X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    He was a painter, too. There's an 1895 story of his doing the Queen's portrait and having to work 'close to the wrinkles.'
    Thanks Robert. I couldn't tell if that was his brother Randolph or not from the article I read.

Harold S Bellsmith died in June 1916 in New Jersey leaving a wife [Emilie] and two children.

Passenger lists show Bellsmith and his wife Emilie sailing from Liverpool to New York, arriving July 1st 1889

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    He was a painter, too. There's an 1895 story of his doing the Queen's portrait and having to work 'close to the wrinkles.'

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Interesting finds, Debs !
    Thanks, How. I just think it seems too much to be coincidence that Harold S Bellsmith was definitely in England in late 1888 and 1889 and would have used temporary lodgings as he was busy travelling the different photographic societies all over England and sometimes given the middle initial 'G' instead of 'S'

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Regarding Henry Wentworth Bellsmith and his first wife Susannah splitting up in 1888: Susannah and Henry are listed together with their children Ustace (sic), Evangeline, Frederick and Wentworth in the 1891 Canadian census.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Photography: The Journal of the Amateur, the Professional, and the Trade (London, England) Thursday, November 15, 1888 carried an interview with H S Bellsmith, described as the representative of the Eastman Dry Plate and Film Company currently "on a tour of demonstration among the societies of this country." Bellsmith is asked in the interview how long he has been in England and he answers; about 6 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Interesting finds, Debs !

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    For example in Dec 88

9 Dec 1888
    Chester Photographic Society H G Bellsmith demonstrating negatives enlargment and stripping for Eastman Co and also demonstrating the newly invented Kodak detective camera.
    Henry, Harolds brother is consistently listed as an accountant, whereas Harold S (G) Bellsmith definitely worked for Kodak Eastman and travelled to the UK frequently as their rep., giving demonstrations.

Edit; an 1889 Rochester directory says Harold S Bellsmith had removed to London.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    I still find it interesting that Harold S Bellsmith, brother of Henry, worked as a travelling rep for Eastman and Co and spent a lot of time in late 88/1889 touring the UK giving demonstrations. In some records his name is given as Harold G Bellsmith and also Henry.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Here's the illustration I posted earlier in the thread which I thought might be of Harold Septimus Bellsmith but wasn't certain as it wasn't labelled. Next to it is a photograph I came across recently of a Frederick M Bellsmith from Canadian WW1 archives. I think there's definitely a resemblence, showing the advert illustration is definitely of Harold Bellsmith who worked for Kodak Eastman.

bellsmiths.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
    Why connect the Brown murder with Bell Smith?

Wolf.
    Hi Wolf,

I had said earlier it was coincidental that he may have lived close to that murder site. I always throw a map down, Wolf. It seems to help me, at least, get a bigger picture of events.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf Vanderlinden
    replied
    Why connect the Brown murder with Bell Smith?

Wolf.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    The trees on Ancestry agree he died in 1926, only differing as to the place (New York v Florida).

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    The June 1905 census has them still in Brooklyn and living with them is Harold S Bellsmith (brother) and Henry Jr (age 11). By 1915 they had moved to Bergen County, New Jersey. The 1905 census states he has lived in the U.S for 16 years.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Naturalization Record

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    I found a Henry Bellsmith living at 1050 Park Avenue NY,NY in October 1890.

On the map I have provided here, assuming this is our Henry W Bellsmith, the locations show where he would have been between 1890 and 1900. *EDIT* Sorry, That was 1990 not 1890 for the Henry at Park Avenue. lol At least it shows the Spencer Street address.

Blue Arrow= East River Hotel at the corner of Catherine Slip and Water Street.
    Red Arrow= 183 Spencer Street, Brooklyn
    Bubble mark at top of map= 1050 Park Avenue

Leave a comment:

Working...
X