correct something in my original post.
          In 1888 Albert Crossingham is listed at 185 Holloway Rd.
          In 1891 Albert Crossingham is at 160 St James Rd Lower Holloway Islington with just his family-described as a lodging house keeper.

Comment

Hi Debs,

I think you should have saved it for your article. I wonder if there is more of a connection between Piser and the Crossinghams then meets the eye.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
              Hi Debs

That's very astute. There must be some connection but not sure quite what it means,
              Thanks, Robert. Not sure what it means either yet...if anything.
              My interest was mainly with Timothy Donovan's connection to Crossingham's and him claiming Leather Apron was well known to him and that he even had him removed from the lodging house the year before for attacking a woman there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Hi Debs,

I think you should have saved it for your article. I wonder if there is more of a connection between Piser and the Crossinghams then meets the eye.

Rob
                Yes, I probably should have but I thought may as well put the research up for scrutiny here first rather than someone repeat it all after I'd only summarised it in an article.

I wonder the same, Rob.

Comment

There's a danger in not discussing things first as you can convince yourself of things - that is evident in Tom's book I fear.

This is indeed an interesting development.
                  Pizer made a point of denying he had ever stayed in Dorset Street, clearly in reaction to Donovan's account.
                  I think Pizer was lying to put distance between himself and the unattractive characteristics associated with Leather Apron.
                  He also claimed to have stayed in posher 'chambers' rather than common lodging houses.
                  I would be interesting to see what sort of lodging house this was via the census, possibly Booth and possibly local news reports.
                  Also establishing what sort of place he supposedly stayed in Peter Street, Westminster would be interesting.

I think to confirm that he stayed at a Crossinghams lodging house, the register needs to be consulted.

But on the face if it this is extra evidence that Pizer was indeed that pervy Leather Apron.

Comment

Ed, I've been trying to locate the address in the 1891. Either I'm getting old or the recent "improvements" in Ancestry and Find My Past have proved too much for me so far.

Comment

Ed, I've been trying to locate the address in the 1891. Either I'm getting old or the recent "improvements" in Ancestry and Find My Past have proved too much for me so far.
                      I wrote a complaint email to FMP after they altered the address search facility.

Comment

Did you get two months free added to your sub? You should.

Comment

If I have the location right, in 1894 the area of Holloway Road where 185 was located was just an empty space. So it's possible that between 1888 and 1891, 185 Holloway Road was demolished and that is why Albert is at a different location in 1891?

Rob

Comment

Did you get two months free added to your sub? You should.
                            They haven't replied yet, Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              If I have the location right, in 1894 the area of Holloway Road where 185 was located was just an empty space. So it's possible that between 1888 and 1891, 185 Holloway Road was demolished and that is why Albert is at a different location in 1891?

Rob
                              That would make sense. Thanks Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X