No announcement yet.

Proof of Innocence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s a fair point of course Chris. I’ve never been any good at working out probabilities.
    Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
      A great approach. A suspect can be placed away from the murder scene the day before and the day after the murder in an era of train travel. Remind me to pantic if you’re ever on a jury at my trial Tammy.

Stay on topic, you are not allowed to judge me, you are a mere poster, you understand?! I don't care if you would panic or not, you mean nothing to me except a poster on a forum.

I regret every second I thought of Druitt as a good suspect after this find.

Tammy

Comment

Hi Joanna,

Well done. Often what we're hoping [or not] to find is right under our nose.

Ignore all the trainspotters.

RIP M.J. Druitt.

That's two of Macnaghten's 'more likely' suspects out of the running.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
          A great approach. A suspect can be placed away from the murder scene the day before and the day after the murder in an era of train travel. Remind me to pantic if you’re ever on a jury at my trial Tammy.

Originally posted by Tammy Green View Post
          Stay on topic, you are not allowed to judge me, you are a mere poster, you understand?! I don't care if you would panic or not, you mean nothing to me except a poster on a forum.
          I regret every second I thought of Druitt as a good suspect after this find.
          Tammy
          Let's try to discuss this without getting personal. Everyone is going to have a different opinion.

Comment

I’ve said it before but what is it about the subject of Druitt that gets people so hot under the collar? What is it that makes 3 people consider this as proof of Druitt’s innocence? He absolutely might have been innocent of course but even posters who feel that this weakens his candidature (like Chris) accept the very obvious fact that this discovery doesn’t by any means eliminate him. I genuinely can’t understand how anyone can construe this as such. It’s in black and white and as clear as can be. To be honest I wish that someone would find proof that he couldn’t have been the ripper.

So I think that I’ll walk away from this one. Hats of to Chris and Gary and Roger for taking a fair minded approach
            Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi Joanna,

Well done. Often what we're hoping [or not] to find is right under our nose.

Ignore all the trainspotters.

RIP M.J. Druitt.

That's two of Macnaghten's 'more likely' suspects out of the running.

Regards,

Simon
              Rather a trainspotter than a conspiracy theorist Simon - if we’re in name calling mode.
              Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

I have had a longish exchange with David Andersen on another forum, and since it involved a few parameters that have not been mentioned here, I don´t mind reiterating them.

First of all, I agree with the conclusion that as long as we do not have the complete timings involved in this affair, the possibility remains that druitt left Dorset for London to kill Polly Nichols only to then immediately return back there. It is not yet proven impossible and unlikely to be proven impossible - but I also agree with those who say it is unlikely that he did so.

Regardless of this, Druitt comes with two more complications that I discussed with David A. The first one is his unproven but very likely status as a homosexual man. If he was, and there are ample pointers in the direction, then we know that gay killers are unlikely to kill women. They typically prey on men.

The second matter is that sexual serial killers are quite unlikely to kill themselves out of shame over what that have done. David A provided statistics saying that around 6 per cent of all serial killers commit suicide, but those statistics of course come with some problems:
                A/ They are statistics of all serial killers, not only sexual predators, and
                B/ I suspect that many of the ones that killed themselves do so on account of getting caught and incarcerated for life - that prospect may well be the true driving force, instead of any shame of that they have done. Around nine out of ten sexual serial killers are more or less psychopathic and most of them have narcissistic traits. That is a combination that does not make them inclined to do away with themselves - on the contrary - I know of no sexual serial killer of this type who has committed suicide while uncaught and undetected, the way Druitt would have been.

Andersen was of the meaning that there could be exceptions to both of these rules: homosexual men could kill women and sexual serial killers could kill themselves. However, when shaping a suspect theory, I don´t think we should choose those who are exceptions to rules over those who follow them!

All in all, what I see in Druitt is a man who is in every instance more likely to be innocent than guilty. What remains is MacNaghtens words about how he believed that relatives of Monty thought that he may have been the killer. But those were relatives who lived in an era when psychopathic sexual serial killers was a totally unchartered field. Moreover, they lived in an era when people thought that the more horrific the crime committed, the likelier it was that the perpetrator would kill himself out of shame.
                Can anybody see Gary Ridgway, Dennis Rader, Richard Cottingham, Joseph De Angelo, Ted Bundy et consortes cave in and drown themselves over what they had done? I know I can´t. And so I am left with every single piece of knowledge we have about Montague John Druitt pointing straight (excuse the pun) away from him as a useful suspect.

