Druitt family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt family

I have no idea if this has been posted before or not, so, apologies if it is well known, but a post about the Druitt family on Casebook reminded me about this book on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/stream/b24883815...john+druitt%22

There's no photograph of Montie but there are photographs of his father William, Uncle James and his wife Matilda (subject of the Casebook mentioned family group photograph) and a detailed genealogy of the Druitts and associated families.

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    I have no idea if this has been posted before or not, so, apologies if it is well known, but a post about the Druitt family on Casebook reminded me about this book on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/stream/b24883815...john+druitt%22

There's no photograph of Montie but there are photographs of his father William, Uncle James and his wife Matilda (subject of the Casebook mentioned family group photograph) and a detailed genealogy of the Druitts and associated families.

Thanks for that, Debs. I've certainly never seen it before.

I bet there's not such a useful resource for the Sullivan's, McCarthies et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      Thanks for that, Debs. I've certainly never seen it before.

I bet there's not such a useful resource for the Sullivan's, McCarthies et al.
      Thanks, Gary.
      If only!

Comment

Nice find, Debs !
        Xxxxx
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

The photographs on this thread are of Montie's uncle James and his wife Matilda and in the book there is a photograph of Montie's father, William.

Comment

Whoops !

Thanks for the correction, Debs....
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Whoops !

Thanks for the correction, Debs....
              I'm hoping I've got it right, How.

Comment

Looks like you had it right Debs....I saw the word 'father' and there's where I goofed.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Debs,

This is certainly new to me.

One little coincidence I noticed regarding Alan Druitt, also of Christchurch, who was co author of "The Assessment and Rating Manual", London 1901.

Monty's last known case was an appearance in the High Court were he dealt with an appeal on a rating case, which he won.

Rgds
                  John

Comment

nice

Hello Debs. Nice find.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

I had a couple of photographs of Lionel Druitt (Montague's cousin) published in issue #8 of Casebook Examiner some years ago. I won't post them here again as they aren't mine, they were lent to me. He of course emigrated to Australia and was living and practising as a doctor in Victoria at the time of the Ripper murders.

There's a number of files relating to the family, including correspondence, at he archives of West Sussex.

Cheers,
                      Adam.

Comment

Adam:

You had me flippin' like a flag on a pole when you said your article in Examiner # 8.

There was no issue number 8.

Your article was in number 6.

By the way....there aren't any photos of Lionel Druitt in the issue.
                        See for yourself, buddy
                        www.rippercast.com/mp3/EXAMINER%20Issue%206.pdf

Cheers
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hey How,

My apologies, the article was in #6. Don Souden and the editors had neglected to include some of the images I sent with the article in issue #6. After pointing this out, they then published them in the following issue, so that would be #7. I have the original copies on a USB somewhere around here....

Cheers,
                          Adam.

Comment

Yes or No!

I have one question, a simple and direct question, and I would like to read a clear and simple answer to this:

- Did Druitt's family suspect him of being Jack the Ripper ?!

Yes or No ?!

Thank you, Tammy.

Comment

Yes they did

Yes they did. Otherwise the idea of M. J. Druitt as the Whitechapel murderer would never have gained currency - because the young and successful barrister had killed himself too early to be the fiend (e.g. December 1888, the murders lasted, albeit with decreased frequency and savagery, until Feb 1891).

Even better specific family members not just suspected, they "believed" their Montague was the "The Ripper" - even after other women were murdered in Whitechapel and the press and police thought this was by the same killer.

The difference between the Druitts and other families, who also had this extraordinary - and socially ruinous - notion about one of their members, is that this belief was shared by non-family members, in fact by people who had a bias towards the solution not being true.

This is according to sources by the family and by others about the family: including a police chief, a member of parliament, a famous writer and an Anglican clergyman (two priests in fact).

Comment

Working...
                              X