X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Stow
    replied
    RJ Palmer
    Did Druitt come go to Bournemouth for the night from London… or Wimborne? Do you know?
    Oh I see Christer also spotted that one.
    By the way in Michaelmas Term (I shudder to use that expression) half term is usually the last week of October… which is when …

And its about half a mile from the Rec to the Corn Exchange – not six miles – unless you took the scenic route

If the band had previously marched to the Rec at 7pm and the local volunteers engaged in manoeuvers at 7pm – then that suggests that 7pm was the accepted time for the Rec to be clear of cricket. Which implies the matches were always scheduled to end at some time not long before 7pm each Thursday. That time being the latest time a match could go on to. Obviously a very low scoring match would end earlier. If the matches were scheduled to end at say 6pm, then surely the band or volunteers would turn up at say 6.30pm. Isn’t that the obvious logic?

Mrs Brown
    Actually you have a point. Had it been ‘discovered’ that Montague had traversed up to the big smoke to hook up with a chum – at say – Wilson’s place in Chiswick for example, then it wouldn’t be too surprising.
    It is fair to presume that he was familiar with that establishment and had engaged in such activities before. But rushing off on a non-promise of finding a ‘rough sleeper’ at the far eastern reaches of Whitechapel, an area with which we can only presume he was unfamiliar? That is a somewhat different proposition.

… and the evidence supporting the suggestion that Druitt was Gay has been listed countless times so I am more than a little bemused at repeated claims that there is no evidence to support the suggestion that he was Gay. On the other hand there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest Druitt wasn’t Gay! Not a shred!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Banks
    replied
    Originally posted by Christer Holmgren View Post
    not Druitt. Exception 4.

Many serial killers come from broken homes and troubled backgrounds, but Druitt seems to have had a very good childhood. Exception 5.
    Firstly, how many is ‘many?’

Secondly, how do you know that Druitt wasn’t abused as a child just because it wasn’t mentioned? Victorians were hardly known for their openness about these things.

So you’ve made 5 points, 3 of which are made simply to try and discredit. On it goes. Why the need?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Banks
    replied
    I

Most vacationers who absent themselves from the hustle and bustle of the city, opting for the countryside, stay in the countryside until it is time to go back. But not Druitt. Exception 4.
    Ridiculous.

Could you enlighten us as to the basis of your research on the habits of countryside holidaymakers who might have some kind of appointment during that period?

Or is this another invention (like ‘the gap?’)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Banks
    replied
    I think that it is fair to speak of Druitt as a truly "exceptional" suspect.

He seems to have been homosexual, by the looks of things - but he opted for female victims. Exception 1.
    Invention 1, I think you mean. There’s no evidence that Druitt was gay.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

I'm not sure I follow. What am I missing?

The town band and other festivities were at the Corn Exchange, about .6 miles away from the Recreation Grounds. Wouldn't that mean the match would be expected to finish up earlier, not later, so people could have a meal and make their way across town?

Rather pathetically, my Druitt obsession has left me studying the local Blandford political scene for the past few days.

Ed Stowe's account of the Blandford band performing on Thursday nights on the Recreation Ground (Post 297) dates to May 1888.

But these musical events appear to have been suspended; a local correspondent complains about it on June 23rd. Apparently, the crowd dancing after 8 pm was frowned upon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	23 June 1888.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	588862

With the cricket ground now free on Thursday evenings in June, there is an account of the cricket pitch used for military maneuvers, which might suggest they knew the match would have been long over. There was definitely a cricket game played on the grounds this same day.

I saw an account of Adjutant Law marching his men to the field at 7 pm on another night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjutant Law.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	588863

The arrival of the band was said to have augmented the cricket crowd.

How big was the ground? There was a sloping area which was used for football matches. I doubt that was also the cricket pitch. Perhaps the army manoeuvres were conducted in a different part of the ground.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X