Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probate on Druitt's will

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Probate on Druitt's will

    I thought this might be of interest


  • #2
    Here is the probate of his brother William in 1909 - just under £20000
    What would that be worth today?

    Comment


    • #3
      And this gives the value of the estate of MJD's mother:

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you Chris, for those records.
        Last seen on December 3rd ? Wonder how they gathered that?
        Of course his tombstone reads December 4, so it may have just been an assumption that he was seen on the day before... or the December 4th death date, as many presume, was an assumption as well... or was it really accurate because he was seen on December 3rd?
        Food for thought.
        Best Wishes,
        Cris Malone
        ______________________________________________
        "Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."

        Comment


        • #5
          Dear Chris:

          I set out to try and determine what £ 20,000 would be in modern British money...and in Yankee dollar...but for some reason I had trouble.
          If anyone can deduce what the currency figures in Chris's posts represent,please do so.

          Very nice finds,Senor...as always.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

          Comment


          • #6
            £20,000 in 1891 would have the same purchasing power as £1,600,000 today

            ($2,500,000 US)

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Nemo...thats appreciated.

              So its safe to say the guy could pay the rent...thats a lotta popcorn.
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact [email protected]

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Chris,

                The date of Druit's death will probably never be known exactly, but I prefer the 3rd of December as it is stated in the National Probate Calendars because this is an official court document. I believe it probable that the date would have come from the death certificate which would have been written after the inquest.

                As you may know, none of Doctor Diplock's inquest papers have survived and the newspaper reports are somewhat vague, so last seen alive on 3rd of December most likely comes from the evidence heard at the inquest.

                Surprisingly Monty did not leave a will and died intestate, which is why letters of administration were granted, more curious is the fact that his brother waites until their mother died before eventually clearing up Monty's affairs.

                Rgds
                John

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank you John.
                  That makes sense.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Cris Malone
                  ______________________________________________
                  "Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    And this gives the value of the estate of MJD's mother:

                    Chris, could you tell me which newspaper this was taken from, publication date, etc, in case I want to use it as a footnote, please?

                    Also, do we know if any of Montie's ancestors are alive today?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Allison Smith View Post
                      Chris, could you tell me which newspaper this was taken from, publication date, etc, in case I want to use it as a footnote, please?

                      Also, do we know if any of Montie's ancestors are alive today?
                      Hi Allison,
                      Sadly, Chris Scott died a few years back. He was an excellent researcher and is very much missed. His source was not a newspaper but the probate records. You can find them on Ancestry. As far as I am aware, there are descendants of Montague Druitt alive today. You mention a footnote, what are you writing?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi Allison,

                        I believe that Montie's siblings Georgiana, Edward, Arthur and Edith all have living descendants. William died unmarried and Ethel married in her mid-forties, so no descendants from either of them.

                        I believe Edith's daughter, Gwendolen, was interviewed by Farson in the early 1970s and the information she could give him was recorded in his book Jack the Ripper (1972).

                        Other Druitt descendants from William Druitt's brothers Robert and James were interviewed at the time Montie's identity was made public but, once again, they were able to offer very little insight on why he became a Ripper suspect.

                        Hope that helps!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi Allison

                          There is a firm of solicitors called "Druitts" still practicing today in Bournemouth, whom if memory serves me correctly are descended from William Druitts practice.

                          https://www.druitts.co.uk/about-us/

                          Rgds
                          John

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                            Hi Allison

                            There is a firm of solicitors called "Druitts" still practicing today in Bournemouth, whom if memory serves me correctly are descended from William Druitts practice.

                            https://www.druitts.co.uk/about-us/

                            Rgds
                            John
                            HOLY MOLY!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Joanna View Post
                              Hi Allison,

                              I believe that Montie's siblings Georgiana, Edward, Arthur and Edith all have living descendants. William died unmarried and Ethel married in her mid-forties, so no descendants from either of them.

                              I believe Edith's daughter, Gwendolen, was interviewed by Farson in the early 1970s and the information she could give him was recorded in his book Jack the Ripper (1972).

                              Other Druitt descendants from William Druitt's brothers Robert and James were interviewed at the time Montie's identity was made public but, once again, they were able to offer very little insight on why he became a Ripper suspect.

                              Hope that helps!
                              It really does, actually. I just my copy of Farson's book from Amazon! Thanks!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X