Kudos to those who have researched him, though; every piece of information we get about the people of the era is in some way useful and of interest. But that´s as far as it goes for me, I think we have enough to rule Druitt out.
                "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Who's name-calling? I was referring to all the Bradshaw aficionados who suddenly emerged onto the scene.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

I’d say that every single suspect mentioned in the case is more likely to have been innocent than guilty. Also, I don’t see a single sign suggesting that Druitt was gay unless we conclude that every unmarried man was likely to have been gay?

You suggest Fish that the small percentage of serial killers that commit suicide probably did so because of fear of apprehension and incarceration. This might be the case but I don’t think that it can be stated as a fact and we also have to consider that Druitt might have felt that an arrest was close. If he confessed to a family member for example he may have believed that they would go to the police? Also, in the suicide note he compared himself with his mother. This could be read as being about his mental condition alone of course but it could indicate a fear of incarceration in an asylum. Isn’t it possible that someone with an unbalanced mind might have preferred death to a lifetime in an asylum?

Nowhere near enough to rule our Druitt imo. And this isn’t coming from a man who believes that he was definitely the killer. I just think that over the years he’s been to easily dismissed and imo nothing has changed.
                    Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      Hi Michael,

Who's name-calling? I was referring to all the Bradshaw aficionados who suddenly emerged onto the scene.

Regards,

Simon
                      Hello Simon,

My apologies for misinterpreting your post and my abrupt response.
                      Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Hi Michael,

Regards,

Simon
                        Thank you, Simon. I'll take that as a compliment. I was the first and most ardent afficionado of Bradshaw's Guide.

I used to have access to a well-thumbed copy of Bradshaw's (1889 editon) but when I moved, the library I used suddenly became a longer and more arduous and unlikely trip than a rumbling train ride from Bournemouth to London and back.

I went to replace it, but soon discovered that it would set me back the price of several barrels of Guiness, so I balked.

Meanwhile, I see a lot of "confirmation bias" on this thread, and this is leaving me slightly amused.

I'm not a Druittist, per se, but I can see where these two cricket matches might allow a sliver of light to shine through---but not necessarily in the way most people assume.

As it currently stands, quite a lot rests on whether a man in a cricket cap took the 6.43 to Salisbury.

As for homosexual, who is Christer fooling? For all we know, MJD could have been slinking off to a heterosexual flogging-shop in Aldgate three nights a week and this is why Valentine gave him the bum's rush (no pun intended).

After all, some of the same people who claimed Druitt was a homosexual (he could have been--but there is hardly 'ample evidence' for it) tried to link him to Prince Eddy!

Which rather weakens their credibility, no?

All the best,

RP

Comment

• Hi Michael,

No problems.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Hi RJ,

I'm trying hard to imagine Druitt gathering his bat, bails and balls on the platform at Waterloo after a three-hour bone-rattling journey on the up train from Wiltshire, rubbing his hands together and exclaiming, "Cor, I could murder a dollymop tonight."

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

Thank you, Simon. I'll take that as a compliment. I was the first and most ardent afficionado of Bradshaw's Guide.

I used to have access to a well-thumbed copy of Bradshaw's (1889 editon) but when I moved, the library I used suddenly became a longer and more arduous and unlikely trip than a rumbling train ride from Bournemouth to London and back.

I went to replace it, but soon discovered that it would set me back the price of several barrels of Guiness, so I balked.

Meanwhile, I see a lot of "confirmation bias" on this thread, and this is leaving me slightly amused.

I'm not a Druittist, per se, but I can see where these two cricket matches might allow a sliver of light to shine through---but not necessarily in the way most people assume.

As it currently stands, quite a lot rests on whether a man in a cricket cap took the 6.43 to Salisbury.

As for homosexual, who is Christer fooling? For all we know, MJD could have been slinking off to a heterosexual flogging-shop in Aldgate three nights a week and this is why Valentine gave him the bum's rush (no pun intended).

After all, some of the same people who claimed Druitt was a homosexual (he could have been--but there is hardly 'ample evidence' for it) tried to link him to Prince Eddy!

Which rather weakens their credibility, no?

All the best,

RP
                              As a Holmes fan I felt obliged to buy myself a Bradshaw but my inner miser came to the fore and so I got a modern reprint. I’ve got a real deerstalker though
                              Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

• Hi Michael,

Your inner miser is a spendthrift.

When I was researching 1888/89 trains times to the Continent I went to the Internet Archive.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X