Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof of Innocence?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm still puzzling over why someone would travel the 12 miles from Blandford to Canford via London.

    Comment


    • If Druitt was the killer, I think it would be very consistent of him to be a commuter killer as opposed to a marauder. He always opt for the less likely thing:

      A homosexual killer typically chooses victims from his own gender. If Druitt, as I very much suspect, was homosexual, then he opted for being an exception to the rule.

      A sexual serial killer is very unlikely to kill himself. So Druitt opted for being an exception to the rule in this respect too.

      Marauder killers are vastly more common than commuter killers. And guess what? Druitt as the killer is an exception to that rule too. As always!

      Is there any detail where he actually corresponded with the rule instead of the exception?

      I really, really dont think he is a good suspect in any possible way. Maybe an "exceptional" one, though ...
      "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

        It is very interesting, R. J.

        I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion in your last paragraph though. ‘Everybody’ is assuming the best - that the cricket schedule lets Druitt off the hook - really?
        I interpreted Ed Stow's initial post as nearly gloating, and one former Druittist even dropped by to tear up her membership card, cheered on by Simon. Others were more measured, stating how "unlikely" it was that Druitt would have made an overnighter to London. I did note, Gary, that you were far more circumspect.

        Anyways, maybe it IS unlikely, but if a suspect is gaining his alibi in Blandford, which might well be where the suspicions against him originated (via the Farquharsons) then I think I can spot a potential crack in the alibi.

        And I'm not really a Druittist, just an interested observer. Who would imagine that Druitt would gain a potential alibi in the very locale associated with the MP who was spreading the story of the "surgeon's son"?

        Comment


        • Here's a 1902 map showing Blandford. The Recreational Ground where the cricket match was played is circled in red. The Farquharson ancestral homes were in Langton Long--in the yellow patch, about 1.1 miles away.


          Click image for larger version  Name:	Langton Long Blandford.jpg Views:	11 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	588315

          I should point out that some have disputed whether Henry Farquharson's suspect was M. J. Druitt. Farquharson's property was about five or six miles north of this map.

          Comment


          • I have found a press notice of a cricket match between two amateur teams which took place at the recreation ground in September, 1888 with a start time of 1.30.

            We could look for more, but at the end of the day unless we can determine when the 30th August match finished, it won’t prove anything.

            Comment


            • The Druitts lived at Westfield House, Wimborne Minster, which is 2 miles from Canfield, so it makes sense if Monty stopped at home between his two cricket matches.

              Comment


              • It was a dark and stormy night.


                I found what I was looking for--mention of local weather. August 30th was described as "very unfavorable weather." This was in Durweston, 2.7 miles to the north of Blandford Forum. Still, nothing conclusive, of course.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Durweston.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	588321


                Click image for larger version

Name:	Durweston Map.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	588322


                Comment


                • Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  The Druitts lived at Westfield House, Wimborne Minster, which is 2 miles from Canfield, so it makes sense if Monty stopped at home between his two cricket matches.
                  It makes a world of sense. What it does not make is proof, sadly.
                  "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Steve Blomer View Post
                    Here is johns FB post


                    I don't think Druitt was JtR, however, as has been discussed, whether it would have been feasible for him to travel back to London in time would, to a certain extent, depend on the timings of the cricket match. Here's an article I about the early years of cricket in the late nineteenth century: http://www.hinckleypastpresent.org/batsofwillow03.html The relevant quote is: "In those days there were no fixed number of overs, rather the game had a set length of play, usually from 2.30 in the afternoon until 7.30 at night."
                    Thanks very much for reposting this.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                      It was a dark and stormy night.


                      I found what I was looking for--mention of local weather. August 30th was described as "very unfavorable weather." This was in Durweston, 2.7 miles to the north of Blandford Forum. Still, nothing conclusive, of course.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Durweston.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	588321


                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Durweston Map.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	588322

                      Excellent research, both on this and the Farquharsons.

                      Comment


                      • Hi Christer,

                        You're right; it does make a world of sense, unlike the frankly barmy notion that Druitt suddenly took it upon himself to pop up to London, murder a prostitute and get back to Canford in time for the next day's cricket match.

                        Hope you're well.

                        Regards,

                        Simon

                        Comment


                        • serial killers who commit suicide is extremely rare. serial killers who commit suicide before they are busted is rarer still. i dont think ive heard of any serial killer who took his own life before being caught.
                          i think there was some dude in florida that killed a couple people then killed his wife and stepdaughter in his house, then hung himself in the house, but he was sure to be caught.
                          if druitt was the ripper, he was an extremely rare exception to the rule.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                            I have found a press notice of a cricket match between two amateur teams which took place at the recreation ground in September, 1888 with a start time of 1.30.

                            We could look for more, but at the end of the day unless we can determine when the 30th August match finished, it won’t prove anything.
                            a thought Gary, the september start time of 1.30 was not on a sunday was it.
                            it might be expected sunday games would not start until church was over.

                            As you say its end time that counts and even one of 6 or somewhat later would not preclude travel.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Steve Blomer View Post

                              a thought Gary, the september start time of 1.30 was not on a sunday was it.
                              it might be expected sunday games would not start until church was over.

                              As you say its end time that counts and even one of 6 or somewhat later would not preclude travel.
                              I think the day of the week will matter. And I suppose Saturday, or at least part of Saturday, would still have been a working day for many people.

                              Comment


                              • The really big question in all of this is not whether Druitt stayed in Wiltshire between cricket matches or took a day excursion to London in order to kill a prostitute, but whether Macnaghten was telling the truth.

                                We know Macnaghten lied about Ostrog, so why would he not also lie about Druitt and Kosminski?


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